Elvis on Letterman , July 21

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis on Letterman , July 21

Post by johnfoyle »

From a Lost Highway e-mail -

- On July 21st, Elvis will perform with Emmylou Harris on The Late Show with David Letterman.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Haha I recieved that too...I wonder if that show airs on Canada? Sorry, i dont really know much about T.V but I certainly want to watch this one. Emmylou is a great singer (P.S did anyone know Elvis baught her an Ipod and filled it with country and jazz on shuffle? I'd love to hear which songs he put in there!) 8)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

thomasso wrote:Haha I recieved that too...I wonder if that show airs on Canada? Sorry, i dont really know much about T.V but I certainly want to watch this one. Emmylou is a great singer (P.S did anyone know Elvis baught her an Ipod and filled it with country and jazz on shuffle? I'd love to hear which songs he put in there!) 8)
Uhh... Letterman has always aired in Canada. It's on OMNI and our Buffalo, NY CBS affilliate.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

OMNI i tihnk I heard of that. I'll check the TV guide...can't miss it! Thanks Blue Chair, I just don't know a damn thing about my own tv! :oops:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I hear they come with remote controls these days
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Haha well I'd buy a a remote control for my computer though. in fact as might as well through my tv in the dumpster. It's horrible what it's doing to out society...P.S do you guys think Elvis made a lot of money even with his weakest selling album? I never really understood If he makes a lot of money with his cds or not. I know that WIWC sold 194 000 copies, but how much could he get from that? (And that was one of his strongest-selling alubms, too!)
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I wish they were taping this on June 21 ... then I would be able to go!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

thomasso wrote:I know that WIWC sold 194 000 copies, but how much could he get from that? (And that was one of his strongest-selling alubms, too!)
I think WIWC is actually among Elvis' weaker selling albums, not stronger. This Year's Model sold 500,000 copies
LittleFoole

Re: Elvis on Letterman , July 21

Post by LittleFoole »

johnfoyle wrote:From a Lost Highway e-mail -

- On July 21st, Elvis will perform with Emmylou Harris on The Late Show with David Letterman.
Cool !!! Thanks for the heads up 8)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

BlueChair wrote:
thomasso wrote:I know that WIWC sold 194 000 copies, but how much could he get from that? (And that was one of his strongest-selling alubms, too!)
I think WIWC is actually among Elvis' weaker selling albums, not stronger. This Year's Model sold 500,000 copies
The 'Gold' Award (500.000 copies sold in the USA) for This Year's Model was reached in 1991 (after 13 years). So the sales of TYM in 1978 may be more or less comparable to the sales of WIWC in 2002. We will have to wait and see if WIWC will become as succesfull in EC's backcatalogue as TYM.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I doubt if Elvis makes much money from his album sales. Where he is earning would be from his publishing. He made more from Linda Ronstadts version of Alison than from his sales in the late 70's. PIU is a staple at sports stadiums in the US (bizarrely Gary Glitters main earner these days is the continuing use of Rock 'N' Roll pt.2 at North American sports stadiums, truly ironic) which must be a nice earner as well. One can safely say Elvis earned more last year from his compositions on his wifes album than TDM. He's doing ok, no chance of him starving.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

martinfoyle wrote:I doubt if Elvis makes much money from his album sales. Where he is earning would be from his publishing. He made more from Linda Ronstadts version of Alison than from his sales in the late 70's. PIU is a staple at sports stadiums in the US (bizarrely Gary Glitters main earner these days is the continuing use of Rock 'N' Roll pt.2 at North American sports stadiums, truly ironic) which must be a nice earner as well. One can safely say Elvis earned more last year from his compositions on his wifes album than TDM. He's doing ok, no chance of him starving.
He gets royalties, because he is the artist that the recordlabel has signed.
Besides that, EC gets paid for writing all the music and all the lyrics. And in the end, he receives money for (co)producing (most of) his records. So I think that he earns easily 1 till 2 € for each record sold.

He has the rights to his first eleven albums, so the earnings from those could be even better.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Don't forget touring.. I'm sure Elvis makes a large chunk of his money doing that.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Thx guys, nice info. I don't think he's a big spender though, he dosn't seem like one (400$ guitar :P ). Anybody know any info about his house?
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

Cool! I'll be seeing him & Emmylou at Summerstage on the 19th, and then he's on Letterman on my birthday! Go me!
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'll have to Tivo this. I'll be on an airplane on my way to a badly needed vacation in Australia.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Summerstage on the 19th, Tower Theater, Philadelphia on the 20th and Letterman on the 21st.....a TRIFECTA!
I'm not angry anymore....
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

and boston pavillion on the 23rd.

::insert huge grin here::
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Despite popular opinion, I thought Elvis did a very good job as a guest host on Letterman when he was out with his bypass surgery. Clearly not on anyone's short list as a talk show host extraordinaire, Elvis was a risk for them, yet they put him on the hot seat and I think he did a great job. It's a funny thing: the job looks fairly simple..."How hard can it be???".

But it must be a bitch, because other guest hosts have crashed and burned...people with a better resume for this type of thing. Elvis was witty, modest, a bit shy, disarming, and asked some very thoughtful questions. Overall, scored high on the likeability index, although no one would ever envision him as changing careers anytime soon.

I would love to see another guest host opportunity for him in the future. He is brilliantly witty on the spot, and with the Letterman experience under his belt, I think he would give a great performance.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mr. Average wrote:Despite popular opinion, I thought Elvis did a very good job as a guest host on Letterman when he was out with his bypass surgery.
I agree Mr. A. I was pleasantly surprised. Thought he did quite a good job. The only really awkward moment for me was the interview with whatsherface from "Sex In The City". That couldn't end soon enough.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

I've never seen that show, but I bet it was fricken hilarious. Does anybody have it?
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Elvis was GREAT as the guest host on Letterman! He was charming and witty and pretty funny too. I'd love to see him do it again.
I'm not angry anymore....
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

I have it on tape. He ended up being quite charming during the hour, sprinkled with little moments of awkwardness, but he always seemed to be enjoying himself, which is probably how he won people over.

I remember it took me a while to even adjust to seeing him in that role, it seemed so surreal at first. I'll have to watch it again tonight...
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
Miss Macbeth

Post by Miss Macbeth »

EC's official site says that he and Emmylou will be performing "Love Hurts" on the Tonight Show on the 21st. Hmm...don't think I've heard that one before. Is it new, or one of her's?
"Did you ever think there's far too many people in the world"?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's by Boudleaux and Felice Bryant , first recorded by The Everly Brothers in 1960 .

Emmy did a classic version of it with Gram Parsons in the 1970's.

see

http://www.nashvillesongwritersfoundati ... ryant.html