EC & EH, BankAmerica Pavillion Boston

Pretty self-explanatory
selfmademug

EC & EH, BankAmerica Pavillion Boston

Post by selfmademug »

Quick version, cause my feet hurt from walking a mile and a half from the venue to the damned T in 3-inch heels, after standing in them for a number of hours...

Setlist was very, very similar to Darby PA show. Standouts for me were Sleepless Nights (have always love that song!), Indoor Fireworks, and, most of all, duet with EH on Stranger in the House, which just summed up everything that's brilliant about Elvis-- he wrote the song a generation ago for a country legend, and damned if he wasn't up there on the stage tonight belting it out with one. Just great. Pete, Davey and Steve were just amazing; I never cease to be wowed by them. Davey's vocals make him a real standout on this tour. And Larry C., well, fucking brilliant. Fiddle and mandolin especially. Also, if they make a bio pic of The Band, he should play Rick Danko.

In other news, I am never, ever going to find a boyfriend at an Elvis gig. Unless Pete Thomas finds himself single. Sigh.... I'm wrapping my heart and my hormones up and sending them off to a relief agency in the midwest.

Special shout outs to the Lovely Poppet, with whom I shared many drinks and big ol' plate of Maine mussels, and the Social D tattoo twins we met from Providence: Cutest. Couple. Ever.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Stranger in the House with Emmylou!!?!! That must have been absolutely fantastic! I'm envious, SMM!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNe ... leid=95080

The Boston Herald

Costello, Harris pump it up in Hub
By Bill Brotherton

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Folks arriving at the Bank of America Pavilion last night expecting an opening set by Emmylou Harris were shocked to see Elvis Costello & the Imposters boldly stride onto the stage promptly at 8 p.m., before the sun had set over the harbor.

More than 2 1/2 hours and some 35 songs later, they were still in shock, having witnessed one of the more schizophrenic, but terrific, concerts the town has seen in many a moon.

Things started off splendidly, with Costello and his band, one of the best in the business, setting off indoor fireworks with seven brutal rock 'n' roll songs, one after another in breathless rat-a-tat-tat fashion, including ``(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea,'' ``Everyday I Write the Book'' and ``Uncomplicated.'' The apocalyptic ``Waiting For the End of the World'' was an early triumph, with Costello saying he wrote it nearly three decades ago on the London Underground.

The near-capacity crowd was frenzied. Then, Harris, the finest harmony singer in popular music, appeared like an angel from the wings. An absolute stunner in zebra cowgirl boots and long silver hair, Harris' ``vocal stylings'' made every song better, whether it was a Costello original, her own ``Red Dirt Girl'' or knockout covers of country classics.

But folks sat down, showing respect more than a love for the music.

Multi-instrumentalist Larry Campbell joined the fun to add oomph to the already muscle-bound Imposters, and Costello's expressive nasal bleat blended remarkably well with Harris' crystal-clear vocals. Recklessly fast versions of ``Luxury Liner,'' Merle Haggard's ``Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down'' and Hank Williams' ``Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to Do)'' drew ovations. But it was the quieter stuff that made the biggest impression: the Louvin brothers' ``My Baby's Gone'' and ``Sleepless Nights,'' which Harris first sang with her late partner Gram Parsons.

After 11 songs, Harris and Campbell were gone. Costello and company performed a batch of songs from the new ``The Delivery Man,'' with mixed results. The crowd stayed seated until ``Pump It Up'' and ``Alison,'' which drew a sing-along so loud it rocked the Pavilion tent - and included snippets of ``Suspicious Minds'' by that other Elvis.

Deadline forced an early exit, but the musicians were going strong at 10:45 p.m. Encore highlights included a terrific ``Pancho and Lefty'' by Harris and an inspirational version of the Stones' ``Wild Horses'' with great Costello/Harris vocals. Elvis and Emmylou are together only for a quickie two-week tour. It is a midsummer night's dream pairing.

Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris last night at the Bank of America Pavilion, Boston.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, I'm notoriously bad wth setlists but this may satisfy your curiosity until someone more, shall we say, accurate? posts the real thing... The order's screwed up at the end, and I'm missing about 5 of Emmylou's songs, my apologies for ignorance of those! She was fantastic; I feel so lucky to have seen this legendary country artist, to say nothing of seeing her do duets with my beloved Howard Coward.

Hurry Down Doomsday
Clown Strike
Everyday I Write the Book
Chelsea
Clubland (w/I Feel Pretty)
Uncomplicated
Waiting For the End of the World
Stranger in the House
Sleepless Nights
Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down
Indoor Fireworks
My Baby's Gone
Red Dirt Girl
American Without Tears
Heart-Shaped Bruise
The Delivery Man + Butcher Boy
Bedlam
Monkey to Man
Wild Horses
Nothing Clings Like Ivy
Master's Bouquet
Love Hurts
Country Darkness
Needle Time
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used to Do
PIU
Alison w/ YWA, SM
Masterpiece
PLU w/ A Summer Place
Scarlet Tide

Sorry that's massively screwed up, but it will give you a taste. Elvis said the duet with EH on Stranger In the House was a first. That and hearing them duet on Sleepless Nights was a stunning privilege.

TDM has not been my favorite album but boy those tracks cooked live. Needle Time was esp surprisingly great, and my two favorite tracks off the record, Country Darkness and Heart-Shaped Bruise, made me cry.

Doomsday was a great opener!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

PS, I can't believe I forgot this, and someone else must have documented this elsewhere on the tour, but he added words to the end of Scarlet Tide that made the anti-war ballad very much of the moment: "Admit you lied / Bring our boys home." I may not have that exactly right (so what else is new) but it was powerful and got a predictably supportive cheer from the Boston audience...
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I don't know if he did it exactly the same way in Boston, but on The Today Show he initially sang it as:

I thought I heard a black bell toll
Up in the highest dome
Admit you're wrong
Just bring the boys back home

The second time he sang:

I thought I heard a black bell toll
Up in the highest dome
Admit you lied
And bring the boys back home
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

And No Coffee Table wrote: I thought I heard a black bell toll
Up in the highest dome
Admit you lied
And bring the boys back home
Yup, that's how he finished it up. Highest dome = The Capitol building, if any non-US types didn't get that.

Does no one have the 'real' setlist yet?!

PS my feet still hurt
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

selfmademug wrote:TDM has not been my favorite album but boy those tracks cooked live. Needle Time was esp surprisingly great, and my two favorite tracks off the record, Country Darkness and Heart-Shaped Bruise, made me cry.
For me it's been like North: it took seeing it live to really get the magic of it. Not that the recording's bad, it just meant so much more afterwards. But it's a shame he's not playing large chunks of it now. Why is the fabulous The Name Of This Thing Is Not Love played ever? And wouldn't a duet with EH as LW on There's A Story In Your Voice sound great? Surely one drunken old biddy can be exchanged with another?!?
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
IStandAccused

Summer Place

Post by IStandAccused »

You mean the song "Summer Place" that Bobby Darin sang??? The classic? "Theres a summer place- where it may rain or storm, etc..."??? That "Summer Place"???
selfmademug wrote:Okay, I'm notoriously bad wth setlists but this may satisfy your curiosity until someone more, shall we say, accurate? posts the real thing... The order's screwed up at the end, and I'm missing about 5 of Emmylou's songs, my apologies for ignorance of those! She was fantastic; I feel so lucky to have seen this legendary country artist, to say nothing of seeing her do duets with my beloved Howard Coward.

Hurry Down Doomsday
Clown Strike
Everyday I Write the Book
Chelsea
Clubland (w/I Feel Pretty)
Uncomplicated
Waiting For the End of the World
Stranger in the House
Sleepless Nights
Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down
Indoor Fireworks
My Baby's Gone
Red Dirt Girl
American Without Tears
Heart-Shaped Bruise
The Delivery Man + Butcher Boy
Bedlam
Monkey to Man
Wild Horses
Nothing Clings Like Ivy
Master's Bouquet
Love Hurts
Country Darkness
Needle Time
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used to Do
PIU
Alison w/ YWA, SM
Masterpiece
PLU w/ A Summer Place
Scarlet Tide

Sorry that's massively screwed up, but it will give you a taste. Elvis said the duet with EH on Stranger In the House was a first. That and hearing them duet on Sleepless Nights was a stunning privilege.

TDM has not been my favorite album but boy those tracks cooked live. Needle Time was esp surprisingly great, and my two favorite tracks off the record, Country Darkness and Heart-Shaped Bruise, made me cry.

Doomsday was a great opener!
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
selfmademug

Re: Summer Place

Post by selfmademug »

IStandAccused wrote:You mean the song "Summer Place" that Bobby Darin sang??? The classic? "Theres a summer place- where it may rain or storm, etc..."??? That "Summer Place"???
Well, yes, that one, but it's just the little part Steve plays during it, you know?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anther thread has these details -

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=3361

Theme From A Summer Place by Percy Faith

Album: A Summer Place Soundtrack
Date: 1959
U.S. Chart: 1
U.K. Chart: 2

' This was part of the score for the 1959 movie A Summer Place, which stared Troy Donahue and was set on an island in Maine.
This was written by Austrian film composer Max Steiner, who also wrote the score for Casablanca.
In the US, this was the top selling single of 1960. It won the 1960 Grammy for Record Of The Year.
Faith was a composer who arranged songs for a variety of artists, including Tony Bennett and Johnny Mathis. He recorded this with his orchestra.
Faith's version was not used in the movie. That version was performed by Hugo Winterbalter's orchestra. '
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050723.php

2005-07-23: Boston, Bank of America Pavilion
Elvis Costello with Emmylou Harris & the Imposters
- Dave Farr

Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)
Clown Strike
Everyday I Write The Book
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Clubland - w. I Feel Pretty
Uncomplicated
Waiting For The End Of The World - w. Larry Campbell (LC)
Stranger In The House - w. Emmylou Harris (EH) & LC
One Of These Days - w. EH & LC
Sleepless Nights - w. EH & LC
Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down - w. EH & LC
Indoor Fireworks - w. EH & LC
Life's Companion - w. EH & LC
My Baby's Gone - w. EH & LC
Red Dirt Girl - EH on vocals, w. LC
American Without Tears - w. EH & LC
Heart Shaped Bruise - w. EH & LC
Luxury Liner - w. EH & LC
The Delivery Man/The Butcher's Boy
Bedlam
Monkey To Man
Country Darkness
Needle Time
Mystery Dance - w. LC
Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)? - w. LC
Pump It Up - w. LC
Alison/You Win Again/Suspicious Minds - w. LC
Encore 1
Wheels - w. EH & LC
Wild Horses - w. EH & LC
Pancho And Lefty - w. EH & LC
Nothing Clings Like Ivy - w. EH & LC
Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet - w. EH & LC
Love Hurts - w. EH & LC
When I Paint My Masterpiece - w. EH & LC
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - w. EH & LC
The Scarlet Tide - w. EH & LC
verbal gymnastics

Re: EC & EH, BankAmerica Pavillion Boston

Post by verbal gymnastics »

selfmademug wrote:In other news, I am never, ever going to find a boyfriend at an Elvis gig.
Well we're a strange lot! :lol:
selfmademug wrote:Special shout outs to ...the Social D tattoo twins we met from Providence: Cutest. Couple. Ever.
Hey - does this mean Mrs VG and I have been relegated :cry:

It sounds like a fantastic show. Looking at the setlists, the Elvis and Emmylou sections are getting longer and Larry Campbell is becoming more involved.

By the way, Steve's been interpolating Theme From A Summer Place into PLU for years - back to the early 1980s.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

verbal gymnastics wrote: By the way, Steve's been interpolating Theme From A Summer Place into PLU for years - back to the early 1980s.
Yeah, that's why I was surprised IStandAccused was surprised... but maybe he just never made the connection before.

And for the record, I will now have two separate categories for "Cutest. Couple. Ever.": left side of the pond and right side. You're definitely the cutest on the right side.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.livejournal.com/users/iluvzo ... 74695.html

I went to see Elvis Costello in Boston this weekend, and man was it awesome. The venue was basically a gigantic tent on a pier. It felt like going to a country fair in Cape Cod, if such a thing actually exists. Anyway, it was definitely an intimate show. He came out and played for three hours straight, with only a short break before the encore and a song or two that he sat out. At first, he came out and played about a half hour of his most raw material; for whatever reason, these songs seemed faster and more ferocious than they even sounded when he first recorded them decades ago. Then, he brought out Emmylou Harris, and they sang a long set of duets that ranged from magnificent to slightly boring. Still, as has been definitely seen on the new Bright Eyes album, she can harmonize with just about anyone and make them sound good.

There were a set of awesome covers; "Wild Horses" (In a completely unrelated note, it seems like every day my appreciation rises for the Rolling Stones), "Pancho and Lefty" (which was slightly off), and "Suspicious Minds," which Elvis sang coming right out of "Alison," which happens to be a personal favorite of mine. He also played "(What's so funny about) Peace Love and Understanding," second to last, and I now have an edict that every band on earth should play that song. It just feels so incredibly necessary.

During the show, there was this crazy drunk guy doing some kind of crazy drunken dance in front of me. After awhile, we started talking, and he decided he needed to tell me about "all the crazy shit going on in the world today." He then began explaining to me how JFK's assassination was connected to the Merovingian bloodline (don't ask) and how aliens are working with humans to create half-alien half-human hybrids (I told him he'd been watching a little too much X-files). The best exchange was this;

Weird drunk guy: So what do you believe in?
Me: I believe in lots of things
Weird drunk guy: Do you believe in God?
Me: Nope
Weird drunk guy: Do you believe in the Government?
Me: Not really
Weird drunk guy: Do you believe in the Government more than you believe in God?
Me: Well, the Government does exist...

*pause*

Weird drunk guy: That's good. I like that.

Finally, after the guy had been ranting at me for like fifteen minutes during the friggin' encore, his poor embarassed girlfriend (who was celebrating her birthday, to add to it) dragged him away.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

a rope leash was there! :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

selfmademug wrote:Doomsday was a great opener!
Other great openers that never were: Clean Money, Accidents Will Happen, Love For Tender, From a Whisper To a Sream, Why Don't You love me (Like you use to do)?, Man Out of Time, Everyday I write the book, Baby's got a brand new hairdo, Uncomplicated, Veronica, This Town..., Pony St., Sulky Girl, Still too soon to know (A REALLY GREAT ONE!), Complicated Shadows, In the Darkest Place, 45, You Turned to Me, Monkey to Man.
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Elvis has opened with several of those tracks, thomas. When I saw him at Massey Hall a year ago he opened with "45"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

yay, a proper set list, thank you!!!!!

ms mug, as always, was LOVELY.

the tatoo couple were endearingly cute.

the revelatory song of the night - American w/o Tears. i am not fond of it. but that rendition? it was FABULOUS. the audience could feel how perfect it was. it got people up and applauding.

oh, and Larry Campbell is AMAZING. rock guitar? oh yeah. GOOD stuff. every other stringed instrument in the world? sure, why not.

i was on the side w/ Steve (oh YAY!!!) - he has VERY long fingers. poppet sighs deeply at the sight of very long fingers. SIGH. and hey, there's theremin in just about EVERY song. hey, why not, it's COOL!

and, also on my side of the stage, was the mic when elvis and emmylou did their 'one mic' stuff, also the song w/ davey in the mix. davey was so cute! he'd take off his hat when he was harmonizing, maybe as a homage to the subject matter, or 'cause he's poke elvis and emmylou in the head, or both. then, stick the hat back on for the verses when he wasn't singing. so cute!!!

good show. :) and my second row seat was MAGNIFICENT. really REALLY nice.

happy poppet. now if only i didn't have so much damned work to do at a job i hate. oh well.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

Regarding the Boston setlist, he did the new one "Crooked Line" which was "co-written with his brother Henry". He referred to it again before Scarlet Tide. About a third of the way in.
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

Ah, my bad. Dave's go it in there as "Life's Companion".
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

selfmademug wrote:And for the record, I will now have two separate categories for "Cutest. Couple. Ever.": left side of the pond and right side. You're definitely the cutest on the right side.
I bet you say that to all the boys :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
whar

Post by whar »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I missed him open with Hurry Down Doomsday. I had just begun to add this song to mixes again *after the (gasp!) production threw me off- you just can't play this song loud*, pointing out the Toyotas around us when I have the girlfriend in the car.
Oy with the poodles, already!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

'just a lackey' - tks for the info re: Life's Companion. i couldn't recall if that was perhaps a Louvin Bros. tune as well, and i didn't remember which one was the latest T-Bone/Elvis composition.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
TheComedian

Post by TheComedian »

The Globe liked the gig, too:

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles ... americana/

Costello takes a trip through Americana
By Tom Kielty, Globe Correspondent | July 26, 2005

Over the course of his long career, Elvis Costello has taken to exploring musical territories beyond the brash pop that first earned him his ardent following. Costello's latest examination is of American roots music, and what better guide could he hope for than Emmylou Harris?
During a three-hour performance at the Bank of America Pavilion on Saturday, Costello and his fine-tuned backing band, the Imposters, turned the pages of his articulate and energetic catalog and provided a glimpse of the American songbook that has influenced the singer longer than some would guess.
Costello began with a flurry of his own classics, culminating with the desperation of ''Clubland" and the funky ''Waiting for the End of the World," which featured the unlikely but enjoyable addition of pedal steel guitar from guest Larry Campbell.
Then Harris joined the ensemble and, as if a switch had been flipped, the Imposters transformed from raucous rock outfit to impressive honky-tonk band. Costello offered up ''Stranger in the House" as both singers proclaimed reverence for country legend George Jones. Harris offered ''One of These Days," a song written by Earl Montgomery that found Steve Nieve channeling the keyboard ace who once played for a guy named Elvis: Floyd Cramer, who recorded with Presley.
Harris eventually exited to allow Costello to showcase selections from his recent release, ''The Delivery Man," highlighted by the rollicking ''Monkey to Man." He served up an additional helping of classics that included a simmering segue from ''Mystery Dance" to Hank Williams's ''Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to Do)?"
Rejoined by Harris for a 10-song encore, Costello reached deep into classic Americana, with Harris singing the Townes Van Zandt standard ''Pancho and Lefty." For Costello, the aggression of youth has given way to the wisdom of maturity, and with a companion as graceful as Harris along for the ride, the trip proved one for the ages.
© Copyright 2005 Globe Newspaper Company.
I don't care if I'm right or wrong,
Or if my typewriter can spell.