The new 'major key' songs

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

The new 'major key' songs

Post by Neil. »

Elvis was saying in the recent NHS online Q&A that he's been writing a lot of 'major key' songs.

I'll be REALLY intrigued to hear these. I remembered we were chatting about this topic a while back and have dug out the thread - it's here.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... g#p7734962

We couldn't find all that many outright joyous songs. There's a massive pop rush to so many of them - but I guess the wonderfully world-weary lyrics often make it impossible for Elvis to be totally joyous.

So these new ones are really intriguing! Can't wait to hear them!
docinwestchester

Re: The new 'major key' songs

Post by docinwestchester »

We he said that, this lyric immediately came to my mind:

Monday morning, I just got home
Six and the birds are singing
I need a drink and my clothes are wet
Ooh, and my ears are still ringing
There's a rock and roll singer boppin' on the TV
He used to be a preacher, but now he sings in a major key
Amended his decision to the new religion

Success Story
The Who (John Entwistle)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

It seems a little bit bland to say he's decided to only write major chord songs as they are the sort that end up like twelve bar blues, (eg CCCFCCCFGCCC) or whatever) and a lot of his songs start in major keys anyway- the subtlety of his music has always been the modulation between major and minor chords or when he modulates ( think of Clowntime Is over where he moves from C major to G sharp major for example). I think if you were to have karaoke versions of his songs the music would sound more uplifting because of the absence of his lyrics !
This looks like I'm writing this when I'm pissed but I'm not -honest ! Anyway, I bet Neil gets what I mean ! :D
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

True, Sulky - though I'm intrigued to see what he means. You're right, loads of his songs have a major key joyousness to them - and start in major keys. Must be tough to write a song that doesn't include any minor chords at all - as you say, they'd get repetitive!

Maybe our hero could do an isolation demo of some of the new songs?!!