If you met EC and you could ask him ONE question...

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I wouldn't care if I never met him, let alone feel like I have to ask him anything. Frankly, I think it's nerd behaviour.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Bamb - I agree with you, however don't you think that breaking down and analyzing his songs is a bit nerdy too? And posting here at all? And posting your photo for all the EC fans to see?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Abandoning my ultra coolness, I think the marriage, kiss, and dinner questions would be on my lips if I was bold. Otherwise more an expression of gratitude or admiration.

Pip52- On the lips or cheek? I'd have been cheap and turned my head quickly for our lips to touch.

Otherwise, "Why not Norah Jones instead?"
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Unfortunately it was just on the cheek, though unbeknownst to me at the time, he was a single man. Its probably better I didnt know that . . . :wink:

Come to think of it I dont think he actually said yes. I asked and he gave me this look like he was going to say something and then he just went ahead and kissed me. He's quite obliging.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

so lacklustre wrote:Bamb - I agree with you, however don't you think that breaking down and analyzing his songs is a bit nerdy too? And posting here at all? And posting your photo for all the EC fans to see?
No, because it's for my own entertainment and I feel no compulsion to do it. Sometimes I do think posting here is a bit weird but it doesn't involve going out of my way to relate to another person in an unnatural way as if I suppose they're not my equal. In a way all that is a bit dehumanizing. If I met him like I'd meet any other person, fine.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Pip52-You're a better woman than I not trying to kiss his lips. Obliging? Ah to Miami Mr. Costello!

Bambooneedle- A kiss is very humanizing, isn't it? Though I suppose you wouldn't want to. . He is another person, how else would one meet him?
A rope leash

Give it to me straight, Doc...

Post by A rope leash »

We're nerds?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

(See last post, I just finished editing)

Under those circumstances it's probably contrived (the kiss). How else would one meet him? Naturally and as equals, that's how. Without any of those self-conscious sycophantory presumptions. Are you one of those people that lets random relatives kiss you then? That's how people lose sight of their boundaries. If I kiss a stranger at least it's on equal terms, and neither of us knows what we're in for.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Bambooneedle-I was teasing, about the other person. I wouldn't be nervous to meet him and as for a kiss on the lips, I doubt it, he's engaged. A kiss is a form of greeting for me, so no one's in for much! I'd be equal to him after a show or a chance meeting on the street. In awe of his talent either place but he is a human being.

A Rope Leash-We are all nerds. . except you of course.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I hardly even let my own mother kiss me!

My brother came back from working in Chile after a few years and wouldn't stop kissing everyone. It's alright if you can get away with kissing obliging beauties, but otherwise the presumptuousness of it would turn me off, especially on the receiving end. You've got to be vigilant. :lol:
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Okay all us girls will make a note not to kiss you on an off, off chance of meeting you Bambooneedle.

Revised Elvis question-How would you feel about me kissing you? 8)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Correction: Well Pip's kiss WAS contrived since she asked for it (not to piss in your weeties Pip, I'm sure you didn't mind him kissing you).

Geeez LJ... not even like that :roll: . You'd have to just try locking eyes and see if it leads to a spontaneous and irrisistable animal pash. With him, or... me 8).
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Oh I'm certain it would. I'd discuss it further but we are getting very off topic. :shock: :wink:
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Props to LJ for most creative and eerily accurate use of emoticons, there.

This is far too much analysis of kissing for me, cause sure, if you thought about it it just so, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in this and such context, but what's the fun in that? Having written than, I've been --shocking, I know-- waaaayyyy too shy to ask for a kiss from Elvis on the occasions I've met him. I'd like to think it was more that I wouldn't want any kiss not unambiguously offered me, but I think it's more that I'm chicken-- why else would I hold Elvis to a higher standard than I do the rest of the random sets of lovely lips that pass me in this world!?! Ambiguity is the very ballast of a spontaneous kiss... Course, not that I would know....

I've nothing to ask him, only things I'd like to say to him, and I've said a few of 'em, mostly just differing versions of thank-you.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I was happy with my contrived, unspontaneous kiss from Elvis because its the only kind of kiss Im likely to ever get from him . . .

That said, I would still ask him again, though I would probably take Lapins idea of reversing the question. And I dont eat weeties, but thanks anyways, I didnt mind, in the least :wink:
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

"Would you sign my copy of The Big Wheel? And can you write 'The Pod?'"

Because when in doubt, be a jackass.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
SweetPear wrote:Since 'Can I be your dog?' is already taken.....it would have to be 'Will you marry me?'
Who knows. Give it a few years and EC may get around to you! :wink:
Yes VG~ my thinking exactly. I figured that he seems to always be in an attached state in one way or another. So I figured if I ask, I might get a shot at it. :lol:
Very logical and well thought out, I think! :lol:

PIP_52....you lucky little devil. I'd prob do just as you did if I met him in the same sort of situation that I did before. In that situation I know I'd be too shy to be any more brazen. HOWEVER....in a different setting, that could change. And if he was married, I'd still ask for the kiss and not expect anything more than on the cheek. HOWEVER....if he was engaged or single and assuming the vibe is right....I'd go for it honey, right on the lips. Yeah! And who knows....like Bamboo said.....if you look into eachothers eyes and it's feeling like ...yeah, okay....then, YEAH, OKAY!

SMM~ You can never analyze kissing too much. :wink: I mean, think about it.....kissing. There's alot going on there.....tactiley, mentally, emotionally, PHYSICALLY!!
(Don't mind me. I like to kiss. Kissing is very hot :D )
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I hate all those stupid looking pretend 'air kisses' some people make - one side, then the other, then the other - whats the point?? A kiss is to show affection or passion and if you cant even bear to make skin contact then forget it! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
shabbydoll

Post by shabbydoll »

"Who do you think you are?"

That might throw him!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

SweetPear wrote:SMM~ You can never analyze kissing too much. :wink: I mean, think about it.....kissing. There's alot going on there.....tactiley, mentally, emotionally, PHYSICALLY!!
(Don't mind me. I like to kiss. Kissing is very hot :D )
Oh I agree entirely... I was being hopelessly imprecise. WHat I should have made clear is that any analysis that leads to LESS kissing is a BAD idea!!

And while I'm correcting myself, I do have a question to ask 'im: Would you please cover the goopy classic STARDUST??? Damn I'd love to hear him sing that. He's the only one other than Nat Cole who could do it justice. And it'd fit right in with NORTH, I'm guessing (from having heard one track!)-- so maybe a b-side and live show treat???
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

SMM~
Asking him to cover Stardust would actually be a really great question to ask him.
And I agree, he is just about the only other person I'd want to hear do that song.
Very good thinking Mug!
:)
HungupStrungup

. . . as long as you pay my wage

Post by HungupStrungup »

pip_52 wrote:I was happy with my contrived, unspontaneous kiss from Elvis because its the only kind of kiss Im likely to ever get from him . . .
So what you're saying is that lip service is all you'll ever get from him?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I would ask Elvis:
" Eddie Cochran is clearly one of your major influences. What Cochran song influenced you the most?"

Now, the purpose of the question is not to get a direct answer, but to intrigue Elvis to pause and wonder why I ask about Eddie Cochran, versus Duane Eddy, versus Ray Charles, or Bo Diddley... or anyone else, for that matter. One of two things will happen:

1. He thinks "this idiot doesn't have a clue, and I won't waste a second entertaining such a mindless query" I doubt that will happen, as any mention of Eddie Cochran to a serious, roots rock and roller deserves, at the very minimum, a modicum of attention, or:

2. He thinks "what does this guy hear that suggests that my old Eddie Cochran recordings have influenced me. Which songs? Why Eddie? The cognitive dissonance created (I'm hoping) will induce a pause and a reply. One question spawns a second, and so on.

Cognitive discord. It would be the only way to ever enter a conversation that would yield some tangible fruit...something intriguing, and useful.

I remember an old interview released around the time of Get Happy, wherein the interviewer asked if Elvis had 'matured' as an artist, and thrown off the cloak of the angry young man. To which he responded: "Maturing is something better suited to cheese and wine, not my music"

My one question whould need to be crafted to throw him off just enough to cause him to stop, think, and either berate me as a major loon, or to engage in a second order discussion that would forever be memorable.