Elvis & Emmy @ Central Park - Roll Call

Pretty self-explanatory
elvicos01

Elvis & Emmy @ Central Park - Roll Call

Post by elvicos01 »

Anyone going?

I am going with my son, and hopefully will be there about 5:30 (gates open @ 6:00). When we went in 2003, we got there when the gates opened and ended up about 10 feet from the stage.
Why are we racing to be so old?
alexv

Post by alexv »

I will be there, with family and friends in tow, but like the show in the Park two years ago, we are going to stake out a little lawn spot near the site, and listen to the show while getting getting pleasantly buzzed, and hopefully not rained upon. It will be an aural Elvis night. About three of us will actually try to pay attention to the music; the teenagers will be tuned to their IPods and will look for any opportunity to dis our portly (their word, not mine) hero, and the wives/girlfriends (none of whom like the man) will be doing whatever they heck they do when they get together. I am sorry to say that not much respect is paid to the sanctity of this event. EC Forum members who wish to steer the group towards the light are welcome and will be offered liquor.
kuanyin

Yes indeed

Post by kuanyin »

Yup, we will be there, as always, faithful servants that we are.

Also Philly, CT, Boston, VA and Newport. It's an Elvis kinda summer.

Got soaked last time, so praying for clear skies, but I don't think the weatherman is cooperating.

Have a hoot, everyone!

T & B
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

I'll be there, solo. A friend of a friend is going, but since our mutual friend isn't going now, we won't be meeting up beforehand.

So, I'll see the show, and then head downtown to get schnookered with my non-EC friends. ;)
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You should all meet up. We had a meet up for the London show in February and there were a whole bunch of us. It was great to meet some new people.

My only complaint was that it went so quickly.

This board has brought me some very good friends. There are also some good friends here who I have yet to meet.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

I've been to several meet-ups over the years, through the mailing list, but I've been NOMAIL lately due to a complete inability to keep up with all those daily emails.

I should get back on just to see whassup...
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

Give me a PM before 3:00pm EDT, and we try and pick a place to get together
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

Just back from the show. It was hottest day in New York this year. Mid 90’s with high humidity. How Elvis wore a suit throughout, I will never know. But Elvis and the boys were great. Larry Campbell was fantastic, as was Emmylou

Here's the set list:

Temptation
Clown Strike
Every Day I Write the Book
Monkey to Man
Country Darkness
Needle Time

enter Larry Campbell
Waiting for the End of the World
There's A Story in Your Voice

enter Emmylou Harris
I Still Miss Someone
Sleepless Nights
One of These Days
Indoor Fireworks
My Baby's Gone
Tonite the Bottle Let Me Down
Nothing Clings Like Ivy
Red Dirt Girl
Heart Shaped Bruise
Luxury Liner

exit Larry and Emmy
The Delivery Man/The Butcher's Boy
Chelsea
Clubland w/I Feel Pretty

enter Larry
Alison/Suspicous Minds
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me
Pump it Up w/Whole Lotta Love

Encore 1
w/Emmylou and Larry
Wheels
Wild Horses
Pancho & Lefty
Gathering Flowers for Her Masters Bouquet
Love Hurts
When I Paint My Masterpiece
Peace Love & Understanding
The Scarlet Tide

2 ½ hours long.

Off to the showers now, then to sleep. More tomorrow
verbal gymnastics

I am not jealous
I am not jealous
I am not jealous

Well I am. A bit. A small bit.

Anyone believe me?

I look forward to seeing reports.
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

That set is an awful lot like the Atlanta set so I guess it worked for them. I know I loved the hell out of it. I was thinking the same thing about him wearing the suit at Chastain Park, it was in the low 90's there as well. Don't know how he does it, and then after the show he almost always wears a black leather jacket and hat. Has anybody ever asked him about it?
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... 1850c.html

Costello adds heat to swelter
By MAC RANDALL
DAILY NEWS WRITER
Wednesday, July 20th, 2005

"Pity about it being so cold and all," Elvis Costello cracked toward the beginning of his Central Park SummerStage concert last night.
Or maybe it wasn't a crack. Despite the oppressive New York heat, the dapper singer was dressed in a jet-black suit, which he kept on for the entire two-hour-plus show, never betraying a hint of discomfort.

The crowd that packed Rumsey Playfield might have been a little less comfortable than Costello, but the horrid weather certainly didn't keep anyone away.

Neither did the $60 ticket price, the highest in the history of the annual concert series. (Yes, we know, this was supposed to be a benefit for the purpose of keeping other SummerStage shows free. But judging by this year's schedule, the percentage of those no-pay nights is rapidly dwindling.)

Steamy, sweaty nights call for steamy, sweaty music, and Costello provided just that, with a set that delved deep into country and blues.

He was aided in his efforts for much of the show by the singing and guitar playing of Emmylou Harris - who guest-starred on Costello's most recent album, "The Delivery Man," and who, more than 30 years ago, sang backup for one ofCostello's greatest musical idols, country-rock pioneer Gram Parsons.

The spirit of Parsons loomed particularly large during two songs closely associated with him, "Sleepless Nights" and the Rolling Stones' "Wild Horses," both of which proved to be scintillating duet material for Costello and Harris.

The two singers also harmonized sweetly on several other country chestnuts, including Johnny Cash's "I Still Love Someone," Merle Haggard's "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down" and Hank Williams' "Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to Do)."

Harris got a chance to shine on her own "Red Dirt Girl" and "One of These Days," while guitarist Larry Campbell turned heads with his blazing fretwork.

Still, in the end, the night belonged to Costello and his three-piece band, the Imposters. Late in the show, during the outro of one of his biggest hits, "Alison," Costello started singing the words to "Suspicious Minds," made famous by another guy named Elvis.

Bassist Davey Faragher stepped to the mike to sing a stratospheric harmony part, and for a second, the temperature didn't seem all that bad.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Pump it Up w/Whole Lotta Love

from listserv -

"Whole Lotta Love"? Now *that's* unexpected!

Pretty sure that would have been "Aint That a Lot of Love" (by Taj Mahal) which I've heard paired with PIU on boots.

Maybe this song?

I know the desert could hold all the love that I feel in my heart for you
Just like the ocean that started to roll, my love it could be coming to you
Ain't that a lot of love for one heart to hold

If the cook in the kitchen had a touch as hot as yours, it wouldn't need a fire
I can't think of a word that describes you better than indescribable

If the bees only knew how sweet you were, darling, they would shut up their honey comb
If the birds could hear how sweet your voice is, they'd pack up and fly away
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This photo is at the earlier link -

Elvis Costello is joined by special guest Emmy Lou Harris
when he performed live in concert at the Central Park
Summer Stage last night.
verbal gymnastics

Great hair - Spike on the beloved entertainer :lol:
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

And the jacket looks a bit tight on the belly. :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

I'd like to thank the nice woman who handed me a cheese and cracker on my way to the end of the line to get in. I really needed it!

Would someone tell me about the additional lyric added to TDM. Normally, I do not like that song (I find it TD ous!), but he added a few verses. Was this another song? I liked the song much better with the additional words.

Elviscos1 lists it as The Butcher Boy. I assume he's correct, would someone fill me in on that song?
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-deta ... urce_audio

Buell Kazee-The Butcher's Boy (The Railroad Boy)

Recorded on January 16, 1928 in New York City. This is another mountain ballad that appears to be the product of British ballads that were combined after they reached America. A variation on the "murdered girlfriend" theme in that here the girlfriend takes her own life. Kazee was a baptist minister who sang with a "recital" voice, rather than the raw singing style that is more prevalent in recordings of this type.

Elvis first did the song back in 2001 -
see
http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 0504a.html

and

http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 0430a.html

(extract)

' .......in the 1920s, if there was no one around to kill you, you had to do it yourself -- as with the lovelorn female protagonist of ''The Butcher's Boy,'' who's so upset by her suitor's infidelity, she hangs herself in her parents' house. That song was irresistible enough to be performed twice, first by Van Dyke Parks with a string quartet, and later by Elvis Costello as a rock & roll scorcher.'
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

Thanks!

Now that I have that straight, what song did EC segue into from Pump It Up (I left early!) Was it "Whole Lotta Love" or "Aint That a Lot of Love." There's a big difference!
//I can't forgive you for things you haven't done yet
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

Miss Macbeth wrote:That set is an awful lot like the Atlanta set so I guess it worked for them. I know I loved the hell out of it. I was thinking the same thing about him wearing the suit at Chastain Park, it was in the low 90's there as well. Don't know how he does it, and then after the show he almost always wears a black leather jacket and hat. Has anybody ever asked him about it?
At one point toward the end, I yelled out, "LOOSEN YOUR TIE!!!!" It was driving me crazy.

I had a good time, even with the airless heat and having to stand for 3 straight hours. I was 3 ft. from the stage, toward the left corner. There was no crowd rush toward the front, not in that heat.

The mix was a little too country for my tastes, but I always enjoy hearing Clown Strike and the I Feel Pretty bit in Clubland. Wild Horses was cool. I'm over Alison/Suspicious Minds, though. I'm surprised he even plays that song in New York.

I kept track of the setlist on my BlackBerry, but it's already been posted, and more accurately than mine would be. ;)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oh, i ADORE 'Wild Horses'!

crossing fingers and toes, etc. etc. for that in boston!!!!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Now that I have that straight, what song did EC segue into from Pump It Up (I left early!) Was it "Whole Lotta Love" or "Aint That a Lot of Love." There's a big difference!

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/050719.php

John E. is listing "Aint That a Lot of Love " , so thats probably the one.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ledger/ ... xml&coll=1

Costello and company

Thursday, July 21, 2005
BY JAY LUSTIG
Star-Ledger Staff

NEW YORK -- "Featuring the vocal stylings of Emmylou Harris." That was the way the legendary country singer's Tuesday night appearance at Central Park Summerstage -- with Elvis Costello and his band, the Imposters -- was billed.

It meant she wouldn't open the show, but would sing with Costello. And she did, in fact, play a central role in Costello's set, her gossamer tone blending smoothly with Costello's comparatively gruff but still richly burnished voice.

She sang on more than half the songs, including all eight encores -- everything from the hard-rocking protest song "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" to a cover of the Rolling Stones' tender "Wild Horses." She also led the Imposters, featuring two members of Costello's original Attractions band (keyboardist Steve Nieve, drummer Pete Thomas), through her own "Red Dirt Girl" and a cover of Townes Van Zandt's "Pancho and Lefty."

This was the second show of a two-week tour, which follows Harris' guest appearances on Costello's 2004 album "The Delivery Man" and his April DVD, "Club Date: Live in Memphis." Eight of the 13 "Delivery Man" songs, from the stately "Country Darkness" to the playful "Monkey To Man," made it into the show.

The 2 1/2-hour show had plenty of room for everything. Costello -- who kept his jacket on all night long, despite the heat and humidity -- didn't stint on older material such as the punk-era anthem "Pump It Up," the slinky, deep-grooved "Temptation," the pop confection "Everyday I Write the Book," the Elvis (Presley)-ish "Mystery Dance," and rhythmically jagged compositions like "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" and "Clubland."

Multi-instrumentalist Larry Campbell appeared on all of Harris' songs, and some other numbers as well. His pedal steel was appropriately spooky on "Waiting For the End of the World." And his lilting lead guitar allowed Costello to get closer to the sound of the original recording of "Alison" than Costello can with just his own rhythm guitar.

Inspired by the presence of Harris and Campbell, Costello indulged his lifelong love of American roots music. An Englishman who now lives in New York with wife, pianist Diana Krall, ("It's good to be home again," he said), he found a middle ground between honky tonk and British pub-rock on covers of Merle Haggard's "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down" and Hank Williams' "Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)?" He also gave a country twist to Bob Dylan's "When I Paint My Masterpiece," featuring Campbell on mandolin.

"There's a certain type of music that you can't sing on two microphones," Costello said before sharing a mike with Harris, bluegrass-style, for the Louvin Brothers' "My Baby's Gone." He, Harris and bassist Davey Faragher also huddled around a microphone, with Campbell playing violin behind them, for the country standard "Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet."

Harris sang with country-rock pioneer Gram Parsons in the early 1970s, and Costello is clearly a fan of Parsons, who died in 1973. Costello covered two Parsons songs on his 1981 country album, "Almost Blue," and Tuesday's show was full of songs written and/or recorded by Parsons: "Wheels," "Sleepless Nights" and a breathlessly fast version of "Luxury Liner," in addition to "Wild Horses" (which Parsons sang with his band, the Flying Burrito Brothers) and the signature duet of the Parsons/Harris partnership, "Love Hurts."

It took nerve to sing "Love Hurts" with Harris, since her version with Parsons is definitive. But Costello pulled it off, echoing Parsons' haunted but stoic delivery without stooping to mere mimicry; the merged voices conveyed a message of hope that transcended the lyrics' bleakness.

© 2005 The Star Ledger
© 2005 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.
verbal gymnastics

Now I'm even more jealous. :lol:

When Elvis was asked at Birmingham in May if he would tour the UK with Emmylou he said that no one had offered enough money. We've gotta have a whip round!

We're having an extension built on the house and I would gladly donate the money we've saved.

(Mrs VG may not be so pleased though but, you know, it's Elvis and Emmylou Harris! Would anybody please try and explain this in court for me when she divorces me?! :lol: )
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From Larry Campbell's site -

http://members.cox.net/jmunsey4/ElvisEmmyloutour2.htm

These photos were taken on July 19, 2005 while
Larry was touring with Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris.

Thanks to Tony Pepitone for the photos.

Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris and Larry Campbell

Elvis Costello and Larry Campbell
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From a Emmy forum -

http://www.emmylou.net/ehforum/DCForumID1/1268.html

Here's the review in Variety of the Elvis/Emmylou concert in NYC:

July 21, 2005, Thursday
Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris
BYLINE: DAVID SPRAGUE

Central Park Summerstage, New York; 5,000 capacity; $ 60)

Presented by Metropolitan Talent and City Parks Foundation. Band: Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, Larry Campbell, Davey Faragher, Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas. Reviewed July 19, 2005.

How hot was it in Gotham on Tuesday night? Hot enough that even old sourpuss Elvis Costello couldn't help but get in touch with his inner Johnny Carson to make a passel of weather-related wisecracks during his sweaty Central Park show. While Costello and his band were afforded top billing, things didn't really heat up --- so to speak --- until the guests started arriving onstage.

A somewhat sluggish opening salvo, dominated by songs from Costello's recent "Delivery Man" album, kicked into higher gear when longtime Dylan sideman Larry Campbell clambered onstage to punch up "Waiting for the End of the World," giving the song a much more menacing tone than Costello has mustered in recent times.

Emmylou Harris, who's sharing the bill with Costello on a handful of summer dates, followed Campbell to the stage, her inimitable blend of fragility and authority as evident as ever. Any doubts as to whether the pair would be able to pull off the duet thing were dispelled by the time they got midway through the first of their collaborations --- a bluer-than-blue version of Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone."

Forays into country (like a version of "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down") or pseudo-country (an encore rendition of the Gram Parsons-inspired Stones chestnut "Wild Horses") brought out the best in the duo. Venturing outside the twang continuum, as they did on a version of the "Imperial Bedroom" nugget "Indoor Fireworks," they saw a good bit of their oomph evaporate.

For her handful of solo perfs, Harris didn't venture too far from her book of standards, but Campbell's six-string push helped her draw plenty of juice from oft-squeezed tunes like "Red Dirt Girl" and "One of These Days."

Perhaps loosened up by the humidity, Costello closed the show with a winking, good-natured spate of tunes that commingled favorites from his own catalog with offbeat cover snippets --- sneaking a bit of "Suspicious Minds" into "Alison" and punctuating "Pump It Up" with chunks of "Whole Lotta Love." Those pub-rock roots have seldom shone through more vividly.