Elvis at Montclair Literary Festival, online, April 6, 2021

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis at Montclair Literary Festival, online, April 6, 2021

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/montcla ... ith-music/

Montclair Literary Festival to present Richard Thompson, Elvis Costello in online ‘conversation with music’

Succeed2gether’s Montclair Literary Festival will present Richard Thompson and Elvis Costello in what is being described as a “live conversation with music,” April 6 at 8 p.m., online. For information, visit bit.ly/Beeswing46.

The event will help launch’s Thompson’s memoir, “Beeswing: Losing My Way and Finding My Voice, 1967-1975” (Algonquin Books, $27.95, 304 pp.), which is being published on April 6.

$35 tickets include a copy of the book; the first 100 people to register will receive a signed copy. Event-only tickets are $20.

Thompson, one of the architects of the ’60s British folk-rock movement as well as one of the most acclaimed singer-songwriters and guitarists of his generation, is currently living in Montclair.

Costello is a longtime admirer of Thompson. He recorded Thompson’s “Withered and Died” in 1984 and also invited Thompson to perform on his television series “Spectacle” in 2009. (see videos below).

Proceeds from the event will benefit the Montclair-based nonprofit organization Succeed2gether, which offers tutoring and enrichment classes designed to close the education and opportunity gaps in Essex County. Visit succeed2gether.org.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis at Montclair Literary Festival, online, April 6, 2021

Post by bronxapostle »

Oh how I wish this was in person. :? :?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Buyer beware! This noodlehead bought access without reading the fine print. Event is at 8pm, great, but that's EST not BST, so that's 1am for us Limeys doh!!!
Will just have to while away the hours playing early Fairport.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:Buyer beware! This noodlehead bought access without reading the fine print. Event is at 8pm, great, but that's EST not BST, so that's 1am for us Limeys doh!!!
Not prepared to sit up until 1:00am to wait for Elvis? Where's your commitment, man? Honestly, you just can't get the staff these days. Pour a large brandy and stick some matchsticks under your eyelids! :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Top balcony wrote:Buyer beware! This noodlehead bought access without reading the fine print. Event is at 8pm, great, but that's EST not BST, so that's 1am for us Limeys doh!!!
Will just have to while away the hours playing early Fairport.
TOP!!!! what were you thinking? New Jersey runs on British Summer Time??? :lol: :lol: message me your number, i'll give you a wake up call.
MAAAAN, i soooo wish this was happening on stage in front of an audience. i'd drop $200-300 to see our guy right about now. :( :(
i would imagine at least a couple songs together, right?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

bronxapostle wrote: i would imagine at least a couple songs together, right?
My guess is that the nature of Zoom will prevent anything 'together' live unless they've done a pre-recorded stitched together thingy, like the epic 'What's So Funny' recently. EC's contributions to Steve's Imobile Tour pieces with SN trying to accompany via signal delay are fun, but probably too ramshackle for this event, which is aimed at selling Richard's Book. Perhaps they'll show Shoot Out the Lights from Spectacle? Any music from these two will be fantastic anyway.

I first saw RT with the post-Sandy Fairport at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on 5th February 1970. In those days they sold tickets in the orchestra circle behind the band, I imagine this was all my pocket money would stretch to. I wonder if EC was also in the audience? He came back to the city that year.

V. exited.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Top balcony wrote:
bronxapostle wrote: i would imagine at least a couple songs together, right?
My guess is that the nature of Zoom will prevent anything 'together' live unless they've done a pre-recorded stitched together thingy, like the epic 'What's So Funny' recently. EC's contributions to Steve's Imobile Tour pieces with SN trying to accompany via signal delay are fun, but probably too ramshackle for this event, which is aimed at selling Richard's Book. Perhaps they'll show Shoot Out the Lights from Spectacle? Any music from these two will be fantastic anyway.

I first saw RT with the post-Sandy Fairport at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on 5th February 1970. In those days they sold tickets in the orchestra circle behind the band, I imagine this was all my pocket money would stretch to. I wonder if EC was also in the audience? He came back to the city that year.

V. exited.
Pocket money in 1970 - i thought they wouldn't let you in wearing shorts and school cap and with a sherbet dab in your hand!
I've seen a few photos of Elvis playing a similar sort of gig with the audience behind the stage -Belfast 1978 might well be one of them !
jmm

Post by jmm »

Maybe a redo of something from Spectale’s “build a band night” (what fun it was to be there for that) or trading off verses of something like withered & died??
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

jmm wrote:Maybe a redo of something from Spectale’s “build a band night” (what fun it was to be there for that) or trading off verses of something like withered & died??
'Withered and Died' too obvious, I'd say. But the idea of trading off verses on a song by either one of them - fantastic. Top five songs by each of them, on which you'd like to see them trading verses. Off you go, colleagues.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Here's what they won't perform together - but it would be fun if they did :

EC's songs :

Indoor Fireworks
Beyond Belief ( Detour accoustic version)
April 5th
Oliver's Army
Dr Watson, I Presume

RT's songs :

Bright Lights
Meet on the Ledge*
Galway to Gracelands
Valerie
Down Where the Drunkards Roll

Encore - given EC's current penchant for Franglais they could duet on Dylan's Si Tu Dois Partir

* given the raison d'etre of this event it's a stone cold certainty that RT will zoom in with this.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I claim ignorance to the whole of Richard's work. Probably, if I was well enough to attend Spectacle those dozen years ago, it might be different. As you all know I love sharing what I do know/recall; so, i will tell you this. Guiness Fleadh 1999 Randall's Island had us running back & forth between the big stage and the other one, trying to not miss the acts that merited our interest. I am compelled to share: it could have been the Guinness or the weed that I was still puffing in 1999, but as a guy who has seen nearly every great rock guitarist live from Page to Prince, SRV to Johnny Winter, Clapton to Beck, Rory to Roy to Fripp to Howe to Hackett to Gilmour to Jerry to you name it, RICHARD THOMPSON PLAYED THE MOST INCREDIBLE GUITAR SOLO I EVER SAW THAT DAY! is there a recording?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Top balcony wrote:Here's what they won't perform together - but it would be fun if they did :

EC's songs
Indoor Fireworks
Beyond Belief (Detour acoustic version)
April 5th
Oliver's Army
Dr Watson, I Presume

RT's songs
Bright Lights
Meet on the Ledge*
Galway to Gracelands
Valerie
Down Where the Drunkards Roll
Nice lists. April 5th would be fantastic - obviously the EC version has multiple vocalists anyway, but I could really hear RT on the Kristofferson parts. And Dr Watson - great choice, as I guess he was something of an idol for both of them.

For me:

EC
If I Could Believe
Bullets For The New-Born King
What Is It that I Need that I Don't Already Have?
Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head
Heart Shaped Bruise

RT
A Heart Needs a Home
Why Must I Plead
Tear-Stained Letter
King of Bohemia
Guns are the Tongues
bronxapostle wrote:I claim ignorance to the whole of Richard's work. Probably, if I was well enough to attend Spectacle those dozen years ago, it might be different. As you all know I love sharing what I do know/recall; so, i will tell you this. Guiness Fleadh 1999 Randall's Island had us running back & forth between the big stage and the other one, trying to not miss the acts that merited our interest. I am compelled to share: it could have been the Guinness or the weed that I was still puffing in 1999, but as a guy who has seen nearly every great rock guitarist live from Page to Prince, SRV to Johnny Winter, Clapton to Beck, Rory to Roy to Fripp to Howe to Hackett to Gilmour to Jerry to you name it, RICHARD THOMPSON PLAYED THE MOST INCREDIBLE GUITAR SOLO I EVER SAW THAT DAY! is there a recording?
There's a great line from Lou Reed, which I read ages ago and am probably misremembering/paraphrasing, but it was something like...Lou Reed hears a record and says 'wow, who's playing guitar there?' Someone says 'Richard Thompson' and Lou Reed says 'and...?' and the other person says 'no, that's just Richard Thompson, he's playing the whole thing'. :)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I remember hearing Bruce’s bass on Human Hands in IB and thinking they’d double tracked him abs then heard him play it live at Shepherds Bush in 1994 and being dumbfounded at his virtuosity abs technique !
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

What is abs technique? Never heard the term except as stomach muscles.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

[quote="sulky lad" Bruce’s virtuosity abs ![/quote]

Suprised you were dumbfounded - as a martial arts expert it's reasonable to expect that BT has 'killer abs' :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

just seeing your Lou Reed 'RICHARD evaluation' now Hawksmoor...a GREAT story! i was beyond impressed too with what i saw that June day. i was running around with SONY in hand that day. it could be that i acquired a fragment of his appearance on tape. i must go excavating for that days cassettes. though if i was short on blanks, maybe i had to economize to make it last till EC set. is there a comparable Richard site that might share live recordings too?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

bronxapostle wrote:just seeing your Lou Reed 'RICHARD evaluation' now Hawksmoor...a GREAT story! i was beyond impressed too with what i saw that June day. i was running around with SONY in hand that day. it could be that i acquired a fragment of his appearance on tape. i must go excavating for that days cassettes. though if i was short on blanks, maybe i had to economize to make it last till EC set. is there a comparable Richard site that might share live recordings too?
I'm not a member of any, but I'm sure there are. Be warned that hardcore RT fans make us EC fans look like lightweight dabblers!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

fred darden wrote:What is abs technique? Never heard the term except as stomach muscles.
Sorry typo for abs read and! :roll:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hawksmoor wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:just seeing your Lou Reed 'RICHARD evaluation' now Hawksmoor...a GREAT story! i was beyond impressed too with what i saw that June day. i was running around with SONY in hand that day. it could be that i acquired a fragment of his appearance on tape. i must go excavating for that days cassettes. though if i was short on blanks, maybe i had to economize to make it last till EC set. is there a comparable Richard site that might share live recordings too?
I'm not a member of any, but I'm sure there are. Be warned that hardcore RT fans make us EC fans look like lightweight dabblers!

That’s scary !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Insane asylum scary...NOT that there is anything wrong with THAT?
jmm

Post by jmm »

Watched and enjoyed the live stream. A lot to take in and am looking forward to re-watching. Might need to take notes!!
staccato66

Post by staccato66 »

I was unable to watch last live night, and I don't see any option to watch after the fact. Does anyone have a link to a recording?

Thanks.
jmm

Post by jmm »

They mentioned re-watching on the stream. Haven’t tried it yet but will report back.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.montclairlocal.news/2021/04 ... -thompson/

LISTENING IN WITH ELVIS COSTELLO AND MONTCLAIR’S RICHARD THOMPSON
Thompson, who moved to Montclair in 2017, launches his new memoir, ‘Beeswing: Losing My Way and Finding My Voice 1967-1975’

When Richard Thompson got up to plug in his computer, the at-home Crowdcast audience worldwide got a quick glimpse of his knees.

There was something endearingly informal about Elvis Costello’s interview with Thompson the night of April 6, at a ticketed event for Succeed2gether’s Montclair Literary Festival.

More than 650 people worldwide tuned in on Crowdcast to watch Costello, in Vancouver, interview Thompson, in Montclair, about the launch of Thompson’s new book, “Beeswing: Losing My Way and Finding My Voice 1967-1975.” The book came out the same day.

It takes its title from a beloved Thompson song.

Thompson, who moved to Montclair in 2017, was a founding member of the folk-rock group Fairport Convention in 1967, when Thompson was just 17. After leaving the band in 1971, he continued a distinguished musical career, and was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 2011.

The close-ups of the musicians’ faces and the many chat messages from the crowd — which showed that people were tuning in from Guatemala, all over America, England — combined to create a feeling almost of listening in while two legendary musicians talked shop.

Thompson, 71, is a few years older than Costello, 66 — a five-year difference that put Costello in a different generation than the rock bands of the 1960s, but close enough in age for them to remain major influences on his own work, and for the two performers to share in memories of London.

Costello (Declan Patrick Aloysius McManus) is also an Officer of the Order of the British Empire, appointed in 2019, and his own memoir, “Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink,” came out in 2016. He has won two grammy awards.

The two joked about British television shows of days gone by, and traded guitar insider comments (did you know a B-bender was a guitar strap that can pull the B-string up, often used in country music?).

Among the topics they covered: the London of Thompson’s youth, the musical scene, the folk-rock/rock music connection, Fairport Convention’s tragic highway accident of 1969, Thompson’s spirituality and the nature of musical memoirs.

There likely won’t be a sequel to this book, Thompson said. He gets bored by many rock memoirs about ⅔ of the way through, when the story becomes about awards shows and revisiting places for the third time. His next book, if he writes one, would likely be something else about music.

FINDING HIS WAY

“I’m fonder of the ’50s than any other decade,” Thompson told Costello, explaining why he wrote about the post-war era with such affection. “Bombed sites seemed wonderful and magical places to play.” Though there was austerity, it was his childhood, and things were happening for the first time, he explained.

Costello said that as he read the book, he realized Thompson “could have been in a punk lineup with Andy Summers [of The Police] and Hugh Cornwell [of The Stranglers]. Hugh Cornwall was a school friend of yours. But maybe the world was a little smaller then.”

“The music profession was probably a 10th of the size it was now,” Thompson agreed. “You did know everybody in London. If you read the Melody Maker [a music magazine] you knew about every band in Liverpool, Los Angeles, New York… it was a great education.”

The magazine not only covered rock bands, but jazz and folk music too, he said. At home, Thompson’s father had records by jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt, blues and jazz player Lonnie Johnson.

He also listened to classical music by John Dowland and Benjamin Britten.

“Dowland was an absolute superstar of his time. A great songwriter, a great singer, a great lutenist. The Jimi Hendrix of the 1580s,” Thompson said.

“I’m sure I read that in the Melody Maker,” Costello said.

At The Speakeasy Club in London, where musicians would go to get a bite and a drink after their gigs, Jimi Hendrix often sat in.

Costello wondered if Hendrix seemed exceptional at the time.

He did, Thompson said. Hendrix intimidated all the London guitarists — Pete Townsend, Eric Clapton.

“You couldn’t upstage Hendrix,” Thompson said. “He’d have another trick to pull. He’d play behind his back. He’d play with his teeth. If you could compete as a player, he’d upstage you as a showman.”

The London guitarists, like Hendrix, were blues-based, and layered rock and roll on top of it. But Thompson was not blues based; he had other influences, and decided to “jump sidewards” to not be pigeonholed with other guitarists.

‘HOW NAKED IS THAT?’

Costello brought up “something we couldn’t go around” — the terrible highway accident the Fairports had in 1969, resulting in the deaths of drummer Martin Lamble and Thompson’s girlfriend Jeannie Franklyn.

“After the accident, we couldn’t bear to play songs we’d played with Martin,” Thompson said. The following record included many songs that were almost requiems.

“It was our way of mourning. We didn’t have therapy. Nobody thought of sending you to a counselor for stress,” he said.

The band’s members drew further away from American influences as they dived deeper into the folk form.

Costello described watching a YouTube video of Thompson and Fairport playing a “beatific” rendition of Thompson’s song, “Now Be Thankful” in 1970, and then the experience of seeing Thompson perform it 10 years ago, at the Cropredy Festival (an annual folk and rock festival Fairport founded in 1976) with gravity and strength.

“You’re your own folk music,” Costello said. “You’ve become your own tradition.”

“I’m on a mission, still on a mission to find music that satisfies my soul,” Thompson said. “The British tradition that meets rock-and-roll thing. There’s so much to explore. I’m looking for that sound that’ll take you to another dimension.”

Thompson’s spirituality led him to convert to Islam after meeting Sufi Muslims in the early 1970s.

When he met the Sufis, Thompson said he thought, “They’re like me. I thought I could learn from them, become a better person if I hung out with them.”

“Beeswing” also includes a series of dreams, which show that the creative process is not always linear, Thompson said.

Now that the book is out, Costello wondered: Is Thompson worried about what it reveals?

“As a musician, you’re laying yourself bare all the time,” Thompson replied. “You play solo sometimes. How naked is that? There’s only you.”

Thompson sang an early Fairport song, “Genesis Hall,” about a London hotel that had been used by hippies as a squat, shut down by the police, to close the evening.

Thompson was alone with his guitar and his strong, pure voice.