Here's how the local 'paper previews tonights show -

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ ... 047547.htm

Posted on Fri, Mar. 04, 2005

The Charlotte Observer

The other Elvis is coming

Elvis Costello will draw from his eclectic body of work at Grady Cole

COURTNEY DEVORES

Special to the Observer

Fifty years from now, rock's other Elvis, the bespectacled British one, may best be remembered by mainstream pop fans for his handful of minor hits, including "Everyday I Write the Book" and "Alison." But Elvis Costello's musical journey has been much more circuitous than those songs would suggest.

When Costello unleashed the snarling, pub-rock shuffle of his debut album, "My Aim is True," no one could have predicted the nerdy bandleader in the skinny suit would spend the next 30 years bulldozing rock's boundaries, writing and recording soul, country, lite pop, jazz and even classical.

He was initially considered punk for his angry-young-man attitude, but Costello was never a sloppy musician. He did sing his literate songs with the passion and edge of such punk contemporaries as the Sex Pistols' Johnny Rotten or the Clash's Joe Strummer. That passion, combined with Costello's unique perspectives on romance and politics and his congested-sounding singing voice, have made him a rock 'n' roll icon.

At 51, Costello continues to surprise his fans. In September, he released two markedly different albums, "The Delivery Man," his return to Americana-style rock; and "Il Sogno," his first full orchestral work.

Costello and his new backing band, The Imposters, make a rare Charlotte appearance at the Grady Cole Center Tuesday.

Here is an abridged survey of Costello's work, from his punk beginnings to the present:

• 1977 "MY AIM IS TRUE": Posing on the album's mod checkerboard cover like Buddy Holly on acid, Costello stuck out like a geek at a biker party the same year Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane went down. With nods to folk, country, reggae and rockabilly, "Aim" includes his classic songs "Alison" and "Watching the Detectives."

• 1978 "THIS YEAR'S MODEL": On his second album, Costello introduced his longtime band, the Attractions. Punkier than the debut, it includes such scorchers as "Pump it Up," the ska-tinged "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" and "Radio Radio," his biting criticism of bland pop.

• 1979 "ARMED FORCES": His first and only disc to crack Billboard's Top 10 Pop Albums chart, "Forces" is a collection of quick, feisty power pop songs densely packed with clever parallels between war and love.

• 1980 "GET HAPPY": Costello took a soulful detour on this, pumping out 20 short bursts that run from Motown to Southern soul to Northern soul.

• 1981'S "TRUST": The songs on "Trust" are all over the map, from soul to jazzy flourishes to Tin Pan Alley.

• 1981 "ALMOST BLUE": A huge surprise when it came out, "Blue" is an all-country collection recorded in Nashville, and featuring songs made famous by Patsy Cline, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn and Hank Williams.

• 1982 "IMPERIAL BEDROOM": With its Picasso-like cover, he branches out again on this concept album that pays tribute to both Cole Porter and the Beatles.

• 1983-1998: Costello released an eclectic string of albums from the early '80s to the late-'90s, some of which were strong (the country-folk of "King of America," in 1986), but most of which suffered from fatigue. He also scored his biggest hit, "Veronica," from his 1989 album "Spike."

• 1998 "PAINTED FROM MEMORY": From the late '90s to the early 2000s, he embarked on several collaborations, including this stunner with '60s pop songwriter Burt Bacharach.

2004 "IL SOGNO" and "THE DELIVERY MAN": Last year, Costello recorded these two very different albums. "Sogno," his first full-length orchestral work, was composed in 2000 for Aterballeto, an Italian dance company, and is based on "A Midsummer Night's Dream." "The Delivery Man" finds Costello doing what he does best: writing songs in the folk and rock veins, with influences from both American and British sources.

PREVIEW

Elvis Costello and the Imposters

Eclectic rock icon makes a rare appearance in Charlotte. Grammy-nominated N.C. singer Tift Merritt opens.

WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. WHERE: Grady Cole Center, 310 N. Kings Drive.

TICKETS: $35.

DETAILS: (704) 522-6500; http://www.ticketmaster.com.
DeepSpaceMind

Post by DeepSpaceMind »

Newbie here.

Having just gotten into Elvis within the past year this was my first concert of his that I have ever been to and man what an incredible show. The amount of energy exhibited and the wide array of songs made for one of the best concerts I have ever been to. I'm sure someone else has the whole set, but everything was well done and it seemed like the crowd was pretty into it.

I have seen David Bowie, Rush, Dave Matthews Band and others and the show tonight may have just beaten them all out. A large part of that had to do with the General Admission. Even on a bum ankle I had managed to twist earlier this week I was able to be about 5 people deep from the barrier in front of the stage, which is the closest I think I will ever be able to get to the stage at a big concert. I am fairly certain that during "Needle Time" I got a nod of recognition from Elvis for my stereotypical white boy head bob I was doing the whole show. :lol:

Here's hoping he comes back to Charlotte in the future, if not I need to start saving up some traveling money as I will need to go again and again and again....
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Welcome to the board, DeepSpaceMind !
Thanks for the report. Good to hear that Elvis is still attracting new fans.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
migdd

Post by migdd »

Well, it WAS a great show despite a very sick Elvis! The voice that was showing signs of wear and tear just 2 nights ago at the Atlanta Tabernacle was now completely shot. Elvis struggled through 28 songs (compared to 33 songs just 2 nights prior) without a break and the show clocked in at just about 2 hours compared to the 2 1/2 hour set that has become standard for the tour. I'll post a setlist tomorrow if nobody beats me to it. The show was even heavier than usual on the rockers, Elvis seeming to choose songs that wouldn't stretch his already taxed vocal chords.

Nonetheless, EC was a trouper and the band sounded as tight and spot on as they usually do. His spirits were fairly high, responding to a very enthusiastic crowd, despite the fact that you could tell he was not feeling very well. The Grady Cole Center had surprisingly good acoustics for what is basically a community college gymnasium, usually used for basketball games and the occasional rock concert.

Next stop tomorrow night. . .the Ryman in Nashville. Hope EC gets to feeling better very soon. Take it way Spookys. . .!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ ... 086806.htm

The Charlotte Observer

AUDIENCE SOAKS UP 3 DECADES OF GREATEST HITS FROM LEGENDARY SONGWRITER-PERFORMER

Costello wins in 1st show in city

COURTNEY DEVORES

Special to the Observer

Music fans ranging from their early 20s to late 50s filed into the Grady Cole Center on the campus of Central Piedmont Community College Tuesday night for Elvis Costello's first Charlotte gig of his 35-plus year career.

"I don't think we've ever played in Charlotte before," he said five songs into the set, taking his first breath after running through well-known favorites "Mystery Dance," "Tear Off Your Own Head (It's a Doll Revolution)," and "Radio, Radio."

The crowd snapped to attention as soon as Costello and his band, which includes longtime members of The Attractions guitarist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas, hit the stage.

"That's Elvis Costello!" said Caitlin Lacy, 23, as the 50-year-old Brit approached his mike in a black suit, looking ever the chic geek in a striped tie and glasses. "I'm pretty excited."

One fan guessed that the $35 ticket price kept younger fans away.

"If the ticket price had been cut in half the age of this crowd would be cut in half," said Brian Rayfield, 22. "There is a whole scene of college kids whether they're from CPCC, UNCC or even UNC Greensboro that would have come to this show if the tickets had been cheaper."

Ticket prices didn't keep struggling local musicians away.

Hope Nichols and members of The Mersey Sound, First Night on Earth, Esposito, Hard Times Family, Lou Ford, and Bellglide turned up to catch the influential legend.

"I'm a ridiculous fan," said Chad Edwards, 31, of Hard Times Family. "Except for the songs off of the new album, I know all of the words."

Costello balanced new songs like the slow Americana of "Country Darkness" from his latest release "The Delivery Man," with old favorites like the bopping reggae-tinged "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea" and "Clubland."

He pulled out all the stops for the finale, which included "Pump It Up" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding."

During the end of "Alison," which saw couples slow dancing, he veered into one verse from that other Elvis' "Suspicious Minds."

Then, he abandoned his microphone, approaching the front of the stage for a beautiful ballad. The crowd, bathed in goose bumps, was finally dead quiet.

It was a perfect end to a great show and a perfect way for Costello's fans to pay a quiet, respectful tribute to a true musical legend.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Here's the setlist:

1. Uncomplicated (w/Shotgun)
2. Mystery dance
3. Tear Off Your Own Head
4. Radio Radio
5. Button My Lip
6. Country Darkness
7. Needle Time
8. Blame It On Cain (great!)
9. Either Side of the Same Town
10. Chelsea
11. Clubland
12. Heart-Shaped Bruise (voice was going fast!)
13. Deep Dark Truthfull Mirror (w/You Really Got A Hold on Me)
14. Kinder Murder
15. Cruel #2
16. Watching the Detectives
17. Delivery man
18. Monkey To Man
19. Hidden Charms (sung into guitar pick-up)
20. I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
21. High Fidelity
22. You Belong To Me
23. Less Than Zero
24. Pump It Up
25. Love That Burns
26. PLU
27. Alison (w/Suspicious Minds)
28. Scarlet Tide (incredible band version with Steve on melodica!)

More thoughts when I get home from work tonight.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

migdd wrote:Well, it WAS a great show despite a very sick Elvis! The voice that was showing signs of wear and tear just 2 nights ago at the Atlanta Tabernacle was now completely shot. Elvis struggled through 28 songs (compared to 33 songs just 2 nights prior) without a break and the show clocked in at just about 2 hours compared to the 2 1/2 hour set that has become standard for the tour. I'll post a setlist tomorrow if nobody beats me to it. The show was even heavier than usual on the rockers, Elvis seeming to choose songs that wouldn't stretch his already taxed vocal chords.

Nonetheless, EC was a trouper and the band sounded as tight and spot on as they usually do. His spirits were fairly high, responding to a very enthusiastic crowd, despite the fact that you could tell he was not feeling very well. The Grady Cole Center had surprisingly good acoustics for what is basically a community college gymnasium, usually used for basketball games and the occasional rock concert.

Next stop tomorrow night. . .the Ryman in Nashville. Hope EC gets to feeling better very soon. Take it way Spookys. . .!
Hope he is well enough to perform when he hits Knoxville Thurs evening....been waiting for this for MONTHS, now 8)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

wish i were in knoxville.

okay, i really wanted to go to the ryman show (the ryman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but for actual feasibility, knoxville made lots more sense (relatives to crash with and visit).

but no, i'm stuck here in the frozen north w/ snow, snow, snow, and more snow.

when i saw him last (was that the week of shows in NYC? i think so. wow.) Needle Time was my FAVORITE. sigh.

come on elvis, come back to BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please?
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ ... 086806.htm

The Charlotte Observer

The crowd snapped to attention as soon as Costello and his band, which includes longtime members of The Attractions guitarist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas, hit the stage.
Go Steve!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yeah, Steve tickled the keys and tinkered with the theremin and melodica but no sign of a guitar! :wink:

Either the reporter didn't attent the show or doesn't realize that piano does not start with a "G"! Funnilly, when Elvis introduced Steve at the end of the show, he credited him with piano, organ, theremin, melodica and the "harmonica", which he did not play at all during the show! Got to admit, though, watching Steve play the keyboards IS like watching someone play several instruments at once!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.livejournal.com/users/punchd ... 13471.html

Costello is no imposter

Tuesday night I had the pleasure of seeing Elvis Costello & the Imposters at the Grady Cole Center in Charlotte. It was a phenomenal show that included a lot of songs from Elvis’ new album The Delivery Man as well as some classic tunes. Some highlights included “Radio, Radio”, “I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down”, “High Fidelity”, “Mystery Dance”, “Watching The Detectives”, “Pump It Up”, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding”, “Monkey To Man” and “(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea”. I know that’s a big list, but he played a lot of great songs. He played for two hours so that’s just some of the awesome set. Elvis and the band were at the top of their game. Pete Thomas and Steve Nieve were amazing. Nieve’s keyboard playing was and will always be amazingly performed and written. It was a great night of music and I hope to see Elvis Costello & the Imposters again in the near future.