Elvis at Royal Variety Performance, November 18, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis at Royal Variety Performance, November 18, 2021

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-r ... -sir-rod[b]

Alan Carr to Host this Year’s Royal Variety Performance 2021 with performances from Ed Sheeran, Sir Rod Stewart, Anne-Marie, the London cast of Moulin Rouge and Matilda The Musical[/b]

Presenter and one of the UK’s best loved comics, Alan Carr is to host The Royal Variety Performance from the magnificent Royal Albert Hall in London, which celebrates its 150th anniversary this very year. The world’s longest running entertainment show - 2021 marks the 109th event and this year, the Royal Variety Charity is celebrating 100 years of our reigning Monarch being their Patron, commencing with His Majesty King George V in 1921. Once again, the event will be held in the presence of senior members of the Royal Family

The evening will be a spectacular show featuring exceptional performers, world class theatre, outstanding singers and top notch British comedy.

Stars lined up to appear include multi award-winner Ed Sheeran, international sensation Sir Rod Stewart, the cast of the Royal Shakespeare Company’s phenomenal Matilda The Musical who are celebrating an incredible 10 years in the West End, chart topper Anne-Marie and music from Years and Years.

Also returning to the RVP stage with a mesmerizing performance of their latest show ‘Luzia’ are Cirque du Soleil. Brit Award winner James Blunt will play some of his greatest hits, following its Tony award winning success the sensational Moulin Rouge The Musical joins for an exclusive performance, plus Germany’s The Messoudi Brothers will showcase their breathtaking hand to hand act.

The evening will also feature performances from respected musicians and Grammy Award winners Gregory Porter and Elvis Costello. A special collaboration from actress Keala Settle and the Some Voices choir with the amazing, award-winning song ‘This is Me’ and comedy from Judi Love, Bill Bailey, Chris McCausland and Josh Widdicombe.

Alan Carr said: “It’s such an honour to be asked to host this year’s Royal Variety Performance, it really is a dream come true. With so many amazing performers it’s going to be a night to recollect and if I remember correctly, the last time I appeared I was wearing a skimpy leopard print mini dress so I’m hoping as host this time I’ll be wearing something a bit more classy!”

The event is staged in aid of the Royal Variety Charity, whose patron is Her Majesty The Queen. The money raised from the show helps those people from the world of entertainment in need of care and assistance.

The star studded spectacular will be screened on ITV and ITV Hub in December. It will be produced by Lifted Entertainment part of ITV Studios.

The Royal Variety Performance has been commissioned by ITV’s Commissioning Editor, Entertainment David Smyth and Executive Producer for ITV is Fiona Clark and Series Producer for ITV is Lawrie Jordan. Executive Producers for the Royal Variety Charity are Laurie Mansfield, Giles Cooper and Phil Dale.

Note to Editors:
The Royal Albert Hall is supporting The Royal Variety Charity through a charity discounted let. This is one of the many ways in which the Hall, which is an independent registered
charity, supports others in the charitable sector. The Royal Variety Performance was last held at the Royal Albert Hall in 2015, with appearances including Sir Elton John, Kylie Minogue and Brandon Flowers.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Re: Elvis at Royal Variety Performane 2021

Post by Neil. »

Wow, you could knock me down with a feather! What on earth is he going to sing, I wonder?!

It feels like hell has frozen over, but I hope it goes well and leads to some sales for our Elv. Also... Could there be a London gig coming up in Dec?
Last edited by Neil. on Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Down Among The Wines And Spirits?
Royal Variety Performance
Royal Variety Performance
Royal Variety Performance.jpg (133.14 KiB) Viewed 17023 times
MOOT
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Man out of Time wrote:Down Among The Wines And Spirits?

MOOT
Chuckle!!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Could call this Unexpected!

The Beloved Entertainer stepping into his pa's shoes from 1963.

Glad I was sitting down to read this news.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

He's got to do 'If I Had a Hammer', it's a no-brainer!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Man out of Time wrote:Down Among The Wines And Spirits?

Royal Variety Performance.jpg

MOOT
Brilliant !!
Are we tuxing up, Neil ??
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I won't be paying to see just one Elvis song, Sulky, I'll just watch it on my tellybox - that is if Elvis makes the final cut!
Mikeh

Re: Elvis at Royal Variety Performance, November 18, 2021

Post by Mikeh »

A career low point, I think. What next? Celebrity Masterchef? Dancing on Ice?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Mikeh wrote:A career low point, I think. What next? Celebrity Masterchef? Dancing on Ice?
I admit I shared this view, however a quick decco at the website tells a different tale and perhaps one which explains our ( previously loudly anti-Royalist ) hero's participation :

The Royal Variety Charity stems from 1907 and the The Music Hall Artistes’ Railway Association (MHARA) setting up a benevolent fund for the benefit of its members and fellow artistes.
Now in addition a nursing home for former artists..." the charity continues to devote further resources to helping entertainers, from all branches of the industry that still live in their own homes, but have for whatever reason fallen upon hard times, or ill health, and just need a little financial assistance or advice.
In an industry where professional artistes are asked to use their many talents to help with fund-raising for other charitable organisations outside of their profession, it should never be forgotten that there are considerable demands within the profession itself, to help past performers who through age, illness, or ill fortune, look to their fellow artistes for assistance.
"

I think that without the connotations of the Crown this is exactly the sort of enterprise that EC would support, without question.

If his involvement enables additional funds to be generated that's got to be a good thing? Doesn't mean he's sold out or anything. Just like me joining in the singing of Y**A at my pal's dad's funeral doesn't mean I'm "Losing My Religion".
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I have zero problem with Elvis playing the Royal Variety Performance - I just didn't think he'd ever be invited, hence my amazement!!!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:
Mikeh wrote:A career low point, I think. What next? Celebrity Masterchef? Dancing on Ice?
I admit I shared this view, however a quick decco at the website tells a different tale and perhaps one which explains our ( previously loudly anti-Royalist ) hero's participation :

The Royal Variety Charity stems from 1907 and the The Music Hall Artistes’ Railway Association (MHARA) setting up a benevolent fund for the benefit of its members and fellow artistes.
Now in addition a nursing home for former artists..." the charity continues to devote further resources to helping entertainers, from all branches of the industry that still live in their own homes, but have for whatever reason fallen upon hard times, or ill health, and just need a little financial assistance or advice.
In an industry where professional artistes are asked to use their many talents to help with fund-raising for other charitable organisations outside of their profession, it should never be forgotten that there are considerable demands within the profession itself, to help past performers who through age, illness, or ill fortune, look to their fellow artistes for assistance.
"

I think that without the connotations of the Crown this is exactly the sort of enterprise that EC would support, without question.

If his involvement enables additional funds to be generated that's got to be a good thing? Doesn't mean he's sold out or anything. Just like me joining in the singing of Y**A at my pal's dad's funeral doesn't mean I'm "Losing My Religion".
Agree entirely. In fairness, I can't really see how it's a 'career low' for Elvis to play an event that's previously been played by The Beatles, Frankie Vaughn, John Williams, Tina Turner, Sandie Shaw, Rod Stewart, Anthony Newley, Johnnie Ray, Julian Lloyd Webber, Duke Ellington, the Jackson Five and the Supremes.

In terms of playing an expensive event for the rich and powerful, it's not far removed from playing the Whitehouse for the President. And in terms of prestige, it's got to be a step up from Sesame Street! :)
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Hawksmoor wrote:In fairness, I can't really see how it's a 'career low' for Elvis to play an event that's previously been played by The Beatles, Frankie Vaughn, John Williams, Tina Turner, Sandie Shaw, Rod Stewart, Anthony Newley, Johnnie Ray, Julian Lloyd Webber, Duke Ellington, the Jackson Five and the Supremes.
And Ross MacManus!

Burt Bacharach too.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Hawksmoor wrote:In terms of playing an expensive event for the rich and powerful....
... I thought that Sulky and Neil had decided to eschew ? :oops:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Chuckle, Top B!

Sulky and I are shampooing our hair that night - with champagne! X
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

A few of the forum members have had some serious ticket upgrades - being moved from £55 restricted view seats to £375 plus seats in the stalls.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:Chuckle, Top B!

Sulky and I are shampooing our hair that night - with champagne! X
I might have considered it had I known an upgrade was in the offing. I was looking forward to saying "Positively delighted " to the Baron of Kernow! :wink: :wink:
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

verbal gymnastics wrote:A few of the forum members have had some serious ticket upgrades - being moved from £55 restricted view seats to £375 plus seats in the stalls.
Yeah, but I still think there may be an enormous tv camera between me and the stage! :roll:
Time will tell..............
Man out of Time

According to the Daily Express on November 3:

Royal expert claims comedians asked to lay off the Windsors during Royal Variety Show

THE Royal Family has asked performers to omit jokes about them during the Royal Variety Show this year, a royal expert has claimed.

The Royal Family have dominated headlines over the past two years, with a plethora of scandal and drama. In order not to bear the brunt of the jokes made, the family have allegedly stepped in ahead of the recording of the Royal Variety Performance, asking comedians to tone down and reduce the number of jokes aimed their way. The Royal Variety Performance will be held on November 18 at the Royal Albert Hall and the Queen, as a patron, is usually in attendance.

Traditionally, performers would light-heartedly poke fun at the royal box but not this year, according to royal commentator Neil Sean.

Mr Sean claimed that the Royal Family have asked performers at the Royal Variety Show to lay off the Windsors.

He said: "People appearing in front of the royals this year have been - more so than any other year - told not to make jokes about the following, including the former royals the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

"This makes it very difficult if you're a comedian because it's ripe for those put-downs and quips.

"Likewise, someone who is totally removed from the table is HRH, Prince Andrew."

He added: "You can imagine, no jokes about that.

"Finally, they don't want any jokes about waring brothers William and Harry.

"Now, normally what happens when you attend something like the royal variety performance, you do get a few gags in aimed at the royal box."

Of course, Elvis is a musician, rather than a comedian, so may decide this doesn't apply to him. After all, what's the worst that can happen? Apart from the obvious "Little Palaces" what other songs might Elvis choose to sing on this occasion? "Harry Worth"? "Brilliant Mistake"?

MOOT
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Neil. wrote:Wow, you could knock me down with a feather! What on earth is he going to sing, I wonder?!

It feels like hell has frozen over, but I hope it goes well and leads to some sales for our Elv. Also... Could there be a London gig coming up in Dec?

guessing he will do Magnficent Hurt to advertise the fact he has a new record out. Not sure what he would do if he does more than one song, they normally do a greatest hit or two. I wonder if The Imposters will be with him
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Harry Worth?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

I can't see him doing anything too controversial. Equally I'm not sure this is really available to him as a worthwhile avenue to plug the new LP. 99% of the audience will have very little clue who Elvis Costello even is, beyond 'didn't he have a hit in the 1908s with a country-and-western song?'

This audience have mostly bought a ticket to see artists other than Elvis Costello. And the small number who have bought a ticket to see Elvis Costello (several on this forum) are all people who are already committed to buying the new LP anyway.

The percentage of this audience who don't already have The Boy Named If on pre-order, but who might think 'wow, that was a shit-hot new single. I never heard of him, but maybe I'll pre-order his new LP which apparently comes out in two months' time...' that's a very small percentage, which might - at a stretch - gain you half-a-dozen new buyers of The Boy Named If.

So from a marketing/commercial point of view, he might as well just play 'She' and 'Accidents Will Happen'. At least it will remind people that the guy with the glasses from 1978 is still alive?
krm

Post by krm »

My guess is that there will be a nice cover tune like "All you need is love"!
Man out of Time

Elvis's note in the programme for the show reads thus:

"ELVIS COSTELLO OBE

D P MacManus - aka Elvis Costello - is a writer and part-time musician who made a number of records in the 20th Century, some of which are still remembered today. Spanish Model, a new mix of the 1978 album This Year's Model, with Latin music stars singing Spanish adaptations of Costello's lyrics, entered the Billboard Latin Pop Charts at #6.

On January 14th, 2022 Elvis Costello and The Imposters will release, The Boy Named If, an album of urgent, immediate songs with bright melodies and a quick step to the rhythm.

"My father Ross MacManus sang with the Joe Loss Orchestra on the 1963 Royal Variety Show. That night is best remembered for John Lennon's inviting people to "Rattle yer jewellery". My Dad sang If I Had A Hammer, a song about work and freedom. So for the second time in nearly 63 years, the MacManus clan is coming through the tradesmen's entrance to sing for you. When I was nine years old, I never imagined writing fifteen songs with Paul McCartney or co-writing songs for 25 years with Burt Bacharach, who played piano with Marlene Dietrich that November night. So, imagining this evening was easy!"
RVP Programme - Photo Paul Moore
RVP Programme - Photo Paul Moore
2021-09-10_i_(newspaper)_photo_02.jpg (124.71 KiB) Viewed 15227 times

Sadly no reference to the late Queen Mother's love of the songs of Leadbelly.

MOOT
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Man out of Time wrote:Sadly no reference to the late Queen Mother's love of the songs of Leadbelly. MOOT
Top marks for this MooT, perhaps he'll do Rock Island Line in tribute?