ELVIS COSTELLO FAN FORUM TRIBUTE CD

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Go for it
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Taz, you could include a stand up routine on relevant EC subject matter...
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hmm, I did "Honey Hush", what're the rules on this thing? Is that unallowable? I just want to detract "Riot Act".

If not, I can have a "Pills and Soap" for you within' reason.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Wanted to check in and see what the status on our loving tribute to the Man might be. Hope everyone is doing well.

Check the Annex for a link to an original Oliver's Army tune (albeit one written for commercial purposes). Still, we tried to keep the flavor of Elvis, while adding our own ideas. My favorite line:

"You attacked and you left me for dead;
I wasn't even sick."

Let me know about the cd, if there's anything to tell.

Muchas gracias,

noiseradio
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Recordings are all done and submitted. Just finalizing the final tracklist. I'm in the midst of three back to back exams, so that's slowing things down, but I'm hoping to have things done soon (and I mean it this time :lol: )
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

bambooneedle wrote:Is it too late for me to do an acapella Battered Old Bird (including knee slap accompaniment), or should that go on the next one?
If BAMBOO is doing this then can I do 'I want You' with the spoons and paper and comb? huh? huh? I can also add the triangle if you need a more professional approach.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I take it you wont be requiring my services then?.....*walks slowly into the sunset pouting, dragging her feet and kicking stones in a sulky kinda manner* :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

And how, my dear, did you know??
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Blue / Sulky......how are the cd and artwork coming so far?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Almost done!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Almost, Blue?

(sorry :lol: )
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

:lol:

Blue! Take your time. I'm working on purchasing a greaaat new home studio.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Ok I know I am pushy and impatient but I am so damn excited to hear the cd I feel like it's almost Christmas or something. :D
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I've decided I definitly want Riot Act taken off.

I think "Honey Hush" is just fine, and I fought the pain of my "Riot Act" to the ears for a while, and I kept it on because you talked a good talk.

But, I have an Everyday I Write the book in progress(if it's already done, than that's fine), and even if I don't get it done in time "Honey Hush" can hold its own.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun,

The deadline has long since passed, so while I will remove "Riot Act" if you wish, I will no longer be accepting any new contributions.

By the way, I apologize to everyone that I haven't finished the CD yet... it's getting there.. I've been having some technical issues with mastering the CD.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Okay, that's fine.

What is the exact process you're going through to finish this? What're you using to master it, anyway?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

SoundForge

All sorts of sound related stuff... noise filters... equalizers... essentially I'm making sure that the sound throughout is consistant. Some tracks were much louder than others, and the EQ should be more consistant.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Aw, I'm really excited to hear the difference in "honey hush"! 8)
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Blue

I wouldnt sweat blood over trying to get the whole CD sounding consistent - I think its the nature of the beast so to speak of a CD of this kind to sound a bit up and down - I think its part of the charm of a home recorded CD.
However if your bent on it you might try a program like T- Racks which is excellent for mastering tracks. Good Luck.
Bach_Fury

Tribute CD - More

Post by Bach_Fury »

Blue,
What a damn shame. I'm new to this group; just heard about your EC Tribute. What a difference a month makes!
Any chance you'll be doing a sequel or 2nd tribute compilation? Any tracks you'd like to have but have no takers (or maybe some unexpected vacancies)?
I've been performing/recording for years, and EC/DM is one of my all-time greatest influences. It'd be an honor to participate on a tribute. What stage are you at now?

--Bach Fury

PS: Just curious... has anyone run the idea past EC management insofar as copyright considerations?
I should be diving for pearls
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The only way it would infringe copyrights is if we tried to make profit off of this, which we aren't doing.
Bach_Fury

re: tribute/copyrights

Post by Bach_Fury »

Well, a lawyer I'm not, nor am I out to stir debate...
Just as hors d’oeuvres-for-thought, in my TV station management years, I had to run those kinds of things by Legal on many occasions... (ah, flashbacks of ASCAP/BMI paperwork nightmares). As I recall, profit was not the only consideration in dealing with intellectual property protections, but even with honorable works like "tributes" there were quirks with reproduction, adaptation, performance rights, fair use and garden variety plagarism-- but then, this is probably more like sharing among a circle of friends, and naturally, as a gift to EC himself.
All that aside, I'd love to offer my own tribute if there was room. Think there may be a 2nd release? Will also contribute my engineering services or studio to the mix / mastering if you could use it. How can I snag a copy of the finished recording?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, this isn't being released. Covering songs live is never a problem, and it shouldn't be if we are doing them for him.
Bach_Fury

Post by Bach_Fury »

Hey, BC,
As I said... I'm not out to debate. I'm with you; on your side; all for it; just offering a bit o' devil's advocate insight.

But let's get off the legalese. I've been hoping to get a word from you on ir there will be another release or some opportunity to play on a trib compilation.

--BF
thepopeofpop

Don't worry - EC will love it

Post by thepopeofpop »

I've been involved in EC tributes before, and I know from experience that Elvis loves them, especially if they involve real fans. I handed him just such a CD back in 1999 and his face lit up when he realised what it was.

(There, how's that for a first post!) :wink: