Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
Hawksmoor

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by Hawksmoor »

sweetest punch wrote:http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11654

Elvis in Mojo #324:
ELVIS COSTELLO Enter the Renaissance Man of pop, bearing a new album and a definitive Armed Forces redux. How was his recent visit to the Palace? “Nobody was unpleasant.”
It is intriguing. 'Definitive' doesn't sound like a re-recorded version with new (Spanish) vocals. For me it has the vibe of a bells-and-whistles box-set with demos, out-takes, live versions, and so on. I could be wrong (that's definitely happened before).
krm

Re: New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by krm »

Hawksmoor wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11654

Elvis in Mojo #324:
ELVIS COSTELLO Enter the Renaissance Man of pop, bearing a new album and a definitive Armed Forces redux. How was his recent visit to the Palace? “Nobody was unpleasant.”
It is intriguing. 'Definitive' doesn't sound like a re-recorded version with new (Spanish) vocals. For me it has the vibe of a bells-and-whistles box-set with demos, out-takes, live versions, and so on. I could be wrong (that's definitely happened before).
It could be both variants - a huge box set and the spanish re-recordings
jardine

Re: Armed Forces redux - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by jardine »

When i think of the sound of armed forces, it seems like it already is full of bells and whistles! Either way --español or not -- this is an interesting thing...
And No Coffee Table

Re: Armed Forces redux - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by And No Coffee Table »

EC already confirmed that This Year's Model is the Spanish album, so Armed Forces redux must be a second project.
sweetest punch

Re: Armed Forces redux 6 CD, April 2021- release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albu

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... -interview

Punch the 'Clockface': Elvis Costello On Making Albums In a Streaming World

The legend's new album sounds both current and timeless — and he’s looking back at his catalog, too.

(...)

You own a lot of your master recordings. How important is that to you?

I own all of my albums except the ones made for Warner [from 1989 to 1996]. The ones I’ve recorded for Universal [starting in the late ‘90s] will revert to me and I own the ones before Blood and Chocolate, as well as my publishing. The kind of music I make doesn’t sell a lot of copies, and I’m not fantastically wealthy, partly because I’ve always invested what I have made into making more music or into fantastic follies like the “Spectacular Spinning Songbook” [the 1986 and 2011 tours on which Costello decided which songs to play by spinning a giant wheel onstage]. But I like the danger and the uncertainty. And the idea that there’s an audience for music I made a long time ago as well as music I’m making now is a wonderful thing.

At the same time, my catalog has been in some disarray for a number of years.

Are you planning to address that?

Recently I went to a meeting at a record company for the first time since the ’90s [at Universal, which last year renewed its global license deal for most of Costello’s recordings]. We began with the idea that if we were going to do another edition [of reissues], we couldn’t simply issue the records again. And I realized that, who better than the person who wrote the songs to tell you what else is there – things that I never released, live recordings. Let’s face it: This is now 40 years [after Costello’s early albums]. I can’t imagine there being another edition of releases after this one. And the first will be a six-record set based on “Armed Forces.”

Armed Forces is full of references to fascism, often as a metaphor, so it resonates with what’s happening now in an uncomfortable way.

There are all those sayings about history repeating itself. It’s not something you can plan for. That said, I think Armed Forces holds up pretty well. And the package includes three live recordings ranging from the summer of ‘78 to the summer of ‘79, so it traces the development of the Attractions as a live act, from a club combo to a successful pop group – it’s quite interesting to hear. I had expert help in photographing my handwritten notebooks. So you’re getting something.

Are you going to do that with all of your albums?

If we can. Right now, it’s in everybody’s interest to let me do it the way I’m seeing it.

I can’t be certain when I’ll set foot on the stage again; or, frankly, whether the audience that largely comes to see me — who are inevitably more of my generation — will ever want to come to a theater again. So in the interim, I want to take the music I recorded some time ago and present it in a way that’s as exciting as it was when we first released it.

We’ve done a new version of one of the albums from my catalog, and that’s going to come out next April. And we’re making a compilation based on [Costello’s 1998 album with Burt Bacharach] Painted from Memory, in the hope that we’ll complete the picture with some other songs we’ve written that people still haven’t heard.

Armed Forces is a great album, but you’ve talked about how that wasn’t a happy time in your life. Was it difficult to look back?

There’s a difference between the person who made the record and the person who was on the road – constantly from the summer of 1977 to the summer of 1979, while making two albums during that time. The disarray of my life has been written about. So look at what the songs are saying, not the words that came out of my mouth on one night.

I assume you’re talking about the infamous incident in 1979, in a hotel bar in Columbus, Ohio, where you got into a drunken argument with members of Stephen Stills’ band and made racist comments about Ray Charles and James Brown. You’ve said that those comments don’t reflect your real feelings.

I was trying to make a joke, which in my youthful arrogance horribly backfired. And it’s been in my biography in the most humiliating way. It’s a source of great pain that we’re even speaking about it. But I say that with no self-pity. And I’m not having it that that’s who I am. I love every note of music played by the people that I said those terrible things about.

So I don’t want to focus Armed Forces on a sense of personal tragedy. It’s a familiar and not very noble story, but inside of all that, we were still making songs that I value and obviously some people still hold in some kind of regard.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Armed Forces redux 6 CD - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

If I read it well, EC announces two reissues:
Armed Forces 6 CD and a new version of one of the albums from his catalog that’s going to come out next April ( The Spanish version of This Year’s Model )?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Re: Armed Forces redux 6 CD, April 2021- release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albu

Post by sulky lad »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... -interview

Punch the 'Clockface': Elvis Costello On Making Albums In a Streaming World

The legend's new album sounds both current and timeless — and he’s looking back at his catalog, too.

(...)

You own a lot of your master recordings. How important is that to you?

I own all of my albums except the ones made for Warner [from 1989 to 1996]. The ones I’ve recorded for Universal [starting in the late ‘90s] will revert to me and I own the ones before Blood and Chocolate, as well as my publishing. The kind of music I make doesn’t sell a lot of copies, and I’m not fantastically wealthy, partly because I’ve always invested what I have made into making more music or into fantastic follies like the “Spectacular Spinning Songbook” [the 1986 and 2011 tours on which Costello decided which songs to play by spinning a giant wheel onstage]. But I like the danger and the uncertainty. And the idea that there’s an audience for music I made a long time ago as well as music I’m making now is a wonderful thing.

At the same time, my catalog has been in some disarray for a number of years.

Are you planning to address that?

Recently I went to a meeting at a record company for the first time since the ’90s [at Universal, which last year renewed its global license deal for most of Costello’s recordings]. We began with the idea that if we were going to do another edition [of reissues], we couldn’t simply issue the records again. And I realized that, who better than the person who wrote the songs to tell you what else is there – things that I never released, live recordings. Let’s face it: This is now 40 years [after Costello’s early albums]. I can’t imagine there being another edition of releases after this one. And the first will be a six-record set based on “Armed Forces.”

Armed Forces is full of references to fascism, often as a metaphor, so it resonates with what’s happening now in an uncomfortable way.

There are all those sayings about history repeating itself. It’s not something you can plan for. That said, I think Armed Forces holds up pretty well. And the package includes three live recordings ranging from the summer of ‘78 to the summer of ‘79, so it traces the development of the Attractions as a live act, from a club combo to a successful pop group – it’s quite interesting to hear. I had expert help in photographing my handwritten notebooks. So you’re getting something.

Are you going to do that with all of your albums?

If we can. Right now, it’s in everybody’s interest to let me do it the way I’m seeing it.

I can’t be certain when I’ll set foot on the stage again; or, frankly, whether the audience that largely comes to see me — who are inevitably more of my generation — will ever want to come to a theater again. So in the interim, I want to take the music I recorded some time ago and present it in a way that’s as exciting as it was when we first released it.

We’ve done a new version of one of the albums from my catalog, and that’s going to come out next April. And we’re making a compilation based on [Costello’s 1998 album with Burt Bacharach] Painted from Memory, in the hope that we’ll complete the picture with some other songs we’ve written that people still haven’t heard.

Armed Forces is a great album, but you’ve talked about how that wasn’t a happy time in your life. Was it difficult to look back?

There’s a difference between the person who made the record and the person who was on the road – constantly from the summer of 1977 to the summer of 1979, while making two albums during that time. The disarray of my life has been written about. So look at what the songs are saying, not the words that came out of my mouth on one night.

I assume you’re talking about the infamous incident in 1979, in a hotel bar in Columbus, Ohio, where you got into a drunken argument with members of Stephen Stills’ band and made racist comments about Ray Charles and James Brown. You’ve said that those comments don’t reflect your real feelings.

I was trying to make a joke, which in my youthful arrogance horribly backfired. And it’s been in my biography in the most humiliating way. It’s a source of great pain that we’re even speaking about it. But I say that with no self-pity. And I’m not having it that that’s who I am. I love every note of music played by the people that I said those terrible things about.

So I don’t want to focus Armed Forces on a sense of personal tragedy. It’s a familiar and not very noble story, but inside of all that, we were still making songs that I value and obviously some people still hold in some kind of regard.

What can I say - this man is amazing and brilliant- such contrasts,the martial glory of Armed Forces and the tender fragility of PFM.
So what albums next if YOU got to choose?

I'll take 6 CDs worth of Get Happy! with some rare live stuff like the complete Kampuchea , Hammersmith December 1979 or any of the U.K. tour 1980 and ATUB with any of the Costello/Nieve followed by full Attractions gigs from 1996!
thepopeofpop

Re: Armed Forces redux 6 CD - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by thepopeofpop »

sweetest punch wrote:If I read it well, EC announces two reissues:
Armed Forces 6 CD and a new version of one of the albums from his catalog that’s going to come out next April ( The Spanish version of This Year’s Model )?
Yes, that's it.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:If I read it well, EC announces two reissues:
I also read it as referring to two releases, but I don't think he quite says Armed Forces will be six CDs. A "six-record set" on vinyl might be only three or four CDs.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I’m starting a new thread for Armed Forces Redux and rename this one after the Spanish This Year’s Model.
plasticman6

Re: Spanish This Year’s Model - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by plasticman6 »

And we’re making a compilation based on [Costello’s 1998 album with Burt Bacharach] Painted from Memory, in the hope that we’ll complete the picture with some other songs we’ve written that people still haven’t heard.
THREE reissues I think: an expanded PFM with songs from the un-staged play.
sweetest punch

Re: Spanish This Year’s Model - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

plasticman6 wrote:
And we’re making a compilation based on [Costello’s 1998 album with Burt Bacharach] Painted from Memory, in the hope that we’ll complete the picture with some other songs we’ve written that people still haven’t heard.
THREE reissues I think: an expanded PFM with songs from the un-staged play.
Let’s hope so!

Elvis told in switchbox TV that he and Burt are going to work together again, as soon as they can be together ( https://youtu.be/rcNJ9cNBCLU at 31:40 minutes ).

Elvis wrote in May ( https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299150 ):
Since writing "God Give Me Strength" together in 1995, Burt and I have written a song for every one of the years since, including the album "Painted From Memory" to which we added another ten songs for a stage musical adaptation of that album, several of which featured on the 2018 album release, "Look Now" and the remainder of which we hope to bring to you before too very long. It is typical of Burt's approach to music and life that we should be discussing our next possible recording session, just as the world was being locked inside.
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jardine

Post by jardine »

okay, let me get this straight. two re-issues (a. forces up to 6 cds and more songs added to my fav. cd, pfm), a spanish redo, AND Clockface? i do think i feel slightly faint!!!

...and very happy...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

jardine wrote:okay, let me get this straight. two re-issues (a. forces up to 6 cds and more songs added to my fav. cd, pfm), a spanish redo, AND Clockface? i do think i feel slightly faint!!!

...and very happy...
I can't quite believe it either and .....
keeping the Bacharach theme ...............

here it comes ..............

I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself ! :wink:
jardine

Post by jardine »

as long as it's not....wait for it!!!

promises promises 8)
And No Coffee Table

"Crawling To The U.S.A. (Spanish Edition)" credited to Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Gian Marco, Nicole Zignago, and Sebastian Krys is on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/album/15lyD4wG9f6LGSbnjttPVw
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Unless Elvis is singing in Spanish, I'm not interested. Otherwise just covers.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

fred darden wrote:Unless Elvis is singing in Spanish, I'm not interested. Otherwise just covers.
Covers is fine for me. I regularly trawl YouTube and make compilation CDs of other artists covering EC songs. This will save me some time. :D
krm

Post by krm »

fred darden wrote:Unless Elvis is singing in Spanish, I'm not interested. Otherwise just covers.
not really, it´s EC&A with guest vocalists. But I get your point.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"Crawling To The U.S.A. (Spanish Edition)" credited to Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Gian Marco, Nicole Zignago, and Sebastian Krys is on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/album/15lyD4wG9f6LGSbnjttPVw
Currently getting 'this content is unavailable''?

ETA: Still in the same boat at 3:00pm UK time. Anybody else been able to listen to it yet?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

krm wrote:
not really, it´s EC&A with guest vocalists. But I get your point.
Nothing new except inferior vocalists ? Why try Spanish singers with the same instrumentation.? I think I’ll quote John Peel on ELP - a waste of electricity and vinyl imho !
And No Coffee Table

I think the one song is fun, but I'm concerned the novelty would wear off fast over a full album.

I find it amusing that the Attractions get to sing on the track but EC doesn't.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Yeah....i am not interested in this crappy crossover. As a guy who liked and saw live: Tito Puente, Celia Cruz and Willie Colon while all still very valid in the 80s or 90s... I DON'T NEED THIS.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Has anyone actually been able to hear this yet? And can tell us what it's like? Despite being the '50 Days' track for Day 47, it doesn't appear to have been added to Spotify yet (in the UK anyway), and any link I click on is either dead, non-existent, or says 'this content is not available'. Has anyone got it yet?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

It’s available in Belgium!
It’s fun!