Denver and Detroit Setlists

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Denver and Detroit Setlists

Post by migdd »

Here are setlists for the Denver and Detroit shows. Has anybody made it to these shows? From the setlists, they sound fantastic!

Denver July 16

I Hope You're Happy Now
Tear Off Your Own Head
Everyday I Write The Book
Beyond Belief
Radio Radio
Everybody's Crying Mercy
Clubland
Clown Strike
Complicated Shadows
Alison-->Suspicious Minds
Just About Glad
Pump It Up (extended outro with band intros)
Either Side Of The Same Town

Encore 1:
Man Out Of Time (during which he broke his G string)
Less Than Zero
Honey Are You Straight Or Are You Blind
Chelsea
Wondering

Encore 2:
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
Pouring Water On A Drowning Man
Uncomplicated
Watching The Detectives-->Your Funeral, My Trial-->Watching The Detectives

Encore 3
Sweet Dreams
Indoor Fireworks
Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror-->You Really Got A Hold On Me-->Deep Dark Truthful Mirror PLU (more false endings, lots of singalong)

Detroit July 15

Waiting for the End of the World
Beyond Belief
Radio Radio
Accidents Will Happen
You Belong to Me
I Hope You're Happy Now
Doll Revolution
Everyday I Write the Book
Everybody's Crying Mercy
Clubland
Clown Strike
Alison/Tracks of My Tears/Tears of a Clown/No More Tearstained Makeup Dust 2...Dust Pump It Up

1st Encore:
Either Side of the Same Town
I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
Uncomplicated

2nd Encore:
Watching the Detectives
Honey Hush

3rd Encore:
All the Rage
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got a Hold on Me
Man Out of Time
Sweet Dreams

4th Encore:
Honey Are You Straight or Are You Blind
Chelsea
No Action
PLU
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Man Out Of Time (during which he broke his G string)
*shudder* He could've had the decency to break the one on the guitar.....

:wink:
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

Plaything, that one made me laugh out loud!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

review of the denver show here:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/m ... 73,00.html

this is how the article describes what i assume is the string-breaking and its aftermath:

"....The only thing that marred the evening was an odd incident where, barely an hour into the show, Costello abruptly chopped off the set and left the stage, surprising even his band. The musicians left, the house lights came on and it seemed the show was over.

"But a few minutes later Costello came back and wowed the confused crowd with a strong, if less animated, set of encores, heavily stocked with early classics (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea, Man Out of Time, Less Than Zero, Honey Are You Straight or Are You Blind and more. ...."
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

oh my word, people.

I was at the Detroit show on Tuesday. What a great night. wow.
Was Honey Hush the song he played that Paul McCartney recorded on Run Devil Run? The one with the Yakkity Yak? That was a great song!
I loved that Sweet Dreams song too...We were outdoors, I looked up at the stars...it was beautiful!

AND HE PLAYED ALL THE RAGE!!!!! YES!!!!

What a great, great night.

EXCEPT!!!!

I had like 4-6 $6 beers....so I was ready to party.
We were in the green seats. (not as good as the blue seats, but better than the lawn, but you know what they say...the lawn is always greener, the seats are always bluer.)
ANYWAY!
Nobody would let us stand during the show! Everyone was just sitting there! So my friend and I (and 2 girls we met) moved down and got some BLUE SEATS! sweet huh? But the guys behind us wouldn't let us stand either!
And there were security kids in the aisles that wouldn't let us move up unless our tickets said we could. :(
BUT GET THIS!
Elvis kept waving his hand (like this little quick wave) for people to move closer. But those people in the aisles wouldn't let us! I didn't want Elvis to get upset and leave early, but there was nothing I could do.
Needless to say,
By the last encore though I was climbing seats in the middle of the section where they couldn't stop me.(6th beer.)
For PL&U there were only 3 rows of people standing between me and Elvis. I could tell he was getting close to ending the song so I was shouting out 1 MORE!! and holding up my index finger. HE LOOKED AT ME! and played the chorus one more time. I couldn't really hear him because I was so close (weird isn't it?) but he started singing a different song too, and people told me later he sang a couple lines of Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out With Him."

What a great night though besides the nazis.
He really wanted to rock all night though, which was great.
The only thing about those beers is that it makes the concert kind of blend all together...ah well, I sang louder and danced more.

Did anyone else go to the show?!?!?!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Only in my dreams. Sitting vs. standing and having to cope with fascist wankers seems to be a recurrent feature of US gigs. Great account, LTZ. And how exciting was No Action? And when he did one more chorus for you alone!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

OH MY GOSH OTIS!!

NO ACTION is one of my favorite songs!
I LOVED IT!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Detroit set list looks the best of this tour so far to me.
Veronica

Post by Veronica »

Way to go LTZ,
I got such a laugh picturing you climbing over the seat backs. It's such a great idea. Don't know why I've never tried it. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Is Almost Blue up for reissue? He seems to be doing a lot of songs from it.

The set lists always start slowly and then due to his boredom/prolificness (if there is such a word) the setlists completely change.

This explains one of the reasons why I used to travel hundreds of miles to see him on successive nights.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

LTZ, man after my own heart. Amazing , ain't it, the amount of energy people will expend to make sure they DO NOT HAVE TO GET THEIR ASSES OUT OF THEIR SEATS!! Sooooo pathetic, and Elvis clearly hates it, which is what has prompted me to be an obnoxious incalcitrant ass on more than one occasion (not that THAT takes much, mind you...). And if they don't want you to climb over the seats, why, indeed, sell you those $6 beers?! Atta boy!

I'm so glad you got THE LOOK. I've gotten it a few times and it's fucking intoxicating, isn't it? It's like the climax moment of the artist-audience relationship, where suddenly for one second he is SINGING RIGHT TO YOU, the way it always seems he is in headphones, except here it is, real, live and in person.

And wow, wotta setlist.
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

I made the trip from Dallas to Denver and glad I did. The price that it took to go will be forgotten long before the memories of Elvis. The ushers at these shows must follow him around, because as LTZ experienced, they were asses. No dancing in the aisles were allowed. Hey guys, this ain't Pantera. No moshpits or stage rushes here.
I tried to buy the tickets from a guy who posted on this site, but it turned out that they really weren't for sell after all. I made the trip ticketless. Once at the venue, I quickly bought a ticket for $20 less than face. I never went to the seat, but went straight down as close to the stage as I could get. There were table seats there, but no way will that work for me. I stood the whole show. The crowd seemed tame, maybe because of it being Weds. or the promise of an early bed.
I was very satisfied with the songs he played. I would have traded Clownstrike for All The Rage, but I'm not complaining. The broken G string(very funny by the way) put the brakes on for a minute but he fought through it.
I was able to get a paper setlist from the stage. That was very cool. There is a crew member that I met in Dallas before named Flakey. He wasn't there, but I asked about him and got a shrug of the shoulders. Does anybody know of him? Elvis acknowledged him while giving credits in his R&RHOF speech.
The very accomidating Elvis came out after the show. Of course I asked him to sign my setlist, and a couple of Olivers Army items. I have a gift for you Noiseradio. However, modern technology failed me because the flash didn't work on the digital camera that I had. My Dark Photo.
On a different note, I may be making a trip to Rugby, England in a couple of weeks for my job. Trying not to get my hopes to high, it almost happened around Easter too but didn't. It would be for about 3 weeks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would be cool to meet some of you if possible.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

I am probably reading a bit much into it, but that setlist sounds to me like domestic bliss is still eluding our hero. Just a notion.
Rugby is a bit far north for me, but I am coming to Texas to visit my mother in September. I will also be there to see The Super Furry Animals in Dallas, Houston, and Austin. All this will surely bankrupt me, but Oh Well. :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

So how do you rate Phantom Power, Shabby? The Guardian said it was excellent, but predictable, so only 3 stars. I saw Rings Around The World from Glastonbury. Brilliant.
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

I've just listened to it the once Otis, but it is lovely. Very different from RATW. I was there at Glastonbury, and RATW was very good indeed, as was Slow Life from PP. Reminds me alot of Ultrasound. I miss that band.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Ultrasound were brilliant. Alongside Jarvis, Tiny was the greatest frontman from that time.
Otis Westinghouse

Great that you made it Shabby!

Ultrasound have passed me by - know nothing about them!
Iris

Post by Iris »

LessThanZero wrote:oh my word, people.

I was at the Detroit show on Tuesday. What a great night. wow.

What a great, great night.

Did anyone else go to the show?!?!?!

I was there-- and it was a great night. the best....
A rope leash

WARNING!

Post by A rope leash »

By the account of <0, the Detroit show would have landed me in jail.

Iris, tell the dog if you felt oppressed. I feel a rant coming on.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

LTZ~
I enjoyed reading the account of your evening. I'm glad for you that it was so exciting!
Doesn't security suck? I can almost understand it but what I don't understand is the jerk offs in the audience! What, they were there to see Chris Robinson and decided to stay to see Elvis just for the heck of it??
I was at the Philadelphia show.....there was a very small following there for Chris Robinson who were standing right up against the stage. There must have been maybe about 10 feet between the stage and the first row of seats. As the seats started to fill up, there were people up in the first row (I was in the 3rd) (I know, it's only the millionth time I've mentioned that) who had gone up to the security on either side of the stage asking and pointing if those people were going to be able to stand there like that. I saw some shoulder shrugging but when Chris Robinson left the stage they cleared all the people away. Huh! Okay, so then all seemed happy for the front row......and then EC took the stage and IMMEDIATELY motioned for the crowd to come on up!! HA! And they did! And of course we (in the front 5 or so rows) were standing to the groans of the people behind us. Fuck them! My God, I was in my seat, I paid for my ticket and I was fucking standing and jumping and screaming and singing!!
AND, if you can believe this.....there was a chick sitting next to me (who I'd had a chat with and she seemed nice enough) who SAT in the middle of a standing crowd for the ENTIRE show! Unbelieveable to me. Jerk.
And it was funny too, because as the croud was leaving, there was a gigantic mountain of chairs piled up in the middle of the floor!

And Elvis was fab-o!!