New Rhino bonus tracks revealed! (AB/GCW/KV)

Pretty self-explanatory
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

US - July 20th
UK - July 26th

It may not be officially official, but it's the only word we have on it now.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

wehitandrun wrote:US - July 20th
UK - July 26th

It may not be officially official, but it's the only word we have on it now.
The US date already appears to have been pushed to August 3, as reported by Billboard yesterday. The EC on Rhino page has been updated accordingly.

This may explain the confusion over whether the US or UK will be getting them first.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Another great thing about the re-issues is giving the old cd´s away.

One might find somebody that deserves the discovery of EC :D
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

The US date already appears to have been pushed to August 3, as reported by Billboard yesterday. The EC on Rhino page has been updated accordingly.

Laughs maniacally, smiling like Mr Punch on mushrooms....it's all gravy! Kippers, kippers, kippers and glee! :D
John

Post by John »

It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good prices, too, though no KV. Play pissed me off by failing to despatch an order of 4 CDs to me (there was no 'despatch confirmed' email in the usual way), and when I complained they insisted I gave them an alternative address, as if the dodgy postman at my home one was not to be trusted further! It was clearly their own cock-up.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I bought a whole load of CDs from them and 3 were 3 CD box sets and there were 4 single CDs. The 4 single CDs arrived OK but 2 boxed sets didn't. When I contacted them they sent them straight away with no quibbles.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/artic ... 1000563312

Rhino Revamps Costello's 'Cruel,' 'Blue,' 'Kojak'

With the next trio of Rhino's Elvis Costello reissues around the corner, details have emerged about the extra content that will bolster 1981's "Almost Blue," 1984's "Goodbye Cruel World" and 1995's "Kojak Variety." Like each in the label's Costello upgrades, the titles boast the remastered original album on one disc and a full second disc of live cuts, B-sides, alternate takes and demo recordings.

Rhino and Costello have approached this reissue program not chronologically, but subjectively. The nature of the plan has allowed a stylistic examination of his oeuvre and his idiosyncratic penchant for exploring various genres. In the new round, due Aug. 3, the earliest and latest albums are linked as covers projects.

"Almost Blue," which peaked at No. 50 on The Billboard 200, is widely regarded as Costello's "country album." Although somewhat maligned at the time of its original release, Costello's treatment of such songs as Merle Haggard's "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down" and the Jerry Chesnut-written/George Jones-popularized "Good Year for the Roses" has proven to be effective and enduring.

The second disc boasts more than 15 tracks not included on Ryko's 1994 version of the album. Among the newly appended cuts is a version of "Stranger in the House" with Jones and "We Oughta Be Ashamed" with Johnny Cash. Also new are live versions of "Girls Talk," "Motel Matches" and one-time B-side "Radio Sweetheart."

"Kojak Variety" -- the only title in this batch not among the albums revamped and reissued by Rykodisc in the early '90s -- was Costello's second album for Warner Bros. Although it was the follow-up to 1994's acclaimed "Brutal Youth," which found Costello reunited with the Attractions, only Attractions drummer Pete Thomas appears on the set. Such noted musicians as multi-instrumentalist Marc Ribot, guitarist James Burton, keyboardist Kevin Killen, bassist Jerry Scheff and drummer Jim Keltner comprise the backing band.

The album found Costello crooning such numbers as Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "Strange," Little Richard's "Bama Lama Bama," Bob Dylan's "I Threw It All Away" and the Kinks' "Days." The bonus disc comprises 20 tracks, including a version of the Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" and an alternate take of the album's Drew Baker/Danny McCormick blues classic "Pouring Water on a Drowning Man."

Collaborations include a take of "That's How You Got Killed Before" with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band (a version of which appeared on the latter's 1990 set "The New Orleans Album") and Gershwin's "But Not For Me" with renowned harmonica player Larry Adler.

Bridging the sets is "Goodbye Cruel World," an album of originals that is often reviled among the Costello faithful. Nonetheless, it reached No. 35 on The Billboard 200 and produced a hit single in "The Only Flame in Town," which features Darryl Hall. An alternate version and a live take of the song appear on the bonus disc.

The work of producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley has been blamed by Costello for the album's weaknesses, and the set's best cuts -- "The Comedians," "Inch by Inch," "The Deportees Club" -- have come across better when he's presented them in different live arrangements or when covered by others.

Among the bonus disc cuts are Costello's demos and live recordings of several more album tracks, seemingly seeking to prove that point. And it's probable that Costello's new liner notes -- exhaustive and unique to each title -- will further explain his contentions with the original album and defend his songs.

Other than Nick Lowe's appearance on "Baby It's You," a holdover from the Ryko edition, the only other guest appearance comes from another Langer/Winstanley-produced act: Costello covers Madness' "Tomorrow's (Just Another Day)" with the ska pop group's help.

As previously reported, Costello will simultaneously release two new albums Sept. 21 on two different labels. Lost Highway will issue an as-yet-untitled new rock album with the Imposters, while "Il Sogno," his first full-length orchestral work, will emerge via Deutsche Grammophon.

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

A live Girls Talk! 8)
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I still think this reissue thing is a scam!!!!!! Why not make a couple of collections with all the extra material so we don't have to buy every last one of his CD's for the second time..???
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Because the remasterings sounds even better, and I have never owned the other albums. It's all about me.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Billboard.com has a new article about the Elvis reissues:

Rhino Revamps Costello's 'Cruel,' 'Blue,' 'Kojak'

With the next trio of Rhino's Elvis Costello reissues around the corner, details have emerged about the extra content that will bolster 1981's "Almost Blue," 1984's "Goodbye Cruel World" and 1995's "Kojak Variety." Like each in the label's Costello upgrades, the titles boast the remastered original album on one disc and a full second disc of live cuts, B-sides, alternate takes and demo recordings.

Rhino and Costello have approached this reissue program not chronologically, but subjectively. The nature of the plan has allowed a stylistic examination of his oeuvre and his idiosyncratic penchant for exploring various genres. In the new round, due Aug. 3, the earliest and latest albums are linked as covers projects.

"Almost Blue," which peaked at No. 50 on The Billboard 200, is widely regarded as Costello's "country album." Although somewhat maligned at the time of its original release, Costello's treatment of such songs as Merle Haggard's "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down" and the Jerry Chesnut-written/George Jones-popularized "Good Year for the Roses" has proven to be effective and enduring.

The second disc boasts more than 15 tracks not included on Ryko's 1994 version of the album. Among the newly appended cuts is a version of "Stranger in the House" with Jones and "We Oughta Be Ashamed" with Johnny Cash. Also new are live versions of "Girls Talk," "Motel Matches" and one-time B-side "Radio Sweetheart."

"Kojak Variety" -- the only title in this batch not among the albums revamped and reissued by Rykodisc in the early '90s -- was Costello's second album for Warner Bros. Although it was the follow-up to 1994's acclaimed "Brutal Youth," which found Costello reunited with the Attractions, only Attractions drummer Pete Thomas appears on the set. Such noted musicians as multi-instrumentalist Marc Ribot, guitarist James Burton, keyboardist Kevin Killen, bassist Jerry Scheff and drummer Jim Keltner comprise the backing band.

The album found Costello crooning such numbers as Screamin' Jay Hawkins' "Strange," Little Richard's "Bama Lama Bama," Bob Dylan's "I Threw It All Away" and the Kinks' "Days." The bonus disc comprises 20 tracks, including a version of the Beatles' "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" and an alternate take of the album's Drew Baker/Danny McCormick blues classic "Pouring Water on a Drowning Man."

Collaborations include a take of "That's How You Got Killed Before" with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band (a version of which appeared on the latter's 1990 set "The New Orleans Album") and Gershwin's "But Not For Me" with renowned harmonica player Larry Adler.

Bridging the sets is "Goodbye Cruel World," an album of originals that is often reviled among the Costello faithful. Nonetheless, it reached No. 35 on The Billboard 200 and produced a hit single in "The Only Flame in Town," which features Darryl Hall. An alternate version and a live take of the song appear on the bonus disc.

The work of producers Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley has been blamed by Costello for the album's weaknesses, and the set's best cuts -- "The Comedians," "Inch by Inch," "The Deportees Club" -- have come across better when he's presented them in different live arrangements or when covered by others.

Among the bonus disc cuts are Costello's demos and live recordings of several more album tracks, seemingly seeking to prove that point. And it's probable that Costello's new liner notes -- exhaustive and unique to each title -- will further explain his contentions with the original album and defend his songs.

Other than Nick Lowe's appearance on "Baby It's You," a holdover from the Ryko edition, the only other guest appearance comes from another Langer/Winstanley-produced act: Costello covers Madness' "Tomorrow's (Just Another Day)" with the ska pop group's help.

As previously reported, Costello will simultaneously release two new albums Sept. 21 on two different labels. Lost Highway will issue an as-yet-untitled new rock album with the Imposters, while "Il Sogno," his first full-length orchestral work, will emerge via Deutsche Grammophon.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:I still think this reissue thing is a scam!!!!!! Why not make a couple of collections with all the extra material so we don't have to buy every last one of his CD's for the second time..???
No one is forcing you to buy anything. It is up to you to decide whether or not you want to invest in the reissues, much like when director's cut DVDs are released, or books are reprinted. Elvis just wants to ensure that his albums are on the market in their best form possible. Often the previously unreleased bonus material is worth the entire price of admission anyway.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:I still think this reissue thing is a scam!!!!!! Why not make a couple of collections with all the extra material so we don't have to buy every last one of his CD's for the second time..???
I think that a boxset with only the bonusdisc-tracks misses a kind of historical view: it is more interesting I think that the demo's, B-sides, alternate takes are released with their corresponding album.

Also the new linernotes and photographs make the new reissues more than interesting.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

The new set of reissues adds 18 tracks that weren't on your old version of Almost Blue, 17 that weren't on the old Goodbye Cruel World, and 20 that weren't on the old Kojak Variety.

Let's say that instead of adding these tracks to the original albums, Elvis released three separate CDs with just the new tracks.

How much cheaper do you think they would be compared to buying the new reissues?

Each reissue sells for roughly the same price as a single CD. As far as I'm concerned, getting a remaster of the old material is just a bonus.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Cop, think these things through, please.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I like the double discs - great remastering, nice layouts (WITH LYRICS!), good to have the original records pretty much intact without any bonus tracks right afterwards, and so on.

But to play the devil's advocate a little here, I see what Cope is saying. I guess Danish and Swedish prices are sorta similar, it's neighbouring countries with closely related languages etc. Here in Sweden the distributor (Bonnier/Amigo) for the remastered discs are unusually expensive with all releases AND have a policy to never release anything below full price, which means that we get cover stickers saying "includes free bonus disc..." etc but actually have to pay for more than two regular full-length CDs.

Of course, Cope and I can get them cheaper on the Net, but I like to support small independent record stores so I feel like an asshole doing it.
What this world needs is more silly men.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

BlueChair wrote:Billboard.com has a new article about the Elvis reissues:

"Almost Blue," which peaked at No. 50 on The Billboard 200, is widely regarded as Costello's "country album."
Interesting take, but I don't see it. I guess that's why reviewers make the big money.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

JESUS...you guys are hard core! I have to admit that I agree that one gets a lot of bonus material (almost a whole new album in itself) and lyrics and liner notes.....but it takes me an hour to read the notes, and I am always disappointed by the extra tracks. Especially alternative versions of songs that are already on the album.

WHAR I do think these things out....I never really enjoy the bonus stuff too much. But if you like Glitter Gulch....then you probably like anything Elvis records.....sometimes I think that some people on the board would say that it was great if Elvis farted and recorded it.

BLUE> the ole "nobody's forcing you to buy it" 'tude is fair enough, but I still have my opinion regarding the marketing strategy. It's still a scam. Just because I don't fall for it, doesn't justify it.....maybe it is just because they are very expensive here! The remasted stuff costs a bundle in Denmark.

King Hoarse> you are right! People don't have to pay the exorborant prices that we do in Sweden and Denmark! Maybe that's why only pop music thrives in Denmark! It's too expensive to just buy weird stuff and hope it turns out good.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Danny

Post by Danny »

Has anyone seen Kojak Variety on sale yet? I've ordered the other two, but can't find this one anywhere!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Cop, your opinion is fine, but this is not a scam.

And, if Elvis recorded his fart song, I'd burn a new mix just to have it.

I don't like songs because Elvis records them, I like Elvis because he records unbelievable songs.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Danny wrote:Has anyone seen Kojak Variety on sale yet? I've ordered the other two, but can't find this one anywhere!
Here ya go
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 28-0031665
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I never got any of these three on Demon reissue...in fact I lost my tape of Kojak yonks ago :cry: ... so is there anything on the Demons that aren't gonnae be on the Rhinos? :? (mildly irritating if there is, like PTC missing live versions...good job I got that demon :D )
Meadowmeal

Post by Meadowmeal »

laughingcrow wrote:I never got any of these three on Demon reissue...in fact I lost my tape of Kojak yonks ago :cry: ... so is there anything on the Demons that aren't gonnae be on the Rhinos? :? (mildly irritating if there is, like PTC missing live versions...good job I got that demon :D )
You mean Ryko?
"A WONDERFUL WOODEN REASON"
And No Coffee Table

martinfoyle wrote:
Danny wrote:Has anyone seen Kojak Variety on sale yet? I've ordered the other two, but can't find this one anywhere!
Here ya go
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 28-0031665
Did you notice that Amazon UK lists it as an import with the US release date (August 3)? And none of the other UK online retailers have it at all.

I'm beginning to wonder if Kojak is going to be a US-only release. It doesn't seem out of the question given its inclusion of several tracks licensed from other labels. Maybe they couldn't license them for the UK?

Bear in mind this is only my speculation.