Elvis and The Layabouts/Imposters, Port Chester, NY, October 25 & 26, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Layabouts/Imposters, Port Chester, NY, October 25 & 26, 2021

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters, with Charlie Sexton play two nights at the Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY on Monday 25 and Tuesday 26 October, 2021. This is third time that Elvis has booked into the Capitol Theatre on two consecutive nights. In 2018 he played there for three nights.

The Capital Theatre website has this to say:

"Elvis Costello:

Elvis Costello began writing songs at the age of thirteen. 2017 marked the 40th anniversary of the release his first record album, “My Aim Is True”.

He is perhaps best known for the songs, “Alison”, “Pump It Up”, “Everyday I Write The Book” and his rendition of the Nick Lowe song, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding”.

His record catalogue of more than thirty albums includes the contrasting pop and rock & roll albums, “This Year’s Model”, ”Armed Forces”, “Imperial Bedroom”, “Blood and Chocolate” and “King Of America” along with an album of country covers, “Almost Blue” and two collections of orchestrally accompanied piano ballads, “Painted From Memory” - with Burt Bacharach and “North”.

He has performed worldwide with his bands, The Attractions, His Confederates - which featured two members of Elvis Presley’s “T.C.B” band - and his current group, The Imposters – Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher - as well as solo concerts, most recently his acclaimed solo show, “Detour”.

Costello has entered into songwriting collaborations with Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, the Brodsky Quartet and with Allen Toussaint for the album “The River In Reverse”, the first major label recording project to visit New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and completed there while the city was still under curfew.

In 2003, Costello acted as lyrical editor of six songs written with his wife, the jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall for her album “The Girl In The Other Room”. He has written lyrics for compositions by Charles Mingus, Billy Strayhorn and Oscar Peterson and musical settings for words by W.B. Yeats and Bob Dylan.

Costello’s songs have been recorded by a great number of artists, including, George Jones, Linda Ronstadt, Georgie Fame, Chet Baker, Johnny Cash, June Tabor, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, Robert Wyatt, Anne Sofie von Otter, Solomon Burke and Darlene Love.

During his career, Costello has received numerous prestigious honors, including two Ivor Novello Awards for songwriting, a Dutch Edison Award with The Brodsky Quartet for “The Juliet Letters”, the Nordoff-Robbins Silver Clef Award, a BAFTA for the music written with Richard Harvey for Alan Bleasdale’s television drama series “G.B.H.” and a Grammy for “I Still Have That Other Girl” from his 1998 collaboration with Burt Bacharach, “Painted From Memory”.

Elvis Costello and The Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. In the same year, Costello was awarded ASCAP’s prestigious Founder’s Award.

In 2004 Costello was nominated for an Oscar for Best Song – “The Scarlet Tide,” co-written with T Bone Burnett and sung by Alison Krauss in the motion picture “Cold Mountain”

In 2016 Elvis Costello was inducted into the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame in the company of Chip Taylor and Tom Petty.

Costello’s first full-length orchestral work, “Il Sogno” was commissioned in 2000 by the Italian dance company, Aterballetto, for their adaptation of Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and the score subsequently recorded by The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Tilson- Thomas and released by Deutsche Grammophon, staying at the top of Billboard’s Contemporary Classical Charts for 14 weeks of 2004.

This release led in turn to a series of orchestral concert performances with a number of the world’s great symphonic orchestras, opening with a suite from “Il Sogno” conducted by Alan Broadbent and closing with a selection of Costello songs arranged for voice, the piano of Stebe Nieve and orchestra.

Nevertheless, Costello closed out 2007 by appearing solo as the middle act on “The Bob Dylan Show” for twenty-eight dates.

In December 2008, Sundance Channel and CTV launched Costello’s internationally renowned music television series “Spectacle” which ran for twenty episodes over two seasons, offering intimate conversions and unique musical performances with guests including, Sir Elton John, President Bill Clinton, Tony Bennett, Lou Reed, Smokey Robinson, The Police, Herbie Hancock, Bono & The Edge, Levon Helm, John Prine, James Taylor, Jesse Winchester and Bruce Springsteen.

Through 2009 and 2010, Costello toured with the largely acoustic ensemble, The Sugarcanes, featuring, Jerry Douglas, Jim Lauderdale, Stuart Duncan, Mike Compton, Jeff Taylor and Dennis Crouch, all of whom had appeared on, “Secret, Profane & Sugarcane”, recorded by T Bone Burnett
during a three-day session at Nashville's Sound Emporium Studio.

The Sugarcanes also appeared on the 2010 album, “National Ransom” alongside the Imposters, Marc Ribot and guest stars, Vince Gill and Leon Russell, featuring the enduring spiritual narratives, “Jimmie Standing In The Rain”, “Church Underground” and “A Voice In The Dark”.

September 2013: Blue Note Records released the album “Wise Up Ghost”, written by Costello with Questlove and producer, Steven Mandel and recorded with the Roots and the orchestral arranger, Brent Fischer.

From 2011-2014: Having recorded the albums, “When I Was Cruel”, “The Delivery Man” and “Momofuku” together since 2002, Elvis Costello and The Imposters – Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher - toured for four years with “The Spectacular Spinning Songbook”, employing a 20- foot game-show wheel with which audience members selected the next song to be performed.

In 2014, Elvis was also part of the New Basement Tapes ensemble with Marcus Mumford, Jim James, Rhiannon Giddens and Taylor Goldsmith for the T Bone Burnett produced album “Lost on the River” offering the participant’s newly composed musical settings of previously undiscovered Bob Dylan lyrics from 1967.

In 2015, the Penguin/Blue Rider imprint published Costello’s nuanced and evocative memoir, “Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink” while he was appearing in “Detour” a largely solo performance – although frequently augmented by Rebecca and Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe - in which anecdotes were connected to songs on the cue of archival photographs, cartoons and other visual oddities projected onto a giant vintage-style television set. This presentation recently concluded after 106 shows in 20 countries.

March 2017 marked the release of a special edition of Paul McCartney’s “Flowers In The Dirt”, the 1989 album which included four from the fifteen songs written by the McCartney/MacManus partnership, including the hit single, “My Brave Face” and Costello’s contemporaneous chart success, “Veronica” from his album “Spike”.

The re-issue also includes a dozen demo recordings on which Paul and Elvis accompany themselves on guitar and piano, often performing in the two-part vocal harmony in which the songs were originally composed. Both writers have noted in recent interviews that the original demos may have contained some magic that later renditions failed to match.

Also in 2017, Costello wrote “You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way”, the end title track for the major motion picture, Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool. The film was produced by EON Production’s Barbara Broccoli and stars Annette Bening and Jamie Bell. The video for “You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way” was produced and directed by Mary McCartney. The song appeared on the deluxe edition of Costello’s 2018 album, Look Now.

Look Now, released in October 2018 by Concord Records, was Costello's’ first collection of new material in five years and his first with The Imposters in a decade. Costello worked with co-producer Sebastian Krys at studios in Hollywood, New York City and Vancouver, British Columbia, to create an "uptown pop record.” In addition to the songs Costello wrote, the album included a collaboration with Carole King and three with Burt Bacharach, who plays piano on two, “Don’t Look Now” and “Photographs Can Lie”.

In 2019, Costello released the Purse EP, consisting of four songs containing songwriting collaborations with Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney, as well as musical settings of lyrics by Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan. In the same year, Costello was: presented a Lifetime Achievement Award for songwriting, in Nashville by the Americana Music Association; awarded an O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) for his services to music on the Queens Birthday Honours List; and announced as a recipient of a Hollywood Walk of Fame star for the class of 2020."

Who's going which night(s)?
Last edited by Man out of Time on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Port Chester, NY, October 25 & 26, 2021

Post by bronxapostle »

Both for me
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Both nights of course
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

I'll be there tonight. It will be interesting to see how Elvis's voice is holding up by tomorrow night (his third show in three days).
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Steve Nieve is absent tonight according to reports on Facebook.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Steve Nieve is absent tonight according to reports on Facebook.
Does that make it a Layabouts show?
And No Coffee Table

"Watching the Detectives" with EC on keys:

And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... rt_Chester

01. Heart Of The City
02. Truth Drug
03. Less Than Zero
04. No Flag
05. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
06. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
07. This Year's Girl
08. The Death Of Magic Thinking
09. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
10. So Like Candy
11. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
12. Waiting For The End Of The World
13. We Are All Cowards Now
14. American Gangster Time
15. Watching The Detectives
16. Crying Time
17. Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
18. Brilliant Mistake / Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
19. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
20. Magnificent Hurt
21. Mystery Dance
22. Radio, Radio
23. Farewell, OK
24. Alison
25. I Hope
26. Pump It Up
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Azmuda wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:Steve Nieve is absent tonight according to reports on Facebook.
Does that make it a Layabouts show?
Yes according to Elvis repeatedly
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Last edited by bronxapostle on Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
And No Coffee Table

Review: Elvis Costello Whips Up Stunning Show after Keyboardist Steve Nieve Tests Positive for COVID

by Roger Friedman - October 26, 2021 12:22 am

For some reason every time I go to a show at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, New York it’s memorable.

Tonight was no exception, Elvis Costello and the Imposters were set to start two sold out nights with special guest guitarist Charlie Sexton. What happened? Minutes before the show started, master keyboardist and musical director Steve Nieve tested positive for COVID-19. He wasn’t allowed to go on stage. A big part of Costello’s show depends on Nieve’s wizardry.

So what to do? Costello ripped up the set list he’d planned, similar to the one he’d used in six previous shows in the States, and announced: “We’re just going to play every song we know.” Without Nieve, Costello dubbed the ‘new’ band — which consisted of Pete Thomas on drums and Davey Faragher on rhythm guitar — “The Layabouts.”

The Layabouts put on one of the best and most unique Elvis Costello shows I’ve ever seen. Nieve was missed, but the band played on. (And during a remarkable “Watching the Detectives,” Costello even ventured over to Nieve’s abandoned keyboard station for a little organ improvisation.)

What makes Costello a genuine artist is his versatility. He comes from a jazz and big band background thanks to his father. He entered our consciousness at the forefront of punk and New Wave. But he integrated country and soul and rockabilly, then classical music very quickly into his repertoire. And last night we heard a little bit of all of it, some songs he rarely or doesn’t play at all.

I don’t even know how these guys handled it, and I asked Faragher after the show. He just shrugged. They just know how to play 500 different songs in several genres at the drop of a hat. So we got a stunning cover of Sam & Dave’s “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down” and a full on “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” (Eric Burdon & the Animals) tacked on to an unplanned “So Like Candy.” There were two spot-on country covers that let Sexton shine with “Crying Time” and “The Bottle Let Me Down.”

There was also a new song, coming out this week, “Magnificent Hurt,” that sounded like a winner. A really cool take on “American Gangster Time,” which hadn’t been heard in a while, another new song — “Farewell OK” — that’s dynamite, and a sensational cover of Bobby Charles’s lost gem, “I Hope,” which Costello should record. Almost nothing followed the set list I expected from the six previous shows on this tour, which was fine. The spontaneity was contagious.

There is something magical about the Capitol Theater. Two years ago I saw Neil Young and Promise of the Real do a show there that felt like it levitated. Steely Dan always sounds better there. It’s just rock and roll chemistry.

Elvis and the Layabouts are back Tuesday night. Don’t miss them. Without Nieve, I don’t know what they’ll do. And hopefully no one else in the band or crew tests positive. But the result of this strange plot twist was a memorable night that people will talk about forever. And Costello continues to demonstrate he’s a master showman and a musician of enormous gifted versatility.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Fantastic review. With the tiny pedantic caveat that, of course, Elvis has recorded 'I Hope'! :)
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis and The Layabouts, Port Chester, NY, October 25 & 26, 2021

Post by verbal gymnastics »

To be fair that would probably catch a few people out!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The article is now updated: Steve was false positive!!
This means he will play at the second Port Chester show!
https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/10/26/r ... -for-covid
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sweetest punch wrote:The article is now updated: Steve was false positive!!

Has that been verified? Hoping to see Steve tonight!!
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

bronxapostle wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:The article is now updated: Steve was false positive!!

Has that been verified? Hoping to see Steve tonight!!
Verified:

https://twitter.com/ElvisCostello/statu ... 2827360258
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis and The Layabouts/Imposters, Port Chester, NY, October 25 & 26, 2021

Post by Man out of Time »

He's back:
Elvis and Steve, Port Chester, NY
Elvis and Steve, Port Chester, NY
2021-10-26 Port Chester photo 01.jpg (110.75 KiB) Viewed 10614 times
MOOT
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

My view from the first row center orchestra:

And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... rt_Chester

01. Heart Of The City
02. Truth Drug
03. Green Shirt
04. No Flag
05. Either Side Of The Same Town
06. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
07. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me?
08. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
09. Motel Matches
10. Penelope
11. Uncomplicated - including Shotgun
12. Everyday I Write The Book
13. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
14. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
15. Watching The Detectives
16. The Comedians
17. Brilliant Mistake / Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
18. The Death Of Magic Thinking
19. Mystery Dance
20. Magnificent Hurt
21. Radio, Radio
22. Farewell, OK
23. Alison
24. I Hope
25. Pump It Up - including Ain't That A Lot Of Love
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

No reports from those in attendance?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

There are lots of photos and reviews on a “certain” private Facebook group!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sweetest punch wrote:There are lots of photos and reviews on a “certain” private Facebook group!
Sorry to be a bit pedantic but if one chooses not to use "Facebook" (sic) there's no access - my fate I know but ......................
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Sulky, I use Facebook very reluctantly, only because a lot of people seem to prefer discussing Elvis on that platform rather than on this platform. :(
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:There are lots of photos and reviews on a “certain” private Facebook group!
Sorry to be a bit pedantic but if one chooses not to use "Facebook" (sic) there's no access - my fate I know but ......................
I am sorry that sadly, reports are not posted here like the old days. I guess by the time we share out photos at insta and fbook, upload at YouTube and assure setlist at the wiki and setlisr.fm I guess the fan forum suffers. two great nights and lucky to catch the LAYABOUTS variation. The new songs give us great hope and joyous to hear songs like this one.....

https://youtu.be/yxDh7NCj5oU
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:
sulky lad wrote:
I am sorry that sadly, reports are not posted here like the old days. I guess by the time we share out photos at insta and fbook, upload at YouTube and assure setlist at the wiki and setlisr.fm I guess the fan forum suffers. two great nights and lucky to catch the LAYABOUTS variation. The new songs give us great hope and joyous to hear songs like this one.....

https://youtu.be/yxDh7NCj5oU
Thank you both for these bits -,I do use Youtube to catch the newest performances . How many new songs added to the list now , BA?
Hoping for a long tour in 2022! :wink: