Rare Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
Mike Boom

Rare Elvis

Post by Mike Boom »

What is your fave "Rare/Hard to Find/B-Side/Obscure" Elvis track?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Hoover Factory - so simple and elegant
Upon a Veil of Midnight Blue - almost poetry
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

RTHTW took the words out of my mouth - fine choices.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The acoustic version I Hope Your Happy Now , b-side of I Want You 12" , hidden track on end of first re-issue of , I think , Blood and Chocolate.
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

Ready, you're right on! "Hoover Factory" is the coolest B-side--can't you just envision a choir of Elvii?
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I never think of Hoover Factory as being a rarity, I guess cause TAKING LIBERTIES was such a staple for me. But an awesome song.

For that matter I guess you wouldn't, now, call IMAGINATION (IS A POWERFUL DECEIVER) a rarity but dang I love that. I've said this before but it's always struck me as a sort of inside-out version of ALISON, and I love it for that, cause I can barely HEAR Alison anymore after all these years, you know?

UPON A VEIL is a killer. But I'll add the very straightforward and sweet cover of Hoagy Carmichael's MY RESISTANCE IS LOW. I hope that and a bunch of the other Plugging-the-Gaps stuff cotinue to find their way onto these reissues.
Last edited by selfmademug on Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Doofster

I bought my lunch in THE Hoover factory today.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Wave a White Flag

does that count as rare, even though its a bonus on MAIT? Im picking it anyway.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Is it still a Tescos, Jacks? A gorgeous building.
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

My fave is still the solo acoustic "Psycho" from the FUNDAMENTAL FROLICS various artists LP. A chilling delivery.
Jackson Doofster

It is indeed Bunnikins. A lovely place just to wander around. Outside that is.

However...I should point out that it is actually 4.45 miles out of London on the Western Avenue (A40) by my reckoning.....wouldn't sound as good though i guess.

"4.45 miles out of London on the A40 dual carriageway"
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Okay, not sure how much of a "rarity" it is, but I like "Running Out of Angels" from the MAIT bonus disc, meself...
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

SMMug~
I LOVE Imagination (Is A Powerful Deceiver)!
I could play it 25 times and still want to hear it again.

I'm really not sure what EC tracks are concidered rare. I always find it really hard to single out anything in EC's catalogue. I really love No Action and Living In Paradise. Two very cool songs.
And if My Funny Valentine is concidered rare.....then oddly enough, I would go with that.
I could listen to Elvis sing that for forever!!!!!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Here's just a few of mine. (I'm defining rarities as anything that didn't appear on an original album...which means that songs from "Taking Liberties" and "Ten Bloody Mary's" are eligible, since they were, in fact, compilations of rarities. Of course, rarities issued since would be even rarer!)

Black Sails in the Sunset
Gloomy Sunday
Psycho
Imagination (is a Powerful Deceiver) -- thought I was this song's only big fan -- actually better than one or two MAIT tracks, I'd say.
I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself
Head to Toe
Live/"Merseybeat" version of "Everyday I Write the Book." (I kinda hate the hit version, though. It may be the contrast I love more than the recording.)

And for the "Guilty Pleasure" EC rarity award (and a real rarity it is)...."Party, Party" ... I don't care what anyone, EC included, says...I love this song, God help me!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I love Imagination (is a powerful deceiver) and the Merseybeat version of "Everyday I Write the Book."
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

My fave obscurity is his Flip City version of Third Rate Romance. You can almost feel the ambience of the squalid pubs that the would have played the track at. All thats missing are the sound of old bores talking away in the corner and clinking/smashing glasses.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I like Neat Neat Neat but I would have preferred to hear a thrashed out punk version of it.

My favourite was a one off cover version of Hopelessly Devoted To You, done in Australia because apparently Olivia Newton John was in the audience.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

His take on The Band's "Stage Fright" is cool.
Danny

Hopelessly Devoted To You??????

Post by Danny »

I'd love to hear Elvis do that!!! Where did you get it, Verbal?????
Danny

Post by Danny »

That is - I'd love to hear him do Hopelessly Devoted To You!! Is it available anywhere?

Cheers Verbal!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Danny wrote:That is - I'd love to hear him do Hopelessly Devoted To You!! Is it available anywhere?

Cheers Verbal!
Its on a rather murky boot cdr of EC's 1984 Melbourne show. PM me if you want to discuss getting a copy.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

my favorite ec obscurity (that kinda rhymes) at the moment is speak darkly my angel followed by unwanted number. i've got 'em both on a boot and i think they're great songs. i'm sure plenty of people here have heard unwanted number but i wonder if anyone here has heard the original version of speak darkly my angel. i know what it's on and i could get it if i want but i like this live version a lot with it's really moody guitar and piano. i'm kinda afraid of being dissapointed by the studio version. the guy that has the three song ep it's on wants more money than i want to give him.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Two things on a brilliant selection a very kind soul sent me:

Psycho (but not the solo version, Norman, I must hear that!)

The Parting Glass (played for the departed Chieftains' Derek Bell, a fabulous and very old Irish song beautifully delivered)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I've got to agree with "Third Rate Romance". Does anyone know if there are plans to release this on any of the forthcoming reissues? It would be a nice fit on "Taking Liberties" -

"Third Rate Romance" would have been a great song for Elvis and Lucinda Williams to duet on - by the way, does anyone have a good audio copy of the Crossroads show?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

martinfoyle wrote:
Danny wrote:That is - I'd love to hear him do Hopelessly Devoted To You!! Is it available anywhere?

Cheers Verbal!
Its on a rather murky boot cdr of EC's 1984 Melbourne show. PM me if you want to discuss getting a copy.
Cheers Martin.

My copy's on a murky cassette entitled "Rarities" which I picked up at a record fair years ago.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?