Just heard one of the new North songs

Pretty self-explanatory
PlaythingOrPet

Just heard one of the new North songs

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Janice Long played "You Turned To Me" before on the radio and it's exactly how I expected it (and the rest of the album, hopefully) to be. Intimate, gentle, understated, beautiful. We're talking major different ends of the spectrum here between a song off WIWC and this. It kind of reminded me of the first bit of "My Dark Life" before it goes all gadgety at "She came on like a light...", but sung in a much lower key. Just a piano and bass as far as I could hear. Lovely.

Looks like it's definitely going to be a late night lovers' album.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

AHHHHH YOU'RE SO LUCKY!!!!!

I'm gonna burst with happiness.

Goodbye Cruel World.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

Thanks for the insight, Plaything. Advance copies must be out there. I'll be making some phone calls at work tomorrow.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Don't forget about us if you find any info, Normee :D .
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Go to the "EC/You turned to me" thread for the real player link

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 6da3d46b86

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

Hey, Plaything. All I could score today were answering machine messages from all my contacts at Universal (I have three). I begged them all for advance copies. They still may come through for me. Last year, I got WIWC two months in advance, so the timing may be right. I'll keep you posted.

I just listened to the track through the above link (thank you kindly, Dr.J).
I like his voice in that lower register. Sometimes I think he reaches beyond his vocal range on the torch ballads, but this seems to work.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

On a very quick listen, I liked it. It *was* what I thought, but only partly. Very stripped down, very direct... again, as with the lyrics, the word 'naked' springs to mind (what's with me hmmm??). This is the ultimate 'new genre' for him, I predict-- he's tossing off his comfy coat of cleverness. And damn if that ain't a hard coat to take off.
A rope leash

Wha?

Post by A rope leash »

"...he's tossing off his clumsy coat of cleverness"?

Is that to say he's dumbing it down?

That'll sell...
migdd

Post by migdd »

Can't remember the old saying about the difference between being clever and being wise. I can only remember that "clever" alliterated with "coward". Shedding the "clever" coat at the ripe young age of 47 seems like an extension of everything he was talking about on WIWC.
I've gotta disagree about the "dumbing down" comment. It implies he's trying to reach a broader, dumber audience. I've never, in 25 years of listening, known Elvis to reach for any audience and I suspect (hope I'm wrong) NORTH is going to get crucified in the popular (at least in the "rock and roll") press as being too pretentious, a la TJL or PFM or , worse yet, as another inconsequential "side project" that only hard-core EC fans would want to buy. I too like the "rocking" Elvis but only when he means it!
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Thank you, Migdd.

Rope, there are many ways of being smart; cleverness is one of them but it's a way that calls attention to itself. Elvis isn't capable of dumbing down.

And anyway I said 'comfy' not 'clumsy'-- it's very comfy to be clever all the time, cause it keeps your smarts right up front. That's all I meant.