Do you have a favorite EC concert?

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

Do you have a favorite EC concert?

Post by docinwestchester »

I do and it's not even close. I've been going through my computer files during this extended concert-free period in my life, and was reminded of this:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 6_New_York

What a cool night. Wise Up Ghost was being released at midnight and we all got a copy of the CD upon entry. It's a tiny venue, capacity 800. Benny and I got there only about 1 hour before doors opened and found ourselves nearly at the front of the line. Soon we had elbows on the very small and low stage. It was a special event, hardly publicized, probably due to the small capacity. Throughout the night, I got the sense the audience was mostly die-hard fans. Not the usual casual fans yelling out "Alison" all night.

Musically, I loved the song arrangements with The Roots. I always liked that horn arrangement in Watching The Detectives that was used in My Flame Burns Blue, and it was so nicely used here, but with more of a reggae beat. I Want You, never a live favorite of mine, was another highlight, thanks to The Roots who seemed to inspire EC even more than usual. He even included the rarely used intro. The mini set with La Marisoul was great, especially their version of Ghost Town. Shabby Doll was a fun surprise. The Lennon cover to close the show sealed the deal. Unlike many, I actually like the Wise Up Ghost album, so those songs were appreciated too.

And the cherry on top? It was broadcast live on the local public radio station in what turned out to be a very high quality recording.

Compared to some here, I haven't been to that many EC shows (~20), but this was my favorite.
bronxapostle

Re: Do you have a favorite EC concert?

Post by bronxapostle »

a great show doc....but i thought you were going to pick THIS one!!!

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1_New_York
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

docinwestchester wrote:I do and it's not even close. I've been going through my computer files during this extended concert-free period in my life, and was reminded of this:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 6_New_York

What a cool night. Wise Up Ghost was being released at midnight and we all got a copy of the CD upon entry. It's a tiny venue, capacity 800. Benny and I got there only about 1 hour before doors opened and found ourselves nearly at the front of the line. Soon we had elbows on the very small and low stage. It was a special event, hardly publicized, probably due to the small capacity. Throughout the night, I got the sense the audience was mostly die-hard fans. Not the usual casual fans yelling out "Alison" all night.

Musically, I loved the song arrangements with The Roots. I always liked that horn arrangement in Watching The Detectives that was used in My Flame Burns Blue, and it was so nicely used here, but with more of a reggae beat. I Want You, never a live favorite of mine, was another highlight, thanks to The Roots who seemed to inspire EC even more than usual. He even included the rarely used intro. The mini set with La Marisoul was great, especially their version of Ghost Town. Shabby Doll was a fun surprise. The Lennon cover to close the show sealed the deal. Unlike many, I actually like the Wise Up Ghost album, so those songs were appreciated too.

And the cherry on top? It was broadcast live on the local public radio station in what turned out to be a very high quality recording.

Compared to some here, I haven't been to that many EC shows (~20), but this was my favorite.
I can understand this choice - especially as The Roots seemed to invigorate our man and I remember being excited that it would be captured for posterity.
I've raved about my favourite gig so many times (http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Liverpool)
but there have been many really close ones - seeing The Attractions for the first time in 8 years at the RAH with my new love (Mrs. Sulky - who encourages me in my devotion), Sheffield 1994, 2002 and 2013, St. Austell in 1984 with The Attractions and in Cardiff same year with EC solo- it's like trying to pick your favourite child ( no problems there then :wink: ) but I'll never forget the sheer excitement of The New Picket in Liverpool's elite
luxury housing development!
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

I have been to almost 100. Hard to beat the energy of those Attractions shows in 78 but may favorite Radio City Music Hall with Burt. I love the album and the mix of effectively 3 shows.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

It would probably have to be my first, aged 18 - Liverpool Royal Court, 8 and 9 Dec 1986 - Blood & Chocolate/Spinning Songbook tour. My brother and I got a train from South Wales and stayed at my great aunt and uncle's in Wallasey, and went into Liverpool each night for the two amazing gigs.

It was such a thrill to see my hero live for the first time, in that room with that voice. It was a standing gig and the atmosphere was great. Elvis dressed in a black suit and shirt, the Attractions attractively clad, lots of variety in the shows, some great acoustic sets, a hilarious slide show by Elvis, some amazing cover versions like Knowing Me, Knowing You and His Latest Flame. Andrew Scofield (Scully) was special guest - wonder what he's doing now? - and Alan Bleasdale was in the royal box. There was an insane version of Poor Napoleon near the end of one of the gigs where the stage went black - it was more like My Bloody Valentine than EC & The Attractions. Cait came on, played bass and smoked a fag which glowed moodily in the dark.

Other highlights include the Albert Hall 'Return of the Spinning Songbook' where I bagged a great seat near the front (though it wasn't the Russell Crowe night) and the atmosphere was really celebratory and joyous. I remember Sulky, MOT and Verbal were there - maybe some others.

'North' Tour with Steve Nieve, Royal Festival Hall was also incredible - some astounding vocals (Either Side of the Same Town, Deep Dark Truthful Mirror) and playing that night. It was the one where Clint Eastwood turned up and took a seat next to Diana Krall.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

It is kind of a toss up for me between two very different EC concerts:

7/22/05 in Wallingford, CT. with Emmylou Harris, Larry Campbell, and The Imposters.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... allingford

7/17/04 at Avery Fisher Hall in NYC with the Brooklyn Philharmonic. Il Sogno suite premiere with Elvis and Steve doing a set afterwards.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 7_New_York
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Miclewis wrote:It is kind of a toss up for me between two very different EC concerts:

7/22/05 in Wallingford, CT. with Emmylou Harris, Larry Campbell, and The Imposters.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... allingford

7/17/04 at Avery Fisher Hall in NYC with the Brooklyn Philharmonic. Il Sogno suite premiere with Elvis and Steve doing a set afterwards.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 7_New_York
I'd have loved to see Elvis and The I's with Emmylou and Larry - amazing talents !
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i am sure that a few want to hear what i have to say. :lol: :lol: :lol:
as an out and out loon and stated somewhere above, i have seen way too many to pick just one. i would need to enumerate top ten and even that will leave many unlisted. so, let me give you a few and see where my mind takes me.

10/27/1986 TOWER THEATRE Confederates; my longest (AND A GREAT ONE) show i ever saw E perform
8/18/1984 FOREST HILLS Attractions Papa's Got a Brand New Bag show...FUNKY
9/22/2003 Town Hall with STEVE....other worldly set!!! Radio Silence!
12/31/1981 NYC Palladium Almost Blue Almost 82 44 songs plus Steve solo ten minutes till midnight
11/27/2013 Morristown New Jersey solo! last night of tour with 14 tour debuts and my beloved IMAGINATION, KNUCKLES and HAUNT
8/21/1982 JFK Philly Attractions hell bent on winning over several thousand GENESIS fans and succeeding
4/15/1984 Avery Fisher Hall solo....a monstrous performance. all those debuts.
5/24/2011 BEACON Pete sings up front w/ EC on B & W WORLD & other rarities: LET ME ROLL IT, EARTHBOUND, BIRD CAN SING
10/1/2011 United Palace Another spinning songbook, fresh off the anger of abbreviated Long Island show....INSANE!!!
5/22/1996 late show SUPPER CLUB duo with Steve just absurd how good they were and the they songs played
10/24/1986 Broadway my first spinning songbook....just TOO MUCH FUN with Penn and Teller, Soozie Tyrell and Buster Poindexter!!
6/25/2014 Carnegie Hall SIDE ONE of MAIT to start the show???? AND Tommy's Coming Home!! A+++
6/11/1994 Jones Beach Attractions Brutal Youth; MAD AS HELL EC because of his guitar tuning problems equals a FANTASTIC SHOW!!!!

there's the lucky 13....just like his albums, i could name many different tomorrow if asked to name thirteen again. 8) 8)

do i make it top 25?? LOL i left out a couple of SUPER SHOWS!!!

7/22/2005 Wallingford with Emmylou....tremendously big setlist, stellar performances, band unleashed + Emmylou & Larry too
8/13/1996 Beacon...did the ATTRACTIONS know it was their last EVER NYC show? sure played that way
10/28/2002 Newark BEAUTIFUL room, great sound ALIBI a la Neil Young; Mood Swings too. just a FANTASTIC night
10/13/1998 RADIO CITY with the BURT BACHARACH show, from EC singing first song behind curtain to finale...AMAZING!
4/23/2005 Atlantic City NEW band THE PICK UPS only time w/ STEVE. one for the ages indeed
6/10/2009 Beacon NYC SUGARCANES just a joy to see so much different, arrangements and new songs. MAGNIFICENT
8/27/1982 Forest Hills jam packed tennis stadium, 4th row seats, a band and man unconscious

okay, that makes it top 20....i bet i dream up a couple more that belong here before long! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELVIS!!!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Only seen him three times, but I especially liked a show he did in Boston (Orpheum maybe) with Steve N. and Brodsky Quartet.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
jmm

Post by jmm »

Glad to see a few top ones in common with BA like NJPAC, United Palace, Morristown last show of tour, radio city with Burt, etc.

A few very special one offs like Elvis sings Nick and vice versa or with the pres hall jazz band both in SF, or detour in Tokyo

But a special place will always be there for being in the go go cage at spinning songbook in NJ and me & mrs at the incredible Montréal show with AT et al that became the hot as a pistol dvd (and includes us)!!!!

Nice to think about traveling again for a change. I hear they say it broadens the mind
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jmm wrote:Glad to see a few top ones in common with BA like NJPAC, United Palace, Morristown last show of tour, radio city with Burt, etc.

A few very special one offs like Elvis sings Nick and vice versa or with the pres hall jazz band both in SF, or detour in Tokyo

But a special place will always be there for being in the go go cage at spinning songbook in NJ and me & mrs at the incredible Montréal show with AT et al that became the hot as a pistol dvd (and includes us)!!!!

Nice to think about traveling again for a change. I hear they say it broadens the mind
Love you jmm and bride
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

jmm wrote:< ... A few very special one offs like Elvis sings Nick and vice versa or with the pres hall jazz band both in SF ... >

Yeah -- those two were special events. It felt like a privilege to be in attendance.

(It's odd that a recording never surfaced of The Chapel shows. Or maybe they did, and I missed them...)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Dr. Luther wrote:
jmm wrote:< ... A few very special one offs like Elvis sings Nick and vice versa or with the pres hall jazz band both in SF ... >

Yeah -- those two were special events. It felt like a privilege to be in attendance.

(It's odd that a recording never surfaced of The Chapel shows. Or maybe they did, and I missed them...)
Yeah, those are special always
krm

Post by krm »

My favourite is always the next one.
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

This is a difficult one. Quite a few to choose from but some obvious one stand out. Not all great shows but there is more to it than that.

The first one, 22nd October 1977, on the Stiff Tour at Leicester Uni. I didn't know at the time it would be start of a 43 year obsession but everything about the show was memorable.
The Dominion Shows in December 78 stand out as so much was happening in my life at the time with losing my father and this brought a sense of needed relief.
Hammersmith Palais in January 79. Not renowned as a great performance but I loved the venue and the poignancy of the occasion meant so much.
The Rainbow 50th Anniversary show in September 1980.
The Royal Albert Hall gig in January 82 with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I loved it.
De Montfort Hall, Leicester in October 83 on the Punch the Clock Tour mainly as it was the first time I met Elvis.
The show at the Clickimin Centre on the Shetlands in July 91 just as it was a crazy event and we seemed to spend a lot of time both before and after the show with Elvis and the Rude 5!
I've also a soft spot for the show at Kew Gardens in July 2014 because of the having the MacManus Brothers all on stage together and Larkin Poe, of course.
The Beacon Theatre in New York in November 2016 as it was my first time seeing Elvis in the States.

I've still got a ticket for Oxford for if and when it gets rescheduled, so hopefully that will join the list of special ones.
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Offshoreram wrote:This is a difficult one. Quite a few to choose from but some obvious one stand out. Not all great shows but there is more to it than that.

The first one, 22nd October 1977, on the Stiff Tour at Leicester Uni. I didn't know at the time it would be start of a 43 year obsession but everything about the show was memorable.
The Dominion Shows in December 78 stand out as so much was happening in my life at the time with losing my father and this brought a sense of needed relief.
Hammersmith Palais in January 79. Not renowned as a great performance but I loved the venue and the poignancy of the occasion meant so much.
The Royal Albert Hall gig in January 82 with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I loved it.
De Montfort Hall, Leicester in October 83 on the Punch the Clock Tour mainly as it was the first time I met Elvis.
The show at the Clickimin Centre on the Shetlands in July 91 just as it was a crazy event and we seemed to spend a lot of time both before and after the show with Elvis and the Rude 5!
I've also a soft spot for the show at Kew Gardens in July 2014 because of the having the MacManus Brothers all on stage together and Larkin Poe, of course.
The Beacon Theatre in New York in November 2016 as it was my first time seeing Elvis in the States.

I've still got a ticket for Oxford for if and when it gets rescheduled, so hopefully that will join the list of special ones.

I'm mortified to see Bristol 2013 isn't on your list when you met VG and myself - surely the apex of all your gig attendances !
But wow, you've seen some really special gigs, I'm pretty jealous of the ones I hadn't attended !
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

To be fair I wouldn’t admit to having met me either.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

sulky lad wrote: I've raved about my favourite gig so many times (http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Liverpool)
but I'll never forget the sheer excitement of The New Picket in Liverpool's elite luxury housing development!
That was the best (btw that area is now very trendy a vibrant 'independents quarter' - at least it was before COVID struck).
Neil. wrote:It would probably have to be my first, aged 18 - Liverpool Royal Court, 8 and 9 Dec 1986 - Blood & Chocolate/Spinning Songbook tour.
Andrew Scofield (Scully) was special guest - wonder what he's doing now? - and Alan Bleasdale was in the royal box
Neil, sooo jealous, I missed those two - hangs head in shame - sold out before I could get tickets.Thankfully big chunks of the second are on Youtube. 'Drew Schofield has had a very good career as a character actor since you saw him : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Schofield_(actor) you will remember his dream job is playing Lonesome Rhodes at Liverpool Playhouse. Much published author Mark Billingham was one of the wheel spinners.

Liverpool's Royal Court Theatre was a fabulous venue to see EC, but it doesn't feature in my list of 2nd favourite shows, which are today :

St Georges Hall Concert Room : 5th May 1972, 18 year old me watching a 17 year old Declan & two mates supporting Tir Na Nog, I have no recollection at all of the show, but I was there, deffo : http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Liverpool.

Eric's 25th March 1978 with the Attractions £1.75 entry, heaving, sweaty, tiny club, raw energy from the performers, up front on the crash-barriers. I remember Elvis saying we were better than the audience the previous night, who had apparently started 'believing the hype' of the venue, which was getting much praise in NME. I took this to mean that we clapped louder!

Philharmonic Hall : 28th June 2010 with The Sugarcanes. Marvellous show with these world class musicians, but the principle thing which makes this special was the performance of Red Cotton which flags up the shapely links of my (and his) city with the slave trade ( "Merchants will gather at St. George's Hall/To unveil the kneeling slave who is carved upon the wall/So picture the scene on the Old Salt House docks/Where they loaded the iron shackles and locks/Between a sandstone crocodile, a barrel and a bale/You will see the nameless faces they were offering for sale") .This was a very special, passionate vocal from EC, rapturously applauded by an audience who sensed that this really 'meant something' to the singer.

Liverpool's Eventim Olympia : 28th February 2020 - wonderful show, standing like the best of the Royal Court era, second row, dead centre in front of the microphone.Stand out moment when EC informed us that his Ma was in attendance, aged 90+ . Heart movingly unforgettable.

Mudchester Palace Theatre : 12th March 2020 - another wonderful show, seated this time, gifted a great ticket by a pal, band and singer definitely had their blood up, I feel really privileged to see this just before Death with his big hat entered our lives so tragically. Memories of this gig have warmed my spirits in these dark days.

It's been great to read others' favourites.

Colin Top Balcony
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Another terrific Elvis concert that I saw:

Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ. on 10/06/11; with The Imposters and featuring a set with the late, great Hubert Sumlin.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Montclair

Hubert Sumlin had to be wheeled out in a wheelchair, with an oxygen tank. But he was great. Elvis channeling his best Howlin' Wolf for Commit A Crime, Hidden Charms, and Killing Floor/Shake For Me.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Miclewis spin 6 was me for Oliver’s army. A fun night indeed, even if I hadn’t shared the stage!!!
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

sulky lad wrote:
Offshoreram wrote:This is a difficult one. Quite a few to choose from but some obvious one stand out. Not all great shows but there is more to it than that.

I'm mortified to see Bristol 2013 isn't on your list when you met VG and myself - surely the apex of all your gig attendances !
But wow, you've seen some really special gigs, I'm pretty jealous of the ones I hadn't attended !
It actually was great gig made all the better by meeting your good selfs, but I can't list them all, can I? :wink:
My head is spinning and my legs are weak
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Offshoreram wrote:
sulky lad wrote:

It actually was great gig made all the better by meeting your good selfs, but I can't list them all, can I? :wink:
Just sorry we didn't get to meet at Oxford this year ! :(
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

Seeing all of the NJ shows referenced is really bumming me out seeing as I only saw my first show in 2018.
jmm

Post by jmm »

JerseyPride78 wrote:Seeing all of the NJ shows referenced is really bumming me out seeing as I only saw my first show in 2018.
Hopefully more to come someday soon JerseyPride78
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

jmm wrote:
JerseyPride78 wrote:Seeing all of the NJ shows referenced is really bumming me out seeing as I only saw my first show in 2018.
Hopefully more to come someday soon JerseyPride78
Hear, hear!!