"De-Lovely" clip

Pretty self-explanatory
InnocentMan

"De-Lovely" clip

Post by InnocentMan »

USA Today is featuring a clip from De-Lovely that is of Elvis' singing of "Let's Misbehave". I can't link the clip itself but it is on this page of the USA Today website.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/front.htm?POE=HFTABLIF
normabuel

ANother Clip of EC from De-Lovely

Post by normabuel »

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid ... fsite=1781

Here's a 45 second clip of EC singing Let's Misbehave. I don't know if it is the same clip posted elsewhere..
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/revi ... 68,00.html

Doleful Cole

Various artists: De-Lovely - The songs of Cole Porter
(Columbia £14.99).

Jay Rayner gets no kick out of an
album of covers

Sunday July 18, 2004
The Observer

De-Lovely, the soundtrack album from a forthcoming
biopic of the songwriter Cole Porter, is a truly
terrible recording made all the more awful by the good
things that are on it. There is, for example, nothing
better calculated to prove what a bad idea getting
Elvis Costello to sing the jaunty 'Let's Misbehave'
was, than the presence a few tracks further on of his
wife, Diana Krall, languorously pursuing the great
'Just One of Those Things' to its maudlin conclusion.
The truth is it doesn't matter how many albums you've
sold, how many stadiums you've filled, how many
teenagers have your posters on their walls. You need
to understand Cole Porter, and the emotional narrative
at the heart of his lyrics, to get the songs right.

So for all the gems here - Robbie Williams making
'De-Lovely' look easy, Lemar on 'What is This Thing
Called Love?', Natalie Cole negotiating the
switch-back changes on 'Every Time we say Goodbye' -
there are some true nightmares: Mick Hucknall
murdering 'I Love you'; Alanis Morissette torturing
'Let's do it'; Sheryl Crow performing unnatural acts
upon 'Begin the Beguine'. It is a relief when Kevin
Kline, who plays Porter in the film, gives voice to
the songs his character has written, which is all the
more remarkable because, on the evidence of this
album, Kline can't actually sing. But he can emote and
that's what counts.

Burn it: ... no, literally , burn it
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, after waiting since it's official nationwide opening on July 2, this movie finally came to Huntsville. And I've been watching other bigger cities around us and it just came to Nashville last week. I'm not sure what the holdup was, but when I saw it was coming here, DrS and I ran to the theatre since we both really wanted to see it.

The previous reviews I have seen weren't pretty, but we had our reasons and we went to see it anyway. I must say we were both pleasantly surprised and enjoyed the movie. I didn't think any references to Porter's homosexual activity was anything to mention at all. In fact, it was rather downplayed. It was, however, an emotional ride, watching two people rise so high and be such a success, and then fall into bad health and waste away.

On the plus side, Elvis (IMHO) was divine and reeked of enjoyment over singing in the movie. He was full of life and cute as a button in a white jacket at the masquerade ball scene.

As a side mention, I must add that the Dr and I were so shocked - not so much that we were the only people in the theatre who were under the age of 50, but that these people were so ill-behaved. They didn't know how to turn their cell phones off while in the theatre, and didn't know how to answer them or shut them off once they started ringing. I saw three old bats make a scene coming in late, and then spend four or five minutes looking for just the right seat, and then finally sitting down - only to get back up again and go to the concession stand. And then had the nerve to ask the concession stand worker to help carry back the over-abundance of crap food which they purchased. So many irritations and so many lines I missed in the movie, it makes me wonder if I should try to see it again - hopefully with audiences, as DrS mention, that were as well-behaved as the ones in Harry Potter and Shrek 2 earlier this summer.

As we left the theatre, DrS began to sing, "they were de-loudest, just de-rudest". . . . . . .
daybreaker

Post by daybreaker »

spooky girlfriend wrote: As a side mention, I must add that the Dr and I were so shocked - not so much that we were the only people in the theatre who were under the age of 50, but that these people were so ill-behaved. They didn't know how to turn their cell phones off while in the theatre, and didn't know how to answer them or shut them off once they started ringing. I saw three old bats make a scene coming in late, and then spend four or five minutes looking for just the right seat, and then finally sitting down - only to get back up again and go to the concession stand. And then had the nerve to ask the concession stand worker to help carry back the over-abundance of crap food which they purchased. So many irritations and so many lines I missed in the movie, it makes me wonder if I should try to see it again - hopefully with audiences, as DrS mention, that were as well-behaved as the ones in Harry Potter and Shrek 2 earlier this summer.
I had a similar experience in Memphis. It opened here last weekend in only two theaters, and the showing I attended was completely packed. There was a significant number of people in the audience who looked to be at least in their 60s. I'm guessing they don't make it to the movies much, because they appeared completely oblivious to theater etiquette. The woman next to me hummed along to every friggin' song in the movie. It was ridiculous. As for the film itself, a few of the numbers were good (e.g. EC, Robbie Williams) and a couple were complete snoozers (e.g. Sheryl Crow). I thought Krall looked pretty bad, too, for some reason. The plot did what it had to do to tell the story of Cole and Linda, but I wasn't really riveted. The self-reflexive element through which the film is narrated was totally silly and unnecessary. It wasn't bad, but if Costello wasn't in it I would have walked out feeling like I had just wasted 2 hours of my life.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

daybreaker wrote: It wasn't bad, but if Costello wasn't in it I would have walked out feeling like I had just wasted 2 hours of my life.
That sounds like it was bad.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

We didn't really think it was quite that bad. It reminded me of All That Jazz where the death scene becomes a big production musical number. Since the movie was told from the perspective of a dying man looking back on his life, it has the potential of being confusing at times.

But still, we rather enjoyed it.
johnfoyle

Re: "De-Lovely" clip

Post by johnfoyle »

Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

The movie was a misfire but always loved his take on the song. Have always wondered why he never tackled an entire album of his songs. There is clearly an affinity. Forget the nonsense about aging pop stars trying to extend their careers by doing a standards album. To paraphrase Cole 'just do it'. It is a side project I would welcome and support and would gladly fork over a small fortune to see him do the material and other standards in a Jazz club- would even offer my living room along with our piano for his use. I will keep dreaming. He could even bring his friend Mr. Bennett- he loved my father in law.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Absolutely! Elvis was a real standout in De-lovely--looked great, too. He has such a good feel for standards--approaches them with both enthusiasm & respect. I'd be first in line for any such club date or recording. In fact, I've made a mixtape for myself of a bunch of his standards (including original material that fits right in, i.e. "Almost Blue", "Voice in the Dark", etc). It's a joy!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I thought EC's version of Let's Misbehave in De-Lovely was gorgeous (and authentically orchestrated for the period too) and the highlight of a flawed, but pretty enjoyable film.

And for the record, Kline is an excellent singer who sang worse to be in character as Porter.