Trust Survivor - Round 9

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Trust Survivor - Round 9

Post by kosi559 »

Trust Survivor - Round 9
Sorry for being late. Strict Time is out.
New Lace Sleeves is the winner of side two.

VOTE A SONG OUT HERE
https://strawpoll.com/a32f412sp

SONGS IN

SIDE ONE
- Clubland
- You'll Never Be A Man
- Watch Your Step

SIDE TWO
- New Lace Sleeves

SONGS OUT
Rank Song Votes Percentage
14th Luxembourg 26/71 36.6%
13th Fish 'N' Chip Paper 11/66 16.7%
12th Pretty Words 11/59 18.6%
12th Lover's Walk 11/59 18.6%
10th Different Finger 15/66 22.7%
9th White Knuckles 14/58 24.1%
9th From a Whisper to a Scream 14/58 24.1%
7th Shot With His Own Gun 13/30 43.3%
6th Big Sister's Clothes 24/61 39.3%
5th Strict Time 19/56 33.9%
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
Neil.

Re: Trust Survivor - Round 9

Post by Neil. »

Not happy about this result. Strict Time is such an incredible rhythmic/melodic tumbling ride through the hills on an out of control train.

Watch Your Step is fantastic but it doesn't thrill like Strict Time.

That song continues the shocking violence featured on the album - 'broken noses hung up on the wall - backslapping drinkers cheer the heavweight brawl - so punch-drunk they don't understand at all'

The most violent image on the album is 'Maybe they should be hung by their tongues' - I mean, shit?! White Knuckles is horrible: 'He needs her like the axe needs the turkey'

Very uncomfortable album, but the incredible melodies go hand in hand to show that humans are full of light and shade.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil. wrote:Not happy about this result. Strict Time is such an incredible rhythmic/melodic tumbling ride through the hills on an out of control train.

Watch Your Step is fantastic but it doesn't thrill like Strict Time.

That song continues the shocking violence featured on the album - 'broken noses hung up on the wall - backslapping drinkers cheer the heavweight brawl - so punch-drunk they don't understand at all'

The most violent image on the album is 'Maybe they should be hung by their tongues' - I mean, shit?! White Knuckles is horrible: 'He needs her like the axe needs the turkey'

Very uncomfortable album, but the incredible melodies go hand in hand to show that humans are full of light and shade.
Wonderful, wonderful summary Neil !
Sums up one of the most under-rated of Elvis' canon. If he'd released this ast the time of AF or TYM, he'd have been hailed as an even greater talent then he was at the time, imho. I love it to bits and I haven't even got close to having a favourite or "least liked" song
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I have to give a shout out to “Strict Time”; a song that equates sex, factory work, and the music business - all with triple puns!! What’s not to Love!!
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

At last Strict Time is out! (Though Neil's post makes a great case for it!)

It's had my vote since the first round. Not that it is a bad song at all, simply that at the beginning it was one of four or five I might have chosen and I've kept with it. As other more wonderful songs (at least in my opinion) have fallen by the wayside, the fact that I've been more and more out of kilter with general opinion has made checking the result of each round quite enjoyable in a perverse sort of way.

Much more difficult to choose this round!