Mighty Like A Rose at 30

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Mighty Like A Rose at 30

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Miclewis

Re: Mighty Like A Rose at 30

Post by Miclewis »

All This Useless Beauty should be 25 years old on May 14th as well.

The 14th is my birthday, and it was so great getting new Elvis albums on my birthday.

Kojak Variety was pretty close on May 9th, but I had the bootleg for years before it was released.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.spin.com/featured/30-overlo ... this-year/

30 Overlooked 1991 Albums Turning 30 This Year
A look back at the rock albums released in the shadow of 'Nevermind'

1991 was a transformative year for rock music, a time when alternative rock and heavy metal entered a new era of commercial dominance. Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden ushered in the explosion of Seattle grunge alongside blockbuster albums by Metallica, R.E.M. and Red Hot Chili Peppers, to say nothing of influential indie classics by My Bloody Valentine, Primal Scream and Slint, or SPIN’s album of the year, Teenage Fanclub’s Bandwagonesque.

But while 1991’s hits set the agenda for alternative rock for the rest of the decade, the year was brimming over with fascinating career footnotes and debuts from other promising new bands. In England, the music press was excitedly hyping up genres like shoegaze, baggy, and whatever “grebo” was, while American indie bands like fIREHOSE, the Meat Puppets, and Screaming Trees hopped to major labels. Icons like Neil Young and David Bowie channeled the influences of a new generation, while short-lived bands like School of Fish and EMF enjoyed brief moments in the sun.

Here are 30 albums that will turn 30 this year, or already have.

(…)

Elvis Costello – Mighty Like a Rose

Elvis Costello nearly released Mighty Like a Rose under his birth name, Declan McManus, before his label persuaded him to keep his more recognizable stage name. But the album sounds less like a reboot than a sequel to his 1989 comeback album Spike, featuring many of the same collaborators (Paul McCartney, T-Bone Burnett, Mitchell Froom, and Marc Ribot). The single “The Other Side of Summer” hit No. 1 on Billboard’s Modern Rock chart, but he’d only manage one more entry on the chart before alternative radio put Costello out to pasture.

(…)
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

One of Elvis' most under-rated LPs. 'Broken' is a tuneless dirge and (possibly controversial opinion) 'So Like Candy' doesn't quite work. Everything else is top-drawer Elvis. Lyrically dense, musically aggressive - the whole thing has a quirky, ragged, smack-in-the-face energy that surpasses Spike and Brutal Youth, for me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Oof, I wouldn't go that far - I think Brutal Youth is a top-five album.

I never minded 'Broken' - it's meant to be a dirge, I think! Or at least a mystical chant. And I wouldn't call it tuneless. (Couldn't Call It Tuneless #4)
JPadoo

Post by JPadoo »

One of Elvis’ most underrated LP’s…yes, of course. Along with Almost Blue, Blood and Chocolate, The Juliet Letters, Brutal Youth, When I Was Cruel, Look Now (I know, I know…Grammy award winning record, but outside of THAT, so under appreciated) and so on and so on. I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but his almost universal excellence….
wardo68

Re: Mighty Like A Rose

Post by wardo68 »

Psc

Post by Psc »

Definitely in my top 5 Elvis albums. It hit me hard at a very significant and emotional time in my life (aged 21) and had a big impact. All Grown Up, How To Be Dumb, So Like Candy and Couldn’t Call It Unexpected are four of his very greatest. The only disappointment for me was that the tour was kind of a letdown. I saw a show at Hammersmith Odeon and the band (apart from Pete) just weren’t great live.
It's not a matter of life or death. But what is, what is?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Psc wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:58 am Definitely in my top 5 Elvis albums. It hit me hard at a very significant and emotional time in my life (aged 21) and had a big impact. All Grown Up, How To Be Dumb, So Like Candy and Couldn’t Call It Unexpected are four of his very greatest. The only disappointment for me was that the tour was kind of a letdown. I saw a show at Hammersmith Odeon and the band (apart from Pete) just weren’t great live.
I felt like that at the show in Bristol. Hadn’t seen Elvis for 2 years, wouldn’t’ see him for another 3 years and then
had to endure the stodgy uninspired playing of most of the Rude Five. My least favourite EC gig of over 150 ! :cry:
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Probably my least favorite Elvis album. Aside from So Like Candy. He was in transition from Cait, who I imagine that song was about, and in a weird place. Overproduced and clunky. I love the Brinsley Schwarz cover of Ugly Things, but I think it precedes this by a year.