Elvis and The Imposters, Red Bank, NJ, October 22, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and The Imposters, Red Bank, NJ, October 22, 2021

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and The Imposters with Charlie Sexton return to the Count Basie Theatre, in Red Bank, NJ on Friday, October 22, 2021. It is ten years since they played there last, on the Revolver tour.

New Jersey Stage went with the full biography when it previewed the event thus on 21 July:

" Elvis Costello & The Imposters will hit the road once more this October, after more than a year without concerts, in a show entitled "Hello Again." The tour commences in Memphis, Tennessee on October 13th at The Soundstage at Graceland, making a stop at JazzFest in New Orleans on October 16th before visiting towns and cities across the United States. Locally, the tour comes to the Count Basie Center for the Arts in Red Bank on October 22 and The Met in Philadelphia on October 24.

Costello & The Imposters will perform songs from the pages of his formidable songbook. “Hello Again” will also see the first stage performances of songs from the future, as the band time-travel in all directions. The Imposters are: Steve Nieve – piano and organ, drummer, Pete Thomas and bassist and vocalist Davey Faragher.

Elvis Costello began writing songs at the age of thirteen. 2017 marked the 40th anniversary of the release his first record album, “My Aim Is True”. He is perhaps best known for the songs, “Alison”, “Pump It Up”, “Everyday I Write The Book” and his rendition of the Nick Lowe song, “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding”.

His record catalogue of more than thirty albums includes the contrasting pop and rock & roll albums, “This Year’s Model”, ”Armed Forces”, “Imperial Bedroom”, “Blood and Chocolate” and “King Of America” along with an album of country covers, “Almost Blue” and two collections of orchestrally accompanied piano ballads, “Painted From Memory” - with Burt Bacharach and “North”.

He has performed worldwide with his bands, The Attractions, His Confederates - which featured two members of Elvis Presley’s “T.C.B” band - and his current group, The Imposters – Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher - as well as solo concerts, most recently his acclaimed solo show, “Detour”.

Costello has entered into songwriting collaborations with Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach, the Brodsky Quartet and with Allen Toussaint for the album “The River In Reverse”, the first major label recording project to visit New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and completed there while the city was still under curfew.

In 2003, Costello acted as lyrical editor of six songs written with his wife, the jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall for her album “The Girl In The Other Room”. He has written lyrics for compositions by Charles Mingus, Billy Strayhorn and Oscar Peterson and musical settings for words by W.B. Yeats and Bob Dylan.

Costello’s songs have been recorded by a great number of artists, including, George Jones, Linda Ronstadt, Georgie Fame, Chet Baker, Johnny Cash, June Tabor, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield, Robert Wyatt, Anne Sofie von Otter, Solomon Burke and Darlene Love.

During his career, Costello has received numerous prestigious honors, including two Ivor Novello Awards for songwriting, a Dutch Edison Award with The Brodsky Quartet for “The Juliet Letters”, the Nordoff-Robbins Silver Clef Award, a BAFTA for the music written with Richard Harvey for Alan Bleasdale’s television drama series “G.B.H.” and a Grammy for “I Still Have That Other Girl” from his 1998 collaboration with Burt Bacharach, “Painted From Memory”.

Elvis Costello and The Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. In the same year, Costello was awarded ASCAP’s prestigious Founder’s Award.

In 2004 Costello was nominated for an Oscar for Best Song – “The Scarlet Tide,” co-written with T Bone Burnett and sung by Alison Krauss in the motion picture “Cold Mountain”

In 2016 Elvis Costello was inducted into the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame in the company of Chip Taylor and Tom Petty.

Costello’s first full-length orchestral work, “Il Sogno” was commissioned in 2000 by the Italian dance company, Aterballetto, for their adaptation of Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and the score subsequently recorded by The London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Tilson-Thomas and released by Deutsche Grammophon, staying at the top of Billboard’s Contemporary Classical Charts for 14 weeks of 2004.

This release led in turn to a series of orchestral concert performances with a number of the world’s great symphonic orchestras, opening with a suite from “Il Sogno” conducted by Alan Broadbent and closing with a selection of Costello songs arranged for voice, the piano of Stebe Nieve and orchestra.

From 2011-2014: Having recorded the albums, “When I Was Cruel”, “The Delivery Man” and “Momofuku” together since 2002, Elvis Costello and The Imposters – Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher - toured for four years with “The Spectacular Spinning Songbook”, employing a 20-foot game-show wheel with which audience members selected the next song to be performed.

In 2015, the Penguin/Blue Rider imprint published Costello’s nuanced and evocative memoir, “Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink” while he was appearing in “Detour” a largely solo performance – although frequently augmented by Rebecca and Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe - in which anecdotes were connected to songs on the cue of archival photographs, cartoons and other visual oddities projected onto a giant vintage-style television set. This presentation recently concluded after 106 shows in 20 countries.

Also in 2017, Costello wrote “You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way”, the end title track for the major motion picture, Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool. The film was produced by EON Production’s Barbara Broccoli and stars Annette Bening and Jamie Bell. The video for “You Shouldn’t Look At Me That Way” was produced and directed by Mary McCartney. The song appeared on the deluxe edition of Costello’s 2018 album, Look Now.

Look Now, released in October 2018 by Concord Records, was Costello's’ first collection of new material in five years and his first with The Imposters in a decade. Costello worked with co-producer Sebastian Krys at studios in Hollywood, New York City and Vancouver, British Columbia, to create an "uptown pop record.” In addition to the songs Costello wrote, the album included a collaboration with Carole King and three with Burt Bacharach, who plays piano on two, “Don’t Look Now” and “Photographs Can Lie”.

In 2019, Costello released the Purse EP, consisting of four songs containing songwriting collaborations with Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney, as well as musical settings of lyrics by Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan. In the same year, Costello was: presented a Lifetime Achievement Award for songwriting, in Nashville by the Americana Music Association; awarded an O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) for his services to music on the Queens Birthday Honours List; and announced as a recipient of a Hollywood Walk of Fame star for the class of 2020. "

Who's going?

MOOT
JerseyPride78

Re: Elvis and The Imposters, Red Bank, NJ, October 22, 2021

Post by JerseyPride78 »

Unfortunately I had to sell my ticket due to an unavoidable conflict (I had front row center!!). I'll be going to Night 1 in Port Chester instead.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Looking forward to being there!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Wow....that would have made 13 additions to my SEEN LIVE archive!! hope I get each of those and NEWSPAPER PANE too on 10/25 & 26.
jmm

Post by jmm »

It was great BA! And Pretty sure the untitled was a new one too

More later
GetHappy!!

Post by GetHappy!! »

The untitled song was “The Death Of Magic Thinking”; basically “Chelsea” segued into it with no break, chopping off the last (repeated) verse.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2_Red_Bank

Setlist

01. Big Tears
02. Truth Drug
03. Green Shirt
04. No Flag
05. Either Side Of The Same Town
06. Hetty O'Hara Confidential
07. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me?
08. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
09. Motel Matches
10. Mistook Me For A Friend
11. Uncomplicated - including Shotgun
12. Everyday I Write The Book
13. We Are All Cowards Now - including Back Stabbers
14. What If I Can't Give You Anything But Love?
15. Watching The Detectives
16. The Comedians
17. Brilliant Mistake / Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
18. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea / unidentified
19. The Death Of Magic Thinking
20. Magnificent Hurt
21. Mystery Dance
22. Radio, Radio
23. Farewell, OK
24. Alison
25. Pump It Up - including Ain't That A Lot Of Love
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Ooh - interesting to see 'Hey Clockface' getting a spin. How did that work in terms of an Imposters arrangement?
jmm

Post by jmm »

Hey clockface was among the highlights for me. The mix of classic and new songs with band getting the re-hang of playing together was really great. No flag was another example

I hope the truly new songs aren’t buried in production when they are released. Hoping for something more along the lines of momofuku. They each seem really promising (probably helps that we are starved for it). What if I can’t give you anything but love seemed to stand out but not by too much over the others

The whole night was a truly a glimpse back (classic songs / pre-Covid times esp with pump it up /plu at the end) and forward (all the new songs / new for Imposters & feeling comfortable enough for the sing along at the end to occur)

He tried call & response with red shoes near the start and not a big response at that point.

Enjoyed it so much that we might just have to make it to Port Chester this week too

Hope u all enjoy the shows as much as we did!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:Hey clockface was among the highlights for me. The mix of classic and new songs with band getting the re-hang of playing together was really great. No flag was another example

I hope the truly new songs aren’t buried in production when they are released. Hoping for something more along the lines of momofuku. They each seem really promising (probably helps that we are starved for it). What if I can’t give you anything but love seemed to stand out but not by too much over the others

The whole night was a truly a glimpse back (classic songs / pre-Covid times esp with pump it up /plu at the end) and forward (all the new songs / new for Imposters & feeling comfortable enough for the sing along at the end to occur)

He tried call & response with red shoes near the start and not a big response at that point.

Enjoyed it so much that we might just have to make it to Port Chester this week too

Hope u all enjoy the shows as much as we did!!!

Please come to the Cap Mr Mrs jmm