Elvis plays Beale Street Music Fest., May 2, 2009

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From listserv:
http://www.thebealestreetmusicfestival. ... lineup.htm
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
radiosweetheart

Re: Elvis plays Beale Street Music Fest., May 2, 2009

Post by radiosweetheart »

Now THAT'S a strange line-up of artists if I've ever seen one!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From Elvis' site - what a band!

https://tickets.elviscostello.com/venue ... ow_id=3901

Show Date Show Time City Country Venue
2009-05-02 Memphis, TN US Memphis Beale St Festival (Elvis Costello and The Popular Trend)

Featuring Elvis Costello and The Popular Trend

Popular Trend Band Members:
Pete Thomas- Drums
Davey Faragher- Bass
John McFee- Guitar and Steel Guitar
Jim Dickinson- Keyboards
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.californiachronicle.com/arti ... /129273824

No Slowdown As Costello Goes Back to the Country: Special Dash of Nashville Sound Flavors Album Due in June As Singer Anticipates Fest, Grooving to Al Green

April 30, 2009

By Bob Mehr, The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn.

Apr. 30--As he speaks through a crackling cell phone, Elvis Costello is speeding along the streets of London in the midst of a short tour of the U.K., but his mind is very much on Tennessee.

The veteran British songsmith will appear at the Beale Street Music Festival on Saturday night, and is also anticipating the release of his forthcoming album, Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, recorded in Nashville.

Thirty-plus years and albums into his career, the 54-year-old Costello shows no signs of slowing. He seems particularly enthused about the upcoming Sugarcane -- due in June -- which was cut at Music City's Sound Emporium studio over three days this past winter with longtime foil T-Bone Burnett producing.

"Nashville is a music town, like Memphis, and they have a history of great studios and we found ourselves in one of them," says Costello. "I started with a big stack of songs, not certain what the story I was going to tell was. But I told T-Bone, 'Let's start recording and see what happens.'"

Aiding Costello in his effort was the cream of the city's traditional country and bluegrass players, including bassist Dennis Crouch, mandolin ace Mike Compton, fiddler Stuart Duncan, accordionist Jeff Taylor, Jerry Douglas on Dobro, and Jim Lauderdale and Emmylou Harris on harmony vocals.

"The level of players we had on this record was so high, I could try anything," says Costello. "Once we started recording I had even more confidence that they could deliver on anything I threw at them."

Indeed, the cast of Secret, Profane & Sugarcane takes a truly wide-ranging mix of Costello material -- including a couple of numbers he'd originally penned for the late Johnny Cash, a quartet of songs conceived for a Royal Danish Opera production about Hans Christian Andersen and co-writes with Loretta Lynn and Burnett -- and transforms into a seamless album that emerges, improbably, as one of the most satisfying song cycles in Costello's voluminous catalog.

The disc's dozen originals further confirm his mastery of the language and form of the country story song.

Costello says his appreciation of country came in a roundabout way. "My ability to be exposed to county music was much less than someone who grew up in America. But there were a few records for rock and roll fans that helped us understand (country) music," he says, citing The Byrds' 1968 album, Sweetheart of the Rodeo, the folk-rock group's Gram Parsons-led foray into country music.

"English listeners never had a problem grasping R&B and soul, Stax and Motown, but they didn't necessarily identify country music with soulfulness," says Costello. "The country records that made it onto English radio tended to be of the novelty variety. And so a record like Sweetheart of the Rodeo turned people like myself onto Merle Haggard and the Louvin Brothers, and even re-formed my opinion of Johnny Cash. I knew him as the guy who sang 'A Boy Named Sue.' But that he could write a song as moving and soulful as 'I Still Miss Someone' was a revelation to me at that time, because I didn't know his early stuff."

Costello's love affair with Nashville stretches back to the very beginning of his career. One of the songs written but left off his 1977 debut album, My Aim Is True, was "Stranger in the House" which he later recorded as a duet with honky-tonk great George Jones. At the height of his success in the early '80s, Costello decamped to Music City to record an album of country covers with countrypolitan producer Billy Sherrill, and has returned to the genre on numerous albums since, including 1986's King of America as well as 2004's Delivery Man.

"I was always interested in (country) because of its simplicity but also the deep feeling of the songs," says Costello. "I'm better known for having a lot of images, and lots of words and sometimes tricky uses of words. I like the impression and images one can create with a volume of words. But just as people with straight hair wish they had curly hair, I'm very attracted to that other style of writing, and it's a form that I find myself comfortable working in."

While he's justifiably proud of Sugarcane, Costello is keenly aware that the massive changes in the music industry -- in the very way we receive and regard music -- have lessened the impact of individual records. Costello's new album will be released through coffee retailer Starbucks' Hear Music imprint. That association will certainly give the album a greater visibility than his last effort for Universal, 2008's MOMOFUKU, which Costello elected to put out with little advance or advertising, almost as an experimental guerilla release.

"It's clear that records are a smaller part of our musical endeavors these days. They don't create the waves that they used to; not just my records, but anybody's. Even the big sellers don't create the waves they did 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 25 years ago. That actually hands you a different opportunity, as you can go on stage on any night and present a group of songs that are only linked together by your will to work with the ensemble of players you're performing with at that moment."

True to form, Costello's appearance at the Beale Street Music Festival on Saturday -- which slots him between Los Lobos and Al Green -- will find him reworking material from across his career with a unique group of players.

"The word 'festival' is about celebration. So what you should do for a festival is put a special band together and not play with your regular outfit," says Costello, who has assembled a one-off combo featuring his longtime rhythm section of drummer Peter Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher, along with guitarist John McFee, and noted Memphis native and pianist Jim Dickinson.

"To work with Jim, who's got such a great history and such a great attitude, and has given me nothing but good advice, is going to be a joy. And then, after we're done playing, we get to watch Al Green: I mean, how hard can this job be?" says Costello, laughing. "That should be a rather great way to spend the day."

Elvis Costello

Saturday, 8 p.m. on the Sam's Town Stage at the Beale Street Music Festival.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Aren't you going to this, Mr Foyle?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... -music-in/
Bluesman Hubert Sumlin, 77, included on Rolling Stone's list of 100 greatest guitarists of all time, took the stage with local harmonica virtuoso Billy Gibson. The duo cranked out some moody licks, then brought on their surprise guest.

Elvis Costello, scheduled to play later that evening, leaped onto the stage and got the crowd dancing with a single tune.
Elvis last played with Hubert Sumlin at the same festival four years ago.

Concert 2005-05-01 Memphis
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... -music-in/

Photo: Mark Weber / The Commercial Appeal

Elvis Costello, left, made a guest appearance with Hubert Sumlin , right, at the Blues Tent on the second day of Beale Street Music Festival.

http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2009/may/ ... -costello/

Photo by Nikki Boertman

Elvis Costello made a guest appearance with Hubert Sumlin at the Blues Tent at the Beale Street Music Festival on Saturday.

Rain outside but steam in the blues tent with Sumlin, Costello

By Mark Jordan
Saturday, May 2, 2009
(extract)

The unannounced guest appearance of Elvis Costello during blues legend Hubert Sumlin’s afternoon Blues Tent slot was just one of the early highlights Saturday. (Costello, for his part, made at least one more guest shot later during Los Lobos’ set on the Sam’s Town Stage.)

The British Rock and Roll Hall of Famer joined Sumlin, the late Howlin’ Wolf’s longtime guitarist and widely considered one of the most influential pickers in modern music, about midway through his set. With backing by Memphis’ Billy Gibson Band, Costello sat in for the late Wolf on a version of “Killing Floor,” parrying back and forth with the 77-year-old Sumlin on lead.

http://millerc360.livejournal.com/49819.html

02:19 am - Memphis in MAY - an UPDATE :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Ok

first, My feet are really super god-damn sore!!
ooowieee

I would soak them in my nice super hot jacuzzi tub.
cause i really love doing that...especially when they
are sore..but jaque is sleeping

Next. Wowie, Elvis costello was GREAT!!
I will have to download a song from him.

He really had the place jumping up and down

And he did an AWESOME "watching the detectives"
one of his early songs. He is an amazing lyricyst
especially about disfunctional relationships...
[sorta like trent reznor with "self destructive behavior]

anyway. That is one of my super all time favorite songs
by him...that always gets me pumped up.

and he did a fantasticaly eire lead to it...which i guess
was sort of "jam band" for him....wow really special

anyway, how can you go wrong with lyrics like this

"she is "filing her nails" while they "drag the lake"
or
"cause he can't be hurt,, ,, cause he's got NO HEART

well you get the idea.

CM
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://areacodegreetings.blogspot.com/2 ... e-502.html

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Posted by Chandler

(extract)

The second day of the 2009 Beale St. Music Festival was a rain filled event. I got there about 2:30 and hung out in the blues tent until Susan Tedsch's set started. It rained at a pretty good clip during her whole set. Then it was back into blues tent to dry out a little bit before Los Lobos started. The rain stopped during Los Lobos' set but when Elvis Costello came out and sang Lovelight with them "let it shine," apparently was the wrong the lyric because it started raining again. And pretty much rained throughout the stage change over and Elvis Costello's set. I had planned on catching George Clinton but I was getting chilly and wet. The water finally made it through the rain slicker and my jean shirt and long sleeve t-shirt so I decided it was time to go.
And No Coffee Table

EC's setlist from the wiki:

01. Welcome to the Working Week
02. Uncomplicated (w/David Hildago from Los Lobos)
03. Red Shoes
04. Either Side of the Same Town
05. Everyday I Write the Book
06. Radio, Radio
07. Radio Sweetheart/Jackie Wilson Said
08. Sneaky Feelings
09. Wild Night
10. Sulphur to Sugarcane
11. Waiting for the End of the World/Gloria
12. Watching the Detectives
13. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
14. High Fidelity
15. Alison/Suspicious Minds
Encore 1
16. Singing in the Rain (1 verse- it was raining pretty hard)
17. Pump it Up
18. Peace, Love, and Understanding

It escaped my attention until recently that John McFee played on Van Morrison's original "Wild Night."
hi tone

Post by hi tone »

Great show- lots of fun in the rain. My 13th time seeing the old chap, and he just keeps getting better. This was a great show, because there was a lot of early material played throughout. The new song ("Sulphur") also sounded great. Makes me want to go to the Ryman again for the Sugarcanes!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2009/may/ ... artner=RSS

Heads covered but unbowed as Music Fest fans flock and rock

By Bob Mehr
GoMemphis.com
Saturday, May 2, 2009

(extract)

East Los Angeles Chicano roots rockers Los Lobos evinced a similarly eclectic style during an evening concert on the Sam’s Town stage. The veteran group — led by guitarists/vocalists Cesar Rosas and David Hidalgo — essayed a set that included everything from Latin rocker to Cajun stompers, roadhouse blues to joyous soul.

The band got into the collaborative spirit as well, welcoming drummer Pete Thomas — of Elvis Costello’s Attractions/Impostors fame — for several numbers including an unlikely but thrilling version of the Who’s “My Generation” that found the lanky Thomas reeling off his best Keith Moon triplets. A few songs later Costello himself jumped on stage for a rave up version of the R&B classic “I Got Loaded,” which Los Lobos covered on its How Will The Wolf Survive? album.

Several more songs (and a cheeky homage to the Yardbirds' “I’m A Man”) followed before the band brought a close a performance that set the stage and raised the bar for the headliners to follow.

Costello proved to be worthy of the task. Battling an increasingly hard downpour, he led a special one-off festival band he’d dubbed The Popular Trend – featuring his longtime rhythm section of drummer Pete Thomas and bassist Davey Faragher, along with guitarist John McFee and Memphis pianist Jim Dickinson -- for an 80-minute show that made bearing the elements worthwhile.

The set list included plenty of Costello hits and favorites, a few covers, even a fitting a capella rendition of “Singing in the Rain.” He offered up a spirited take on Van Morrison’s “Wild Night” (a song McFee originally played on) and paid homage to Morrison again during “Waiting for the End of the World,” which he tagged with a coda of Them’s “Gloria.”

Costello and the band tinkered with the arrangements on familiar numbers, and the bespectacled singer toyed with the songs throughout, morphing “Alison” into a tribute to Elvis Presley’s “Suspicious Minds” and merging “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” with The Who’s “The Kids are Alright.”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://argoradio.blogspot.com/2009/05/e ... -bono.html

Argo
blogs -

Thursday, May 7, 2009

(extract)

Elvis Costello visited Graceland recently and stopped by Elvis Radio! He was in Memphis for the Beale Street Music Festival and he did an 80 minute set in the pouring rain. Not to mention, he sat in with 4 or 5 other artist performing at the festival. You can tell this guy just loves Memphis. The history, the feel and yes the MUSIC!

http://www.sirius.com/elvisradio
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I wrote Argo the DJ and he confirms they aired an interview with EC on this channel on SiriusXM. He says it has been replayed several times this week. He said PART of it will be included in the Graceland podcast up at elvis.com next Thursday.

Dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://dontfearthemainstream.blogspot.c ... mphis.html

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Road Trip visit: Sun Studio, Memphis

Posted by Scott

During our trip to Memphis, we took time to stop by Sun Studio, the birthplace of rock n roll, where Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, and many others got their start.

I highly recommend checking out this landmark. Musicians still use it all the time to make records. In fact, during the hour-long tour, Elvis Costello and blues guitarist Hubert Sumlin stopped by to chat.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri May 15, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Some video's on You Tube:
Elvis and Los Lobos - I Got Loaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnhhCjKoEfY
Elvis - Radio Radio chorus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRUClsE8_FU
Elvis - Singing In The Rain/Pump it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-KGrHrR6qo
Elvis - Everyday I Write The Book chorus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXPmRZ14ZVU
Elvis - I Can't Stand Up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3a5sYzJ-s
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hearsay.cc/blog/?p=1539

In a interview for Bonnaroo Elvis says -
....but I just spent two days at the Beale Street festival in Memphis, doing exactly the same thing. Sat in with Hubert Sumlin, sat in with Los Lobos, played my show, watched Al Green. Went back the next day was Jerry Lee, sat in with Bonnie Raitt, watched James Taylor, you can’t beat it you know

http://stageshottz.com/?p=463

Memphis In May Music Festival

May 12th, 2009

By William Simpson

(extract)

The first weekend in May, rain, rock, rap, and the blues…must be the Memphis in May Music Festival. I traveled to Memphis for the last day of the festival hoping the weather would clear up.

A little slower musically but just as exciting was the Sam’s Town stage where Amos Lee led off. After Lee came The Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis. The trimmed down Lewis showed why he is the ultimate showman and ended his set with his signature move– kicking back his piano stool. Then he was into a white limo, gone as fast as he arrived. Bonnie Raitt followed Lewis and even invited Elvis Costello, who performed the night before, to join her onstage for a couple of songs. The night at Sam’s Town Stage ended with the great James Taylor as he sang all his hits. After all these years he still has an amazing voice.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

We joke about the 'curse of Costello' but this is getting ridiculous.

http://swampland.com/posts/view/title:g ... _dickinson

Get Well Wishes For Jim Dickinson

Posted: Jun 07, 2009

Memphis Great Jim Dickinson In Hospital

James Calemine blogs -

Last night at midnight Stanley Booth called me to say Jim Dickinson, the High Priest of Memphis Mojo, had a heart attack. Actually, he told me he had two heart attacks. Dickinson is now is the hospital, and I want to send out get well wishes, prayers and much love to Jim and his family Mary Lindsay, Luther and Cody...

Get well soon Jim.
And No Coffee Table

From a 2002 journal entry from the official site:
Because of Pete and Steve’s involvement, some folk have been quick to point out that this group resembles The Attractions – a band that really broke up in 1986, despite a couple of attempts to work together a few years back. However, I tend to live in the present time and after careful consideration of several identities, including, “The Popular Trend” and “The Lovely Hooligans”, we settled for Pete’s suggestion: “The Imposters”, a suitably preposterous name.
(The whole thing is posted here.)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/for ... id=1580262

August 06, 2009

For the Benefit of Mr. Dickinson

A Memphis legend gets by with a little help from his friends.
by Andria Lisle

Last week, Memphis-based and world-renowned producer/musical raconteur Jim Dickinson sat at his keyboard and plunked out the notes of Furry Lewis' "Kassie Jones." It was a heroic moment, considering the rocky road Dickinson has traveled the past few months.

"In May, Dad had stents put in his heart, and he felt really good," recounts Dickinson's son Luther, a well-known musician in his own right. "Then he suffered from gastrointestinal bleeding, went back to the hospital, and had a massive heart attack. He got better and came home to recuperate before going in for bypass surgery. His heart stopped, but they brought him back. It's been a slow but steady recovery since then."

Friends and family, including Dickinson's wife, Mary Lindsay, and his younger son, Cody, are encouraged by the 68-year-old musician's determination to play music so soon afterward.

"At one point, he had a Sharpie in his hand and he was holding a notepad, composing, which was just the sweetest thing. His memory and personality are all completely there, and he's getting his creative process together, you know?" Luther says.

Even so, it will be a long while before Dickinson has the strength to reenter the recording studio and command the control board, as he has for artists such as the Replacements, Pete "Sonic Boom" Kember, Toots Hibbert, John Hiatt, and Mudhoney — which is why his friends hastened to stage a benefit concert, which is slated for the Peabody Skyway Saturday, August 8th.

Hiatt will headline the sold-out event, along with Dickinson's sons' band, the North Mississippi Allstars, his longtime bandmate Sid Selvidge, and Big Star drummer Jody Stephens. Also appearing are Jimmy Davis, Shannon McNally, Amy LaVere, Jimbo Mathus, the Yallabushwhackers, and Sons of Mudboy — all musicians who have benefited from an association with Dickinson.

"It's going to be a great night of music, but that's almost beside the point," says event organizer David Less, who heads Memphis International Records, the label behind Dickinson's past three solo albums, including Dinosaurs Run in Circles, which was released in May.

"Memphis music would not sound the same without Jim in the world," Less says. "The people he has mentored and influenced on the local scene have made a difference across musical genres, and the entire community owes a debt to him."

Despite the fact that a benefit was held in Oxford, Mississippi, last weekend and another event is on the books for San Francisco later this year, hundreds of supporters have already stepped up, donating time and money to the cause.

Although he's unable to attend, Elvis Costello purchased a table for Saturday's concert, to be auctioned later this week. The Peabody hotel offered space, and the staffs at Ardent Records and at Beale Street Caravan are handling ticket sales and donations. Less credits industry insiders Bob Merlis and Bill Bentley for petitioning major labels and recording artists — ranging from Aretha Franklin and Arlo Guthrie to Ry Cooder and the Rolling Stones — to relinquish recording rights for a limited-edition CD of songs Dickinson either produced or played on, which will be distributed at the event.

"Jim's got Medicare, so fortunately, we're not needing to raise a half-million dollars. He hasn't worked since May, so we just want to make sure he doesn't go broke. People shouldn't go bankrupt if they get sick," Less says.

With a forced layoff of two months, Dickinson can use the help.

Luther says, "Everyone is so financially fragile right now, but being my parents' ages and not having a stable future is really scary. I think retirement is a mirage."

Throughout the whole process, Dickinson has reminded his sons to "take care of your mom and play your gigs."

Both Luther and Cody have taken the advice to heart, substituting for their father at what was supposed to be his May 31st CD-release party at Huey's and forging ahead with their respective groups, which include the Black Crowes and Hill Country Revue.

"Music is what's always held our family together," Luther says. "This [experience] is just one of those things that has made me reevaluate what I want to do with my band. It's proved to me how important music is in making the world go around and how important it is to the strength and continuation of my family.

"Waking up every morning is a blessing, and lifting your arm and feeding yourself is a blessing," Luther says, reiterating the words of his late friend and frequent music collaborator, bluesman Otha Turner.

"I pray that Dad is through the worst of it. Once he gets his strength back, you'd better watch out."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... artner=RSS
R.I.P.

Ebet Roberts

Iconic Memphis musician and producer Jim Dickinson has died at age 67.

Memphis musician Jim Dickinson dies at 67

August 15, 2009

Iconic Memphis musician and producer Jim Dickinson has died.

The 67 year-old Dickinson passed away early Saturday morning in his sleep, according to his wife Mary Lindsay Dickinson. Dickinson had been in ill health for the past few months, and was recuperating from heart surgery at Methodist Extended Care Hospital. “He went peacefully,” said Mary Lindsay.

Just last weekend, a tribute concert, headlined by John Hiatt, had been held in Dickinson’s honor at the Peabody Skyway, to help defray his medical costs.

A third generation piano player, Dickinson was born in Little Rock, Ark., but raised in Memphis. During the course of his colorful half-century career, Dickinson has built a reputation as a session player for the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, a producer for Big Star and the Replacements, a sometime solo artist, and patriarch of a small musical dynasty that includes sons Cody and Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi Allstars.

Dickinson's health woes began following a high-profile performance with Elvis Costello at the Beale Street Music Festival in May. After a physical exam revealed serious cardiac issues, Dickinson was immediately sent into surgery where doctors at Methodist Le Bonheur Hospital in Germantown put in a pair of stents, then sent him home to rest up for bypass surgery.

Dickinson seemed in good health and spirits when The Commercial Appeal caught up with him at his Coldwater, Miss., home in late May, to talk about the release of his new album of classic pop standards, Dinosaurs Run in Circles.

However, just before he was to celebrate the CD release with a show at Huey's on May 31, he had to be rushed back to the hospital with complications. He remained there before finally undergoing triple bypass surgery on June 24. Two days later he went into cardiac arrest. He was revived and spent several weeks recuperating in a cardiac intensive care unit.

Late last month, Dickinson was relocated to a rehabilitation facility; family and friends and physicians had hoped for a slow but eventual recovery that did not come.

“He just never did really get a break,” says Mary Lindsay. “He had so many different things go wrong with him. Every time he would work so hard to get better, something else would happen. It was a long drawn out experience the last few months.”

Dickson’s wife says her husband was in a good place mentally and spiritually at the end. “He had a great life, and he was a consummate family man. He loved music and his family. And he loved Memphis music, specifically.”

The family says there are no immediate plans for a memorial.

--Bob Mehr, 529-2517
migdd

Post by migdd »

One of the greats.

The latest Dickinson-produced release I've been listening to lately is John Hiatt's Master of Disaster. At one point, wasn't Dickinson slated to produce part or all of The Deliveryman?

R.I.P.