New song ‘Hetty O’Hara Confidential’, July 10, 2020

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: New song ‘Hetty O’Hara Confidential’, July 10, 2020

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Wow - this thread has turned into something FAR more interesting!

Maybe the Elvis/Paul disconnect had a little to do with their marketing styles and the contrasting ways their managers treated their fans...

Hmmmmmm :shock: :shock:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Time to dig this out, from 1983. They liked each other enough to share the stage back then:

https://youtu.be/fqrnWsNSlUo
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Harry Lime wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:
Hetty is what I call one of Elvis's tuneless too many words songs. I didnt like it on first listen but on the second it fell right into place. I probabaly prefer it to No Flag but they are both good.

Sheep, I'm intrigued. Which other songs would you consider in this category?
Off the top of my head, Button my lip, almost ideal eyes, uncomplicated, upon a veil of midnight blue, Hora Decubitus and I know its not his song married to my hack on the New Basement Tapes album. Not that I dislike any of these songs. And I said in the previous thread I actually really like Hetty

I agree I don't think Elvis and Weller were every really friends probably more to do with both of them being grumpy bastards. :D
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:I agree I don't think Elvis and Weller were every really friends probably more to do with both of them being grumpy bastards. :D
LOL Sheep!

I like most of Elvis's stuff in general but I agree there's the odd occasion when the tumble of words is too much, like there's no room to breathe. But of course that is an artistic choice - it certainly makes things edgy and claustrophobic to listen to, which is probably the idea. But I don't particulary like those ones - Bedlam is the one everyone seems to like that I just can't get into!
sheeptotheslaughter

Neil. wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:I agree I don't think Elvis and Weller were every really friends probably more to do with both of them being grumpy bastards. :D
LOL Sheep!

I like most of Elvis's stuff in general but I agree there's the odd occasion when the tumble of words is too much, like there's no room to breathe. But of course that is an artistic choice - it certainly makes things edgy and claustrophobic to listen to, which is probably the idea. But I don't particulary like those ones - Bedlam is the one everyone seems to like that I just can't get into!

Bedlam is another of those, you are right. I did think about putting it down but forgot. I was like you with Bedlam, (Cousin Pete doesn't like it either) but one night I was Powerwalking from Liverpool Street to Stratford with the iPod classic on shuffle when Pete's drums came crashing in and I had an epiphany and have loved the song every since
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote:Bedlam is another of those, you are right. I did think about putting it down but forgot. I was like you with Bedlam, (Cousin Pete doesn't like it either) but one night I was Powerwalking from Liverpool Street to Stratford with the iPod classic on shuffle when Pete's drums came crashing in and I had an epiphany and have loved the song every since
LOL, you paint quite a picture - I can imagine that famous barnet billowing majestically in the breeze down Bishopsgate. I'll have to give the song another spin - I haven't listened to it for yonks.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Harry Lime wrote:
sheeptotheslaughter wrote:I don't think Elvis and Weller were every really friends probably more to do with both of them being grumpy bastards. :D
I think this is the bottom line! In my head, I'd see Weller accusing Costello as 'lacking soul' or some such, and Costello accusing Weller of being more into 'digging the groove' than in actually writing decent songs. But that's entirely an imaginary play that happens in my mind. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Neil. wrote:LOL, you paint quite a picture - I can imagine that famous barnet billowing majestically in the breeze down Bishopsgate.
Neil. - that could be the funniest thing I’ve ever heard you say! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Haha - cheers, Verbal! Hope all well with you x
sheeptotheslaughter

Neil. wrote:Haha - cheers, Verbal! Hope all well with you x
Neil you want to see the barnet now its half way down my back. Plus I am sporting a beard Im going thru my MLAR phase
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Neil you want to see the barnet now its half way down my back. Plus I am sporting a beard Im going thru my MLAR phase
What, All Grown Up ? !! :wink:
It's just because you're in Goon Squad's teams place in the Champions League :roll:
verbal gymnastics

8)

Please keep growing it until we have a proper meet up!
sheeptotheslaughter

verbal gymnastics wrote:
8)

Please keep growing it until we have a proper meet up!
I tie it back for work I feel like the guy in Spooky girlfriend. :D :D

Mrs Sheep likes it so i probably wont cut it for some time
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Hahhaha! OMG, keep it going! It's a marvellous mane!
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Did anyone notice an entry on EC's Facebook page by Nemi Von Fritzenberg? She says Rose Brennan, who sang with Ross MacManus in the Joe Loss orchestra, had a cousin named "Hetty O'Haire." An improbable coincidence?
sheeptotheslaughter

Neil. wrote:
Hahhaha! OMG, keep it going! It's a marvellous mane!
I now have longer hair than Maura.
verbal gymnastics

Brilliant.

I want a photo!
sheeptotheslaughter

verbal gymnastics wrote:Brilliant.

I want a photo!
I will sort you one. There is the odd one on my facebook page. I normally tie it back though like the character in the song spooky girlfriend :D :D